IGNORED

Yellowstone

Ron_B

I'm not old enough... but I do carry my National Parks pass.

This year, rode a motorcycle through the following National Parks:

Yosemite

Joshua Tree

Grand Canyon

Rocky Mountain

Devil's Postpile (gotta get there before 7am to take a private vehicle in)

Several cultural/historical sites

US National Parks Service is the only Federal Agency that returns net money from operations to the US Treasury. Respect the parks - go visit.

Larry, thanks for the info.

As far as the lifetime senior pass, I should have noted that the pass is not just for Yellowstone, but is also good for over 2,000 other federal recreation sites, including the other National Parks.

US National Parks Service is the only Federal Agency that returns net money from operations to the US Treasury.

Can you provide a source for that information? They claim to be 2 (or 11 depending on who is counting) billion behind in maintenance costs and that's the reason for the ridiculous price increases.

From the NPCA

'National parks also suffer from an annual operations shortfall of more than a half-billion dollars. Recent cuts have forced national park superintendents to delay the opening of parks or park roads; close visitor centers, picnic areas, and campgrounds or shorten their hours; decrease the number of rangers that protect and maintain parks; and limit the number of educational programs'

http://www.npca.org/protecting-our-parks/park-funding/park-funding.html

Killer I believe the statement is correct IF the national park service WOULD ever have a net positive year, THEN it would return money to the US treasury. However I believe the park service has not had a "surplus" in about 23 years.

US National Parks Service is the only Federal Agency that returns net money from operations to the US Treasury.

Can you provide a source for that information? They claim to be 2 (or 11 depending on who is counting) billion behind in maintenance costs and that's the reason for the ridiculous price increases.

From the NPCA

'National parks also suffer from an annual operations shortfall of more than a half-billion dollars. Recent cuts have forced national park superintendents to delay the opening of parks or park roads; close visitor centers, picnic areas, and campgrounds or shorten their hours; decrease the number of rangers that protect and maintain parks; and limit the number of educational programs'

http://www.npca.org/protecting-our-parks/park-funding/park-funding.html

I did some consulting work for US NPS with some senior leaders. This was a few years ago and maybe my information is outdated. Your source is more current - I'm sorry to see it. At the time, they were getting a lot of money from licensing and fees from research on forms of life in extreme environments, such as found in Yellowstone. At that time, they were also not fully funded by operations - but the other forms of revenue I mentioned were not considered part of operations. At that time, they said those revenues covered the operating deficit - and allowed them to return money to treasury.

Anyway - I'll happily go back to simply saying something more like: "Support your National Parks, they really are treasures."

I know we are not going to have a discussion about the efficiency and transparency of the National Government. Instead, I advocate turning a blind eye to the obvious. I do advise riding very carefully in Yellowstone, the tourists do all kinds of crazy stuff when the get excited by wildlife.

I've been through the park three times on my bike. I've always gone early in the morning when all the RV'ers etc. are still asleep. The ride from Cody to the northeast entrance, along the Chief Joseph Hwy, is terrific early in the morning. Of course, from Red Lodge, you'd have to get through the Beartooth first.

I finally got off my tail and bought the $10.00 lifetime pass. There was one wrinkle you might want to keep in mind. The government wouldn't take cash only checks! So take your checkbook or money order. Thanks for the heads up on the pass Ron.

• 2 months later...

In order to beat the RV and slowpoke crowd I always go in the North entrance and hit the Beartooth coming out. $10.00 'age advantaged' pass is the absolute deal of a lifetime, half price on camping in not only National Parks but also many other places (TVA has some nice campgrounds scattered about).

My list has Yellowstone coming in 3rd, only behind Yosemite and Glacier; but heck they are all great.

Archived