Lighter weight shorts?

eddd

I've been using the LD Comfort shorts for years and overall they are a very good option, but I'd like to find a lighter weight/cooler option.

Any suggestions?

Guest Kakugo

Go to your local sports goods shop and pick a pair of ordinary Lycra shorts.

ASICS are the best for the money. I've been using them for years and they are far more comfortable than other rider-specific items I've used.

There are some spandex ( or whatever you want to call compression fit stuff) at sporting goods stores and Walmart that I have. I actually prefer them to my LD shorts as they are thinner and cooler. You MUST look for the ones that don't have the seams under your butt cheeks! Up the ...ummm divide is fine, but no seams where they touch the seating area.

Along the same line, Gander Mountain carries Guide brand stuff. I bought a couple pair of their lightweight nylon fishing shorts. Come with a nylon belt with plastic buckles. I wear them under the mesh motorport in the heat ( over the compression underwear ) and just ride right through the rain. They dry quickly and don't look to dorky when off the bike.....as if that matters much to me.

Try UnderArmor loose fit shorts - I find them a lot more comfortable than compression shorts under riding gear. They also don't look like underwear if you want to take your pants off in public.

For long distance riding, loose shorts tend to bunch up and/or form wrinkles. Which are just as bad as seams after you sit on them for hours on end.

I've been buying boxer briefs lately. They have a little stretch to them like spandex. Many have sort of a mesh weave to them (although maybe that's a product for the hot climate I live in) and flat sewn seams like most of your spandex cycling shorts. Very light, great for hot weather and on the scoot. Most of the usual brands. You may have to look around, but make sure you don't get any that are made with cotton.

I bought the LD shorts awhile back. For me they are great for temps in the high 70's or below. Just resently bought Hanes Xterm found them to be over all better than LD's. At $20.00 for 4 or 5 depending were you get them it a bargain.

Don

For long distance riding, loose shorts tend to bunch up and/or form wrinkles. Which are just as bad as seams after you sit on them for hours on end.

I found that compression shorts get very binding and uncomfortable on long rides (whether they're pinching the skin or pulling on hair, I don't know, I just know I don't like it). The loose shorts are very thin dry-fit material, and they've been great on all-day rides in all kinds of weather.

Pete

One of the qualities that is essential is that the legs stay in place. This is one of the good features of LD Comfort and bicycle shorts.

I've been looking for bike shorts without a pad, but so far without luck.

Guest Kakugo

One of the qualities that is essential is that the legs stay in place. This is one of the good features of LD Comfort and bicycle shorts.

That's why I suggested ordinary sports Lycra shorts. I move around on the bike a lot when the going gets twisty (cannot take the sports bike rider out of me) and those ASICS shorts do not budge half an inch.

I also have a pair of seamless tight fitting long johns but they are not as comfortable as generic sports shorts despite having been made specifically for riding.

eddd,

Triathlon shorts have a very minimal pad, so that you can swim and run in them. I used Titan Wear classic racing shorts for years and the pad is basically a piece of fleece. You won't even notice it. And they come with or without "gripper" legs. They will dry easily overnight.

No laughs please.

As a long time fitness swimmer I have several pairs of 3/4 length spandex/lycra/whatever swim trunks by Speedo that only have a seam up the valley of death. For a couple of years now during the dog days of summer they have made life more enjoyable under my motoport gear.

Cheers,

No laughs please.

As a long time fitness swimmer I have several pairs of 3/4 length spandex/lycra/whatever swim trunks by Speedo that only have a seam up the valley of death. For a couple of years now during the dog days of summer they have made life more enjoyable under my motoport gear.

Cheers,

Not laughing (except for the "valley of death" part). I actually was going to mention "swim jammers" as we call them here. No pad at all in those things, just a liner.

Archived