IGNORED

'14 RT Oil Filter Question and 6k mile service

hopz

The leaking coolant demon happened again for me. I took it over to the dealer this time and showed it to the fellow who manages the service department. (first time they had a different Service writer- thank goodness they replaced him)

He said wow... too bad.... if it leaks again I will get you in to have it replaced. All a very friendly conversation. Well, it did it again and he was good as his word. The New coolant pump was installed yesterday no questions, no problem, no cost to me. Had right at 5,200 miles on it.

When I picked it up the service writer went over the ticket and it showed 5 quarts of oil... ? She said they drain and refill the oil when they do the coolant pump replacement... BUT... they do not change the filter...? OK then she said I might want to change the filter too.

OK, anyone know if you can pull the old filter off and install a new one without draining the oil? In other words is the filter "above" the level of the oil?

and... also... since I am so near the 6k service mark I had her run the check list of the 6k service. I'm thinking the 6k ought to be easy to do at home. The only things I see to be done is brake fluid change for front and rear brakes, and change of the final drive lube.

Both of these services I did at home regularly on my '05 RT and I figure it ought to be easy. Anyone done these at home and have tips/tricks?

It appears the bottom of the oil filter is lower than the oil level in the sight glass. That is the bottom of the oil filter, but the center of the filter is probably higher. Depends on where the machined holes are behind the filter. Probably on your own on that. Probably have to add some oil anyway, I would try it. Ask the dealer for what is left of the 5 quarts, they don't hold that much!

Final drive oil is easy to change. But watch out for the drain plugs. They have the same diameter threads, but the thread pitch is different. Make double sure the one with the magnet goes back in the bottom. My dealer messed this up on mine....

Brake fluid change is only required if the bike is a year old as I recall. I just done mine for the 12K. Easy. I highly recommend getting the speed bleeders. Compared to the dark ritual of the brake service on the '04 RT, this one brought a big smile!

Did you have them set the service indicator? If not, only the GS 911 wifi will do that for you at home.

...since I am so near the 6k service mark I had her run the check list of the 6k service...and change of the final drive lube.

The checklists I've seen say the final drive fluid gets changed at 12K. If it is indeed 6K, I'm seriously overdue.

Ken

...since I am so near the 6k service mark I had her run the check list of the 6k service...and change of the final drive lube.

The checklists I've seen say the final drive fluid gets changed at 12K. If it is indeed 6K, I'm seriously overdue.

Ken

Ken,

The spec is at 600 miles then 12,000 miles. I change mine at each oil change, it's easy and doesn't require much supply's. It's an way to keep an eye on it. Personal choice.

Jay

Did you have them set the service indicator? If not, only the GS 911 wifi will do that for you at home.

I decided against spending the money for a GS911 just for resetting the service reminder! :) The reminder goes away shortly after you start your bike anyway. I know that there are other uses for the device, but I will spend the money when I need to do the diagnostic on the bike.

BTW, I had just done my 6k service on my '15 RT, and a full gallon (US) of oil was the perfect volume. Brought the oil level up to about 3/4 of the way up the sight glass, after a short engine run. I don't care for the horizontal orientation of the filter, because I always pre-fill new a filter, and I couldn't do that in this case.

I decided against spending the money for a GS911 just for resetting the service reminder! :) The reminder goes away shortly after you start your bike anyway.

I don't care for the horizontal orientation of the filter, because I always pre-fill new a filter, and I couldn't do that in this case.

I know the service reminder comes on at startup when a service interval is coming due, but I though I read that once you pass a certain time/mileage the service reminder changes to a larger yellow display and stays on? That is one reason I just went ahead and sold my wifes wedding ring to buy the GS 911 wifi.

Horizontally mounted oil filters can still be prefilled. I usually do a ritual of topping them off 3-4 times before installing them. Just throw it up in place and start spinning them immediately. That keeps any oil from coming out.

Hello Fellow Travelers... I can testify with a very high level of assurance that you can remove the oil filter while the oil in the sight glass is at the mid-way mark... half a glass.

Yes, you will spill some and if you are prepared by stuffing shop rags around the old one and being quick you will only spill a few ounces... but you will spill some.

I feel better now. Ride tomorrow.

I decided against spending the money for a GS911 just for resetting the service reminder! :) The reminder goes away shortly after you start your bike anyway.

I don't care for the horizontal orientation of the filter, because I always pre-fill new a filter, and I couldn't do that in this case.

I know the service reminder comes on at startup when a service interval is coming due, but I though I read that once you pass a certain time/mileage the service reminder changes to a larger yellow display and stays on? That is one reason I just went ahead and sold my wifes wedding ring to buy the GS 911 wifi.

Horizontally mounted oil filters can still be prefilled. I usually do a ritual of topping them off 3-4 times before installing them. Just throw it up in place and start spinning them immediately. That keeps any oil from coming out.

