engine swap on an 1150RT.

Andre1150

any advice? can you do a swap without disassembling the back end, and just drop the engine down from under the alternator, if the upper frame is supported by a hoist?

any walkthrus with photos?

Morning FireKit

I guess I don't fully understand your question (exactly WHAT do you want to do in a little more detail?)

You can drop the engine/trans/final drive as one unit but it is heavy & awkward to work with then. (you actually don't drop the engine --you pull the bike off of the engine)

You can also remove the transmission/swing arm/final drive as complete unit then work at removing the engine (this is the way I usually do it)

I was hoping there was a way to swap the engine out of a bike without having to do too much besides opening up the clutch and shifting the swing arm and trans back, and then removing the engine forward while supporting the upper frame, alternator, etc from above. Clymers is always a great help, but maybe there's a slightly faster easier way..

basically, it's come down to one of my bikes just getting too expensive to repair and using the other for parts. so I have to swap things in.

I was hoping there was a way that someone might have done this without too much issue.

I was hoping there was a way to swap the engine out of a bike without having to do too much besides opening up the clutch and shifting the swing arm and trans back, and then removing the engine forward while supporting the upper frame, alternator, etc from above.

Morning FireKit

Unlike a car or some other motorcycles the BMW 1100/1150 bikes uses the engine as a stressed member & part of the frame (front end bolts to the engine itself)

You really don't drop the engine out-- you sort of unbolt things from the engine & lift them off or away from the engine.

yeah DR, that's what I was referring to.. it appears that one can just unbolt the front shock frame and forks, and rear subframe, just not sure if there's an order to it or someone that's done it that way..

Basically there is one step: Remove all non-engine pieces from engine. I did it a few months ago on an R1100RS. I removed the back half of the bike, then the front half. Installation was the reverse. On the RS the wiring harness stayed attached to the front end.

FireKit - Having just stripped an RT for parts (some of which you now have...), I would agree that there is not an easy way to to remove the engine. That funny-sounding description about removing the bike from the engine is how it's actually done.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't feel bad about your decision, Firekit. It takes time, energy, interest, workspace. If you don't have a happy balance of these things then don't attempt a project that will only frustrate you. Like the song says, you have to know when to hold em, know when to fold em...

+1 Lee and that is exactly why my 1150rt is in the the donor ward and was recently replaced with this!

56k mi, matching bags, soon to be matching trunk, moving on folks except for near future thread in classified.

20151012_125133_zpsdsva0xab.jpg

+1 Lee and that is exactly why my 1150rt is in the the donor ward and was recently replaced with this!

56k mi, matching bags, soon to be matching trunk, moving on folks except for near future thread in classified.

20151012_125133_zpsdsva0xab.jpg

Beautiful bike and an excellent choice! I sure loved my '04 KRS and even miss its buzziness. :cry:

Wow man, Salida was on my camping route last July when I had mech prob and turned around in weatherford. Fast forward story too many gremlins, more tinkering less riding not my desire thus the new bike.

This thing is a hoot!

Archived