IGNORED

Dzus Fasteners

Williekiote

I bought a 2002 RT1150 a few months ago and did some work on it myself. I changed the alternator belt, new EBC HH brakes F&R, bled the brakes and the ABS system, changed the oil. After doing that the battery (that was supposed to be new) died. Once again, I had to take the tupperware off to remove and replace the battery.

This removal is time consuming and a real pain in the butt.

My question to BMW is why didn't they use Dzus fasteners to make removal easier? They use them on their race bikes and ?????

Does anyone know if Dzus fasteners can be retro-fitted to the 1150RT instead of having to remove and replace 1,259,347 screws?

Does anyone know if Dzus fasteners can be retro-fitted to the 1150RT instead of having to remove and replace 1,259,347 screws?

Afternoon Williekiote

Sure, given enough time & money about anything is possible but adding Dzus fasteners on the 1150RT would be very time consuming & I'm sure problematic.

Put the money into a good powered screwdriver & the Tupperware can be off the bike in less than 5 minutes.

After about the 3rd or 4th Tupperware removal it is actually quite quick & easy.

thanks, used my cordless drill with an allen screw socket, but it still took a while. there are a few that are difficult to reach such as the ones under the headlights. Getting the screws lined up so they all screw in properly is difficult. If one is off a little, then I have to loosen or remove a few to get them lined up again.

I guess by your answer that it hasn't been tried. Thanks for replying though.

I guess by your answer that it hasn't been tried. Thanks for replying though.

Evening Williekiote

It hasn't been tried that I know of but it has been suggested a few times (usually by newer BMW owners like yourself)

It would be quite a task to fit Dzus fasteners is some locations & you would still have to access them in the difficult to reach areas.

I think you will find it to be a non-issue after your remove your plastics a few times.

Getting the screws lined up so they all screw in properly is difficult. If one is off a little, then I have to loosen or remove a few to get them lined up again.

Just like any part that uses multiple fasteners, start all the screws before you tighten any of them.

I'd be reluctant to use them because they permit movement of the panel (and erosion of the plastic) unless you can come up with a reinforcing/sacrificial recess plate to absorb the rubbing or stop the movement altogether. Otherwise your plastics will wear.

Admittedly I've only seen aircraft as race bikes fitted with these fasteners. The aircraft have always had recessed fitings, but that doesn't even guarantee no movement. Just look for the grey stains around the fasteners next time you fly :)

I actually think that BMW could have not used the three screws across the top of the tank. It looks to me as if everything would be fine just by hooking it.

I hope you only removed the left side Tupperware to replace the battery. I think a lot of new owners believe both sides need to be removed and then lift the tank. Not so. The battery will slide out the left side after easily removing the air snorkel.

Archived