IGNORED

Lift recommendation

oilhead1100s1150rt

oilhead1100s1150rt

Good Day, looking to purchase a new lift. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, portable is required. Thanks, Dave. Will continue doing a search, but thought I would ask as well.

Afternoon oilhead1100s1150rt

How portable? As a rule the more portable the less stable so define in a little more detail what you need.

I have the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift.

I can move it around the garage with the bike on it (or keep it firmly in place via screw-down feet. I can (with some difficulty) get it into and out my truck by myself - but it's MUCH easier with two people.

Like dirtrider asked: "How Portable?"

It would be really easy to roll it into my toy-hauler... does that count as portable?

John Ranalletta

I've had a handy lift with 8" extensions for about 8 years in a relatively small shop. If I were to do it over, I'd consider cutting a hole in the floor and recessing the lift so the top is floor level. That makes the area usable for car parking, etc. The lost 5" or so shouldn't matter that much when working on the bike.

I got mine used for about $200 (Craigslist). The previous owner relocated and strengthened the front wheel clamp. The stock Harbor Freight clamp will not hold a bike up. You can see it in this picture.

IMG_3576.jpg

As for floor space, since it can roll, I put it along a wall. I can park another motorcycle or a few bicycles on it - therefore, it doesn't take much extra space. It makes a handy variable-height table for other projects too. Geez... I sound like a commercial.

Another worthy option is to make your own. My local mechanic uses one he made himself (and I would too, if I had a garage). Basically it's a diamond plate top, screwed to a 2x4 frame. There's similar 2x4 frame for the bottom panel. The legs are iron water pipe, set up in a moveable parallelogram. Each iron pipe has a 90 elbow on each end, with a stub of pipe that goes through a hole in the 2x4 on the top and bottom frames. He uses a regular garage floor jack to raise and lower it. Also, it has what amounts to a home-made vise (think woodworker's vise) for the front wheel brace. He screws down the vise with a cordless drill. Looked like a great project. I gotta get some pictures of it.

This mod might help also, decided on this after I bought the k. Plus, I already had the materials.

Just slide out, raise against the wall and secure with some fixture chain.

7233_zpsvcbf7ayd.jpeg

Archived