1150RT stumble when warm after stopping

HH0

Can I get a suggestion as to where to start looking for my minor problem from the knowledge bank here please.

Bike starts fine, runs fine except when it is up to temp after riding and then I stop for 5 - 10 minutes. Bike still starts fine but upon acceleration it stumbles/coughs once or twice which I then give throttle and it accelerates with an additional minor hiccup or two and then clears out and runs fine. Doesn't do it if I stop and then restart within a minute or two and it doesn't do it after it has been sitting for over 30 minutes or so. Bike has tiny bit of surging but not a problem (based on my 1100 which has none). Spark plugs, value adjust and TB balance were completed 1000 miles.

Suggestions?

Afternoon HHO

Start by verifying that the stock CCP is installed is in the fuse box.

If CCP OK then maybe look into the o2 sensor not responding correctly.

Or a slug of air in the fuel system from hot soak.

As a rule those hot-start ride-away stumbles are caused by slightly lean fueling (what is causing that might be difficult to find)

Afternoon HHO

Start by verifying that the stock CCP is installed is in the fuse box.

If CCP OK then maybe look into the o2 sensor not responding correctly.

Or a slug of air in the fuel system from hot soak.

As a rule those hot-start ride-away stumbles are caused by slightly lean fueling (what is causing that might be difficult to find)

My '04 had that symptom when the O2 sensor was getting tired at about 90k mi.

thanks for the suggestions. First, can someone tell me what the stock CCP looks like as I am not familiar with the differences. The bike has 25K miles so is there a way to test the O2 sensor or would you suggest just replacing it?

Afternoon HHO

You can sort of test your o2 sensor using a voltmeter but being a 2002 bike might just as well replace it (you can use a universal o2 sensor as those are much cheaper than the BMW OEM)

Your 2002 1150RT should have a pink CCP (see picture for location)

ccp_zpsrfrmegv1.jpg

thanks DR, I will go look to see what I have. Do I just take my O2 sensor to an auto parts store and have them match it or is there a part number of some sort to ask for based on your experience?

You can try unplugging your O2 sensor and see what that does. Pull the cat code plug at the same time. The connector is on the right side under the tank near the front. It should run fine with the sensor disconnected. If it fixes the problem you know it's an O2 sensor sending bad signals.

Two different things. The CCP is under the seat, as DR said. Pulling the CCP will change the map, but will leave the O2 sensor in the loop. Do that first, and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it (I don't think it will but it's quick so shy not give it a whirl), lift the tanks and disconnect the O2 sensor. You need to follow the wire for the O2 sensor until you find the connection. It's under the tank on the right side. Pull it apart and go for a ride.

If your problem is fixed you know it's the O2 sensor. Then you can either just leave it disconnected (my preferred technique) or buy a new one (the preferred technique of people a lot smarter than me).

If the problem is still there it's probably not the O2 sensor.

Reddogracing

Just a thought. But mine was acting weird like that. Replays stick could with used and it still did it. Broke down and got new coils. Bike runs much better. I need to get valves and throttles bodies done next. But it is a new bike from before

Just a thought. But mine was acting weird like that. Replays stick could with used and it still did it. Broke down and got new coils. Bike runs much better. I need to get valves and throttles bodies done next. But it is a new bike from before

Morning Reddogracing

Different bikes-- Your 2004 has stick coils, HHO's bike is a 2002 so it DOESN'T have stick coils.

Archived