IGNORED

Things you might not know about your Wethead

realshelby

On 12/29/2020 at 3:10 PM, Riderdrumr said:

Same here

All I can say is that it must be broken. All the RT Wetheads have that system. You just push (with difficulty) to the display and it rotates to the next available position in that direction - unless you have already reached the limit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, profbodryak said:

Will be sure to ask them next time I am there - thank you for the tip!

The dealer was supposed to do it when I took possession of the bike but never succeeded.

I got tired of waiting for them to find out why their big BMW Computer couldn't complete the change and ended up doing it myself with my GS-911

TPMS cluster.jpg

On 1/26/2021 at 12:49 PM, Dann said:

The dealer was supposed to do it when I took possession of the bike but never succeeded.

I got tired of waiting for them to find out why their big BMW Computer couldn't complete the change and ended up doing it myself with my GS-911

TPMS cluster.jpg

That's neat! Would you be able to change temperature only? Or does the mileage have to convert as well?

On 1/29/2021 at 11:29 AM, profbodryak said:

That's neat! Would you be able to change temperature only? Or does the mileage have to convert as well?

AFAIK Everything is separate. My "Mileage" is in Km and my TPMS is in PSI.

I never tried to change the temp. I prefer the temp in Celsius.

Canadians have a strange relationship with measurements.:4322:

Canadian measure.jpg

• Haha 1

I don't recall whether this has been mentioned already, and I'm going to look through all 4 pages again to see.  But here's my tip:

One hot (heh, heh) tip: on the rocker switch for the Menu, the opposite side has a diamond.  You can set that to be a shortcut to whatever menu you like.  I've set mine to go straight to heated grips, and then it's one click from there to control the seat.  That's the setting I'm most likely to mess with when I'm riding.  IMHO, the dedicated switch on the old bikes was better; I could hit it with my thumb without having to look at it.  But this is the next best thing, and with some practice, I do "hit the diamond, turn the wheel the desired number of clicks" without looking.

I don't recall how you set it.  Maybe hold it down while you're on whatever menu you want it to remember.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

I've set mine to go straight to heated grips, and then it's one click from there to control the seat.  That's the setting I'm most likely to mess with when I'm riding.  

👍. I have it set the same way

2 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

👍. I have it set the same way

For me, it depends on the season

Early spring and fall I set it to the Heated grips

In the Summer I set it to the User menu

• Like 1
On 1/30/2021 at 2:04 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I don't recall whether this has been mentioned already, and I'm going to look through all 4 pages again to see.  But here's my tip:

One hot (heh, heh) tip: on the rocker switch for the Menu, the opposite side has a diamond.  You can set that to be a shortcut to whatever menu you like.  I've set mine to go straight to heated grips, and then it's one click from there to control the seat.  That's the setting I'm most likely to mess with when I'm riding.  IMHO, the dedicated switch on the old bikes was better; I could hit it with my thumb without having to look at it.  But this is the next best thing, and with some practice, I do "hit the diamond, turn the wheel the desired number of clicks" without looking.

I don't recall how you set it.  Maybe hold it down while you're on whatever menu you want it to remember.

I have mine set to the list of secondary items you can show (Temperature/Tire Pressure/Volts/Oil Level/etc...) so I can quickly change what I'm looking at for those with one press and then a twist of the wonder wheel.

The great part is that you can reprogram the function of the diamond at any time by getting to the spot you want it to jump to and just holding it down a couple of seconds.

So, does that mean when I program it to go to the grips, and I turn them on, will it go to the seat menu next?   The seat heat is after my grip heat on the menu for my bike, so after I turn on the grips, I go to the seat next.  Thanks

5 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

So, does that mean when I program it to go to the grips, and I turn them on, will it go to the seat menu next?   The seat heat is after my grip heat on the menu for my bike, so after I turn on the grips, I go to the seat next.  Thanks

Yes!

It will change to the next item on the rotation, which is Seat Heating, after Grip Heating on the 2018 R1200RT-LC. I hope it is the same on the newer ShiftCam versions of the RT's.

21 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

So, does that mean when I program it to go to the grips, and I turn them on, will it go to the seat menu next?

Just to make it perfectly clear, if you have the diamond set to go grips, here's the sequence for turning both grips and seat on:

1. Press diamond to go to heated grips menu
  2. Turn wonder wheel to select grip heat level
  3. Press Menu to go heated seat menu (i.e., the next menu in sequence)
  4. Turn wonder wheel to select seat heat level
  • Thanks 1
On 10/8/2015 at 11:11 AM, realshelby said:

Coming from an '04 RT there was a LOT I didn't know about the new RT. I thought it might be a good subject for a thread!

Cruise Control Off: Did you know you can roll the throttle forward, like past idle, to disengage the cruise control? Beats flipping the clutch lever or tapping brakes.

Self Cancelling Turn Signal: Did you know that when making lane changes on Interstates the signals cancel themselves? Must have something to do with holding a steady speed, they won't do it riding around in stop and go riding. Takes a little longer than what I might do manually, but it worked every time I tried it on a 1500 mile ride last week.

These two came to mind, I know there are others that I cannot think of or don't know. What can you add?

My 2011 RT disengages the cruise when I roll it forward.

• Like 1
On 1/30/2021 at 4:28 PM, Dann said:

AFAIK Everything is separate. My "Mileage" is in Km and my TPMS is in PSI.

I never tried to change the temp. I prefer the temp in Celsius.

Canadians have a strange relationship with measurements.:4322:

Canadian measure.jpg

Lol! So I grew up with celsius but living in the US for more than half my life I do prefer miles for "mileage". So was wondering if a combination is a possibility.  

Riddle me this, Batman:  how long do the heated grips/seats stay in the on status after bike shut down?

In the morning, I turn them on for my commute and leave them on when I arrive 15 minutes later and shut the bike down until the evening commute home.   When I fire up the bike, they are already lit up on the dash, meaning they will come on when the engine is running.   That way, I do not have to go through the shortcut/ menu to activate them again.  Nice. 

Keep in mind the time frame is roughly 9-10 hours later for the afternoon/evening ride home.   I do not turn them off when I get home and park in the garage for over night.  That way, they will come on as soon as the engine starts.  No need to mess with the wonder wheel, but in the morning there is not any indication that they are still on.   What gives?   I now have to go through the wonder wheel to activate them all over again.  The garage temp is right around 50 F.  It does not matter what the outside temp is at work when I get ready to go home; they are usually on when I go to power up the bike.   Sometimes I do not really need to use the heating function for the ride home, but if in the 40's, then I can still enjoy the luxury of the heat.  Just nice to have.

I wonder what sort of time frame is determined how long the "memory" (for lack of a better word) lasts for them to be in the power-on position.  

That is what I might not know about my wethead, so far.  It does have a Shift Cam motor, but it is on a wethead chassis.  So I go that going for me, which is nice.

Cheers,

The heated seat and grips seem to be tied to the day they are used. I have noticed the same thing. I have not paid much attention to how many hours they stay in the "will come on by themselves" mode, but it is definitely something to due with the date. That is why the overnight period resets them.  

• Thanks 1