IGNORED

Color Temperature of Angel Eyes?

ExGMan

I don't know where to look for this, but I'm interested in knowing the color temperature for the Angel Eyes on my RT. I'm sure the H7 headlight will fail at some point, and I"d like to install something at least close to the color of the LEDs.

Perhaps someone has dealt with the already and has a recommendation?

TIA - John Gamel

Hi-

I don't know the exact temperature either, but obviously it's quite high on the scale (closer to blue.) Why would you want the bulbs to match this color? Such a high K reduces the actual visible light available when broadcast forward. It's fine for an accent, but for an actual headlight bulb, it will actually be a detriment, not a benefit. Replace the bulb with a high quality model like Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, which are a tad higher on the Kelvin scale vs. stock and offer a boost in visibility as well.

A longer and more technical writeup can be seen here http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html Silverstars are my bulb of choice and I have yet to have one fail in over 18 years of riding with them.

-MKL

Moshe, I really like the SilverStar bulbs for light output. Cannot be beat for a conventional bulb. In my cars. But I could not get hardly ANY mileage out of them in the old RT or the V Stroms. I assume ( you know how that can turn out...) that they have smaller filaments that get hotter and put out more light. But don't handle vibrations well.

Let us know how they hold up in the new RT. They may be isolated better in the new fairing setup, and the bike itself does vibrate a lot less.

I did not want something that was blue...just something a little closer to the whiter color of the Angel Eyes. I think that something in the 4100K would be the right thing, and that seems to be the Silverstar Ultra. I'm going to get a pair from Amazon ($33/pair) and have them on hand with the inevitable failure of the OEM bulb occurs.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Terry,

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had one fail. Not in my 2004 RT, not in my 2009 RT - forget about RTs - not in my Harley Davidsons! Now THOSE vibrate, and still no failures. Could be luck, but I'm expecting the same here......

-MKL

If you want Silverstars, get Osram Silverstars. Sylvania Silverstars are PepBoys junk. They are not the same and Osram Silverstars aren't blue. And there's no class action suit involving Osram Silverstars.

Archived