Is it possible to 'tighten' the luggage mounting unit/handle?

Birdman40205

Hello . . .

My '94 r1100rs lost one of its original bags along the way. An individual, or the dealer, put on another BMW bag that is of the same type. It's inconvenient having to carry two keys, but really no big deal. What bothers me is the right case is very loose. I am positive I have it fastened correctly as I have tried/retried many times making very sure it is clipped/attached correctly in all three places. The left side is very snug using the same method. Is there any way to adjust the mounting latch to remove some of the free play. It's bad enough that I really am scared to carry anything of worth in it. Or, is that just the way it is and I should bungee?

Im trying to get the mighty beast ready for a trip to the North East and this is most worrisome . . .

Thank you very much for any suggestions or insights!

LM in KY

I've been scratching my head on this one. I can't say that I have an answer, other than I think it's supposed to be relatively easy to re-key the tumbler so you don't have to use two different keys. I'm not aware of any part that's adjustable. But then I've never taken one apart.

What I do have, however is a question: The fact that the replacement bag is loose makes me wonder if this wasn't the reason the first bag (presumably) fell off? If I were you, I'd pull both bags off, and inspect the mounting points, both on the bike, and on the bags very closely. Get your tape measure out. Go nuts. See if you can decide where the extra play is. I'm thinking maybe a mount the bike is out of alignment or maybe a little broken in a way that's not obvious. That's all I got, man.

I've been scratching my head on this one.

What I do have, however is a question: The fact that the replacement bag is loose makes me wonder if this wasn't the reason the first bag (presumably) fell off? If I were you, I'd pull both bags off, and inspect the mounting points, both on the bike, and on the bags very closely. Get your tape measure out. Go nuts. See if you can decide where the extra play is. I'm thinking maybe a mount the bike is out of alignment or maybe a little broken in a way that's not obvious. That's all I got, man.

elkroeger, thank you very much!

I have been looking at it albeit not in depth, and it appears the "L" shaped latch might be bent a little(? possible??), but, your point about the new one being loose and the previous one falling off, is something that eluded me! Great point! I am going to pull it off, measure, measure twice, again and figure out whats going on.

Thank you very much, lots of help.

I have several YouTube videos in the "do it yourself" section, or whatever it's called on pulling the lock cylinders from your case for swapping.

There are some there on changing tumblers (wafers) too.

I need to do a vid on that as the ones I've seen are adequate but take way too long to do . It's a much less complicated process than shown.

also look to make sure the bag is engaging the little side tab that's at the very back end of the footpeg side mounts. if that little tab is not engaged, the bag will feel loose.

also consider "pinning" the bag to the lower mount.

Lost the left bag on my 2004 RT a few years ago. It was loose but I never thought it was an issue until it "took flight" one day on the freeway.

I thought I read here the instructions for pinning the bag to the lower mount. It basically involves drilling a 1/4" hole and inserting a locking pin to prevent it's escape.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/73714/file-1145422259-pdf/docs/catalog_page_rw.pdf?t=1440790819377

RPG

I think that the side cases as well as the top case, need to move a little and not stay intimately in contact with the holders. I have seen new top cases from Givi that moved on the holders. I guess that the reason for that is so it does not crack because of vibrations while riding.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

find where it is loose. If it is where it mounts to bike being sloppy - or a size difference between it and new bag, then a simple fix is to add black electrical tape just to where the bag mounts to luggage frame on bike. That should eliminate slop and really will be hard to see even with bags off. Just a thought.

Archived