Oil capacity - without filter change

kalali

How much oil does the engine take for a drain&fill without a filter replacement? Long story short, I realized my oil filter socket was not deep enough to remove the filter after I had drained the oil. I put in 3.75 quarts but I'm a little paranoid thinking I put in too much. The sight glass is completely covered with the bike upright but you can see the top of the oil line if I tilt the bike a little to the right (asked the wife to look). By the way, I found out (of course afterwards)the PO had replaced the oil/filter 2K miles ago so I'm not worried about a dirty filter, just want to avoid an overkill situation. Incidentally, what happens if the engine is overfilled, say by half a quart? Thanks in advance, as always.

Evening Lalali

It sounds like you are just a bit overfull now. Not a big deal on the BMW boxer as the crankshaft & cam chains are well above the oil full level. (see picture)

Usually, if way overfull some of the excess oil will end up in the lower chamber in the air box (there a drain valve on the air box lower left corner to drain anything in there).

BMW1200oillevel3-1.jpg

Thank you D.R. So ideally the top of the oil line needs to be visible within the sight window right below the red circle with the bike upright. So I'm guessing I'm about 100-150ml overfull. Should I sacrifice a crush washer and drain some out or let it be?

Thank you D.R. So ideally the top of the oil line needs to be visible within the sight window right below the red circle with the bike upright. So I'm guessing I'm about 100-150ml overfull. Should I sacrifice a crush washer and drain some out or let it be?

Morning kalali

If you want to--Personally I would just run it a little high as the oil level is still WAY below any harmful level.

Thanks. I don't expect to put more than a couple of thousand miles on the bike until we hit winter here in northeastern U.S. so I'll wait until the next oil change next spring.

Archived