IGNORED

What are your favorite farkles by category?

Gregg

New '14 parked in garage...I'm making the farkle list and wondering what others find most useful in these "farkle categories" and any other categories. Whatcha got?

Rider Comfort:

- Windscreen

- Seat / backrest

- Handlebar backs

- Shift or brake extenders

- Highway pegs

- Lower footpeg kit

- Tank bag or handlebar bag

- Grip buddies

- Wireless Comm. system

Visibility/Safety Enhancers:

- Pulsing headlamp

- LEDs up front or on back brake

- Reflective strips

- Head guards

- Extended mud flaps

Operational Enhancers:

- Exhaust

- Airfilter

- ?

What are some of your most prized farkles?

And, how on earth do you prioritize it all? Lol

comfortable seat- I used Russell as have had before and works for me. Plenty to choose from.

Sidestand englarger

reflective kit mounts to bags invisible in day, awesome at night

extended front fender to keep dirt and grime off of engine.

Hyperlights on the rear.

Still debating on which engine guards. That's next.

I don't particularly like any of the additional lighting options as they hang off the forks and move with the forks, or they mount to the engine guards but wires hang out and are visibly ugly to me.

On my prior RT there was a shelf made by a company no longer in business that allowed me to mount them in the air scoop/radiator hole. They were invisible and put out great light I could aim at the curbs. People said they could really see me and distinguish me from others.. I'm waiting on some one to advertise that type of mount and then will likely add Clearwater Darla's as they integrate with the bike.

That's pretty much all I plan to do.

So engine bars and lights on the to do list. all else done.

Rider Comfort:

- Windscreen - Done. Werks 24" - upcoming article in ON.

- Seat / backrest - Corbin in process of testing.

- Handlebar backs - Done. Illium.

- Shift or brake extenders - Done. Illium and Wunderlich, respectively.

- Highway pegs - Planning on it. Illium.

- Lower footpeg kit - Done. Suburban Machinery.

- Tank bag or handlebar bag - BMW. Total crap. Need something else.

- Grip buddies - Done. Touratech.

- Wireless Comm. system - Interphone FM5 in process of testing.

Visibility/Safety Enhancers:

- Pulsing headlamp - Not yet. Would consider if it's plug and play.

- LEDs up front or on back brake - Full Clearwater Suite in process.

- Reflective strips - Done.

- Head guards - Wunderlich - done. (I have a like new set of BMW Stainless covers for sale as of today, by the way.)

- Extended mud flaps - Done. Machine Art Moto.

Operational Enhancers:

- Exhaust - I'd consider one if it's legal sound but a tonal improvement. And if it didn't cost 4 figures!

- Airfilter - No. Never did that on a BMW.

Chuck - seats...now that's a topic! Corbin, Sargent, Russell-Day Long, and more. Hard to know which one fits the butt, supports the lower back and doesn't pinch the inseam for the long rides.

Moshe - Wow! you're on it! I'm reading good things about the Werks 24. I have the Ztechnik Vstream. I've previously had CeeBailey screens which I thought were quite good. How does the Werks 24 compare?

I want to take a look at the machine art moto extended mud flaps. Definitely on my list.

Moshe - Wow! you're on it! I'm reading good things about the Werks 24. I have the Ztechnik Vstream. I've previously had CeeBailey screens which I thought were quite good. How does the Werks 24 compare?

I want to take a look at the machine art moto extended mud flaps. Definitely on my list.

Werks: See http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=938223#Post938223 which has turned into a Werks thread. I have a review coming out in BMW Owner's News soon.

Fender Extender: There is no serious alternative to Machine Art Moto Avant LC - not in style, not in functionality, not in ease of installation, and not in any other important factor. There's nothing to research there - just get the MaMo model. My review of it with pics is in BMW Owner's News October 2015 (out now).

-MKL

Necessary:

Lights! HID low beam, fog/driving mounted low and wide, preferably on engine guards. Added LEDs on the back are good, too.

Reflective strips are good, cheap & easy.

Optional based on rider preference/needs:

Replace the plank/seat

Anything thing else on all those preceding lists

Necessary:

Lights! HID low beam, fog/driving mounted low and wide, preferably on engine guards. Added LEDs on the back are good, too.

Reflective strips are good, cheap & easy.

Optional based on rider preference/needs:

Replace the plank/seat

Anything thing else on all those preceding lists

Are you using the clearwater HID that integrate functionality into the wonder wheel? I'm wondering how that's working out for people.

Clearwater is LED, not HID. I am currently testing various Clearwater lights, CANopener, and Billie license frame. In the past I have tested Glenda, Darla, Krista, and Erica. Their products are first rate, in every respect. Expensive, but in my view worth it.

