ST or RT?

temesvar

This is my first post on this site.

Am not yet an owner of a beemer, but sure hope soon will be.

And that is where i need some help. Am not a spring chicken, (well, rooster, mind you!)

have had my share of bikes, but have always admired the boxer! So now has come the time

to get one. My question here is: what is the difference between ST and RT models? I prefer

the ST, and is the one am looking for. Yet there are much more RT's

out there. What are the differences?

I like riding, and, IMHO, a motorcycle is what it is ! Not a flying lazy boy! No offense intended

to the ones that prefer them!

My previous bikes include FJ 1200 and currently Triumph Sprint ST

Thank You for any input!

Thanks for the welcoming! :)

The GS is not my type, sorry!

Although, was thinking about it many times...

But no! Am to old to change my preferences!

A very personal choice. Sit up and beg or slight lean forward riding position? That's the major difference. The RT still has the Telelever front suspension whereas the ST has conventional forks. If you have a good dealer with demo bikes, they'll let you ride both and decide for yourself. As the ST is new there's not going to be much, yet, in the way of farkles while about anything you're looking for is already available for the RT. Engines are the same. Not sure if you can put the 49 liter top case on the ST. If luggage capacity is a concern that may be of interest to you. Also, I may be wrong about this as I haven't looked up the specs, but, I think the ST's saddlebags are smaller. Again, if luggage capacity matters to you. Good luck with whichever bike you choose.

Is there a new ST Boxer?

I think he's looking at the bike Pat pictured, the R 1200 ST, successor to the R 1150 RS.

The ST is lighter, has fewer amenities (windscreen adjustment, fairing protection, etc) but can carry the same as the RT with bags.

The seating position, as mentioned.

I think the ST is beautiful. Had an R 1100 RSL and was hoping (when the ST came out) to find it the right bike for me.

Not quite.

YMMV

Clarify which ST (1200 or 800), which generation RT (100/1100/1150/1200/1200WC), give some feedback on your size, and type or riding, passenger(?).

Best wishes.

This is my first post on this site.

Am not yet an owner of a beemer, but sure hope soon will be.

And that is where i need some help. Am not a spring chicken, (well, rooster, mind you!)

have had my share of bikes, but have always admired the boxer! So now has come the time

to get one. My question here is: what is the difference between ST and RT models? I prefer

the ST, and is the one am looking for. Yet there are much more RT's

out there. What are the differences?

I like riding, and, IMHO, a motorcycle is what it is ! Not a flying lazy boy! No offense intended

to the ones that prefer them!

My previous bikes include FJ 1200 and currently Triumph Sprint ST

Thank You for any input!

Assuming that by ST you mean the Honda ST! I had gone through that exercise a few years back and decided on the RT! For me, at the time, the issues that had gone in the RT's favor were weight and seat height (I have a 30" inseam). One other thing also shown up, and I hadn't recognized as being important then, was heat. In reading the ST forums, I noted complaints about heat management, and the RT really shines in that area.

I ended up buying a used '07 RT in March 2012, and have been very glad of making that choice ever since. My present '15 RT is very much better still!!! In any case, whether you will like the ST or the RT can be a very personal choice, and you can settle that one very easily by getting to a BMW dealer and take an RT out for a test ride. I promise you that you won't be sorry, and your pocketbook might be lighter afterward!! :)

A very personal choice. Sit up and beg or slight lean forward riding position? That's the major difference. The RT still has the Telelever front suspension whereas the ST has conventional forks. If you have a good dealer with demo bikes, they'll let you ride both and decide for yourself. As the ST is new there's not going to be much, yet, in the way of farkles while about anything you're looking for is already available for the RT. Engines are the same. Not sure if you can put the 49 liter top case on the ST. If luggage capacity is a concern that may be of interest to you. Also, I may be wrong about this as I haven't looked up the specs, but, I think the ST's saddlebags are smaller. Again, if luggage capacity matters to you. Good luck with whichever bike you choose.

Thanks! Yes the riding position maters to me. I prefer the slight lean forward. Although, i guess the RT"s handle bar can be modified.And the big top case i like. Actually, have a Maxia 55 on my Sprint. No dealer near by, only about 200Km away. And they close early on weekends.Thanks for the good luck wish.

Strudel

r1200st-p1010390.jpg

Or

Crumpet

triumph-sprint-st-2006-10.jpg

Why does it always have to go back to food? :dopeslap::grin:

Pat

Already have the "Crumpet" even same color! But yes, the Strudel is just what am looking for! I like the Triumph, I just may keep it! But always wanted a boxer, and time has come to get one!

Strudel

r1200st-p1010390.jpg

Or

Crumpet

triumph-sprint-st-2006-10.jpg

Why does it always have to go back to food? :dopeslap::grin:

Pat

Already have the Crumpet! The Strudel is that am looking for!

2015-12393-picture40545-img-0299.jpg

Is there a new ST Boxer?

I think he's looking at the bike Pat pictured, the R 1200 ST, successor to the R 1150 RS.

The ST is lighter, has fewer amenities (windscreen adjustment, fairing protection, etc) but can carry the same as the RT with bags.

The seating position, as mentioned.

I think the ST is beautiful. Had an R 1100 RSL and was hoping (when the ST came out) to find it the right bike for me.

Not quite.

YMMV

Clarify which ST (1200 or 800), which generation RT (100/1100/1150/1200/1200WC), give some feedback on your size, and type or riding, passenger(?).

Best wishes.

1200 ST. Am 5'9" and prefer to ride alone.(no passenger) Slightly lean forward is the riding position i prefer. Thanks for the help!

I don't think i would like the RT riding position (only my preference, nothing wrong with it!!)

Very few ST's improved to US over 3 years(05-07),they did not sell well and some folks did not like the front end/headlight styling(although it was reputed to be one of the best stock BMW headlights)

Tons of RT's sold in that period.

That's why you are having trouble finding one.

Ontario,CA or Canada?

Don't know how many were brought to Canada

ST was a SPORT touring bike,RT is a tourer that can be ridden in a sporty manner.

Might consider a slight earlier 1100 or 1150 RS,they were imported in larger numbers,still on the more sporty side of sport touring.

JR356

Thanks,JR356.

I prefer the ST riding position over the RT's "sit and beg position"

Am sure the handles can be modified, to change that. Anyways, i found a 1200 ST 2005 For what i see in pictures is what i would rather have.

has 32000 miles. It is at almost 300 miles from here, so will wait until next Saturday to go take a look, if weather permits.

I am from Ontario, Canada. But the bike must be built for US, since the odometer shows miles. I wonder if that can be changed to km, since

i am rather familiar with that. The Triumph i have was also from US and was in miles, but easy to change to km.

If you can find one,the 2007 is sort of the holy grail of ST's(at least in USA)

Has the updated non assist brakes,think a few had ESA suspension and was available in black.

Personally I like the red/black shown in prior posts.

However if you really want an ST,that 05 sounds good for the mileage,if condition is good too.

It's getting towards end of riding season in the north,maybe you can get a good deal!

Biggest issue on the 05 is the assist ABS brakes common to the 05-06 BMW's.They are fine if you keep system flushed every year or two,but can get spendy if components start to fail.

ModuleMaster in US can rebuild the big dollar ABS pumps.

JR356

If I get that silver ST, it WILL become red/black!

Is a mater of taste, and i just like that.

I hope i will get a good deal, and have all 6 months

of winter to pots around with it. For the here/there

days of sunny and no snow, have the trumpet to discharge

the urge to ride!

Archived