I opted to wait and see what the service reminder looked like before springing for that GS911! :) The small wrench symbol, by itself, started to appear briefly a couple of hundred miles before the service is due, and that color band appeared right on 6k. My dealer did the 600 miles service (at 1,000 miles), and so I am assuming that they had set the reminder to 6k. I will have them update the RT's computer and reset the service reminder when it go in for new set of tires, probably early next year.

On the pre-fill - yeah, I did think of partially pre-filling, but decided against it. At my age, I am not as dexterous as I used to be, and I was sure that I would make quite a mess of it! So, I just started the engine up after the oil change and kept my hands well away from the throttle! I did not like the sound from the engine, as the filter fills, but may be it's just my imagination! I think that next time, I will disconnect the spark plugs and run the starter for 30 seconds or so to fill the filter!

The leaking coolant demon happened again for me. I took it over to the dealer this time and showed it to the fellow who manages the service department. (first time they had a different Service writer- thank goodness they replaced him)

He said wow... too bad.... if it leaks again I will get you in to have it replaced. All a very friendly conversation. Well, it did it again and he was good as his word. The New coolant pump was installed yesterday no questions, no problem, no cost to me. Had right at 5,200 miles on it.

When I picked it up the service writer went over the ticket and it showed 5 quarts of oil... ? She said they drain and refill the oil when they do the coolant pump replacement... BUT... they do not change the filter...? OK then she said I might want to change the filter too.

OK, anyone know if you can pull the old filter off and install a new one without draining the oil? In other words is the filter "above" the level of the oil?

and... also... since I am so near the 6k service mark I had her run the check list of the 6k service. I'm thinking the 6k ought to be easy to do at home. The only things I see to be done is brake fluid change for front and rear brakes, and change of the final drive lube.

Both of these services I did at home regularly on my '05 RT and I figure it ought to be easy. Anyone done these at home and have tips/tricks?

Bob, I had just re-read your original post and wants to make some comments, now that I have done the 6k services myself.

First, in case you missed it in the other forum, you should download the service sheets from here (you won't see anything for the WC RT, and so select WC GS, which is the same): http://www.ascycles.com/service_schedules.aspx

If you had the FD fluid change at 600 miles service, you don't need it at 6k!

Brake fluid flush is specified for the end of the 1st year, and then every two years. Very easy to do. DO make sure to get the slave cylinders pressed all the way back before doing the flush, to get all the old fluids out. JVB suggests using a pair plastic door wedges, I think that's what he had called them, but they are actually shims that are used for carpentry and not door wedges! I had some wooden ones handy (less than $2 a pack at Home Depot) and they worked quite fine to force the cylinders to retract and held them in place while I was flushing the fluid.

Lastly, I kept good record by filling in the service sheet with the odometer reading, date, and checking off the items that were done. Obviously, the line about putting the bike on the BMW diagnostic computer was not checked off! I stapled the receipt of the gallon of the oil that I had used to the sheet as well as cutting off the side panel of the oil filter box, to show the brand and part number of the filter that I had used! FYI, the filter was Mahl that I had bought from BeemerBoneyard!

Oh, one final note! You have read about the amount of oil in the crankcase affecting the clutch performance in regard to noisy gear changes, and I had read somewhere (don't recall where) that BMW have changed the spec. for the amount of oil from 4 liters to 3.8 liters. Well, 3.8 liters just happen to be exactly 1 US gallon, and I will tell you that 1 US gallon of oil will bring the crankcase oil level 3/4 up the sight glass (when doing oil and filter change), which IMHO is the perfect level for me!

A question for all that have a 2014/15 R1200RT. After the 500 mile oil change from the dealer (oil and filter), on start up you can hear the lifters for say, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 sec. Is this normal? It didn't do this until my first service. And it doesn't matter how long it sits (longest maybe 2 months, shortest 5 mins). If this is not normal any suggestions to get the dealer to look into this?

They don't have lifters. But there can still be noises till oil pressure builds. My question would be about the oil filter. If not the correct unit, maybe the bypass valve is leaking off when engine is shut down. That means the oil filter has to fill before the engine is fed.

Ride....I have a 14 and mine does the same for about 1-4 seconds, but is a very familiar sound to me across the 3 RT's I have owned. It still catches my attention occasionally but have accepted it is the BMW start up routine.

Would like to hear other 14-15 RT owners have to say....sounds just like my old 1150 RT.

Correct, it does sound that way, reminding us of the cam chain tensioner issue on the Oilheads, which was fixed on the Hexheads. I'd be surprised if they took a step backwards on this issue on the Wetheads, but that sound is definitely there. My piece from 2009 MCN on this issue is here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcncct.pdf for anyone who needs some background on it.

-MKL

My 2014 doesn't do this. My previous 2005 Hexhead didn't do it, but the 2004 1150RT did that until I replaced the LHS Camchain tensioner with the updated version. That did not kill the sound completely, but did minimize it.

I would have to say my RT does not make mechanical noises on startup that go away about the time oil pressure builds. I will pay more attention, but I am sure I would notice. It does make a lot of mechanical noises compared to my old RT, but they stay the same.

Archived