-MKL

Sargent seats, Clearwater Darla, fender extender, Illium kickstand enlarger, 3M reflective panels on luggage backs, grip buddies, Werks 26" windshield (on the way), SWMoto City tank bag, Clearwater Billie rear LED's (on the way).

Clearwater is LED, not HID. I am currently testing various Clearwater lights, CANopener, and Billie license frame. In the past I have tested Glenda, Darla, Krista, and Erica. Their products are first rate, in every respect. Expensive, but in my view worth it.

-MKL

Moshe, does the Billie obscure any of the state name area of the plate? That is illegal in Arizona, and I mentioned it to Clearwater, but they didn't seem to have any worries.

BMW SHORTER SEAT....WERKS WINDSHIELD....F FENDER EXTENDER....BMW TOP CASE....BMW CHARGER....GERBINGS HEAT CONNECTIONS....3M REFLECTIVE PANELS (ON REAR)....more will be added later!

Agree with moshe on fender. Quote from their website that made the decision for me versus other brands.

"A key feature of the whole Avant line is ease of installation with no hole drilling required"

I forgot one thing. Headlight protector from CEE Bailey - An absolute must. Something like $50 dollars versus several hundred for the headlight if it was broken.

Agree with moshe on fender. Quote from their website that made the decision for me versus other brands.

"A key feature of the whole Avant line is ease of installation with no hole drilling required"

I forgot one thing. Headlight protector from CEE Bailey - An absolute must. Something like $50 dollars versus several hundred for the headlight if it was broken.

Ah! The headlight protector! I remember purchasing the Cee Bailey for an older RT. Great product. I'm going to add it to the list. Thanks!

-MKL

Urgh! I knew that. How do you like the CANopener? I'm wondering about the functionality and how easily you can operate on the road. I've installed Darlas on a 2012 and used Clearwater dimmer which worked great. But...if it's possible to use the wonder wheel...that sound pretty good too.

What's your experience so far?

Tremendous. Love it. Still feeling my way around as there are quite a bit of commands and customization available, but some of it is just initial setup to your preferences. I consider it a "must have" product if you already run Clearwater lights (as I do.)

Second thumbs up on the Cee Bailey headlight protector. I had mine waiting before I even took delivery of the bike. On my last RT (a 2009) a stone from a dump truck in front of me shattered my Cee Bailey's protector, but never got through to the headlight, saving me hundreds of dollars in parts and labor. Another absolute must-have accessory.

rt-lcceebailey.JPG

-MKL

I have a 2015 R1200GS now, but for any bike I recommend Clearwater lights. I put Darlas and Ericas on my GS. The Canopener integrates them into the bike perfectly. Mine are set up to run the Darlas at 50% with low beams, then they go to 100% and the Ericas come on with high beams. They are truly exceptional products.

I also bought a new seat for the GS and for the RTs I owned. BMW makes the most uncomfortable seats on the planet.

I'm not so convinced on the headlight protectors. I bought 3 of them, but I don't think I've ever met or heard of anyone who had their RT headlight broken by a rock or other road debris. If it happens, that what comprehensive insurance is for.

Tremendous. Love it. Still feeling my way around as there are quite a bit of commands and customization available, but some of it is just initial setup to your preferences. I consider it a "must have" product if you already run Clearwater lights (as I do.)

Second thumbs up on the Cee Bailey headlight protector. I had mine waiting before I even took delivery of the bike. On my last RT (a 2009) a stone from a dump truck in front of me shattered my Cee Bailey's protector, but never got through to the headlight, saving me hundreds of dollars in parts and labor. Another absolute must-have accessory.

rt-lcceebailey.JPG

-MKL

I had a CB protector. Love them too. It's on my list. Great photo!

Glad to hear the CANopener integrates well and is worth it.

Where did you mount the clearwater lights? Fork? Off the head or up higher?

My (in process) setup is Sevinas under the mirrors on Wunderlich high guards, Ericas on the Wunderlich low guards, Darlas on the forks, a single Krista (old style) facing back as a rear fog, and a Billie. Erica, Darla, and Billie on the CANopener. I got the whole freakin' suite!

-MKL

My (in process) setup is Sevinas under the mirrors on Wunderlich high guards, Ericas on the Wunderlich low guards, Darlas on the forks, a single Krista (old style) facing back as a rear fog, and a Billie. Erica, Darla, and Billie on the CANopener. I got the whole freakin' suite!

-MKL

Most of us add lights so we can SEE the deer. I guess you plan to vaporize them?

Archived