IGNORED

24,000mile tune-up on 2001 BMW R1100RL

Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

Yesterday I began my first major tune-up on this bike. I purchased it on 2June15 with 19,600 miles on it. I can see that it will take me a couple of days to complete everything in the Clymer manual. Before the tune-up at 24,175 miles the bike began to run a little rough and backfiring here and there after low RPM riding. It has had some engine surging since I bought it and accounted it to a querk of the bike. So far I have changed the engine oil and filter, air filter and spark plugs. Hopefully today I will complete the tune-up. Already though the bike runs much better with more power, smoother, no backfiring and less engine surging. I also purchased a Harmonizer last week and look forward to checking my throttle bodies. I do not expect the valves or throttle body sync to be out but if they are then it should run really great when I am done. I will let you know when it is done. I purchased the kit from www.beemerboneyard.com for about 120 dollars with shipping. I used the conventional oil 20w50 moly lube that came with the kit. I just thought of something. Since I purchased this bike the only time I have ever been able to see any oil in the site glass is when it is on the side stand. I thought that when I did the oil and filter change using 3.75 quarts of engine oil I would see it in the site glass. I did see it in there before starting the engine but as soon as I started it the oil was gone again in the sited glass while on the centerstand. I waited about 10 minutes after turning the engine off but still did not see any oil in the glass. Not really sure if I should add more oil or just accept that the only time I can see it is while on the side stand. any thoughts?

I thought that when I did the oil and filter change using 3.75 quarts of engine oil I would see it in the site glass. I did see it in there before starting the engine but as soon as I started it the oil was gone again in the sited glass while on the centerstand. I waited about 10 minutes after turning the engine off but still did not see any oil in the glass. Not really sure if I should add more oil or just accept that the only time I can see it is while on the side stand. any thoughts?

Morning Matthew

Before you can get a good reading in your sight glass you need to get the engine WELL UP TO operating temperature by riding the bike for while (this opens the oil thermostat). Then allow to sit on the center stand for a few minutes before looking at the oil level.

Some even go so far as to place the bike on the side stand after riding for a few minutes THEN putting on center stand & looking at the sight glass.

Personally I just dump in 4 quarts then don't worry about looking at the sight glass for a about 1000 miles of riding.

While you are doing your service, and seeing as you have lumpy output from the engine, I'd be inclined to check the Big Brass Screws on the sides of the throttle bodies. These only effect idle though. If you are getting lumpy idle, clean them as follows.

Carefully note how much you need to screw each of the BBS's in until they stop. After recording this figure, take each one out (don't mix them up).

Give each one a really good clean with carb cleaner.

Also now they are out, clean the small holes that these BBS's screw into. Refit each screw into the same TB that you removed them from and reset them to the same number of turns out as they were originally.

Now when you do your TB balance, you can set up your idle knowing it is the best it can be.

Archived