IGNORED

New Member Saying Hi.

t120rmike

Hi all. Mike here. I just picked up a 1997 r1100rt that's been sitting about 3 years. She runs a little rough, and has a few odds and ends to sort out. Currently I ride a 99 Honda ST1100, so it will be interesting to me to have a chance to compare the two. I've been riding for a long time and quite a few different bikes have been through the stable. Looking forward to the experience of getting the bike back on the road! Thanks for the help in advance.

Welcome and sounds like a fun project. Probably good idea to change fluids (drive, tranny, engine oil, clutch, brakes), change filters (oil and air), and thoroughly inspect/clean/lube (front axle, all three brake calipers, etc.).

How old is the gas? Maybe siphon that out and run a fresh tank of premium fuel with a fuel system cleaner, such as Seafoam, CRC, etc. How old is the battery?

Give yourself a nice fresh start with all the basic maintenance. Maybe check all the cables too - make sure they're in good shape.

Download a shop manual.

There - I got your weekend planned for you... there should still be time for a Sunday afternoon ride. :-)

Welcome.

Fill out your location and perhaps, if you need or want some help, there is a member nearby.

Enjoy the RT.

+1 on sea foam. On something like that, ignore the directions and pour the whole can in a new fresh tank and go use it up. If it is a fuel problem that will more than likely fix it and all you have to do is ride.

Archived