IGNORED

2014 RT LC Pro-Shift Assist

mdm

I love the clutch-less shifts but recently I am hearing a "pop" out of the exhaust. In looking online at the RT reviews, apparently this is normal. Anyone else experiencing this? By the way I should mention that I did hear the pop before I replaced the stock muffler with the Akrapovick slip-on.

It's more noticeable on the GSA so suspect it's exhaust related since the GSA has a different system configuration. BTW, when I had the 6000 mile service on my 14 RT they did a SB on the shift assist and it could be my imagination but seems like the throttle blip at gear change was more noticeable after that.

I love the clutch-less shifts but recently I am hearing a "pop" out of the exhaust. In looking online at the RT reviews, apparently this is normal. Anyone else experiencing this? By the way I should mention that I did hear the pop before I replaced the stock muffler with the Akrapovick slip-on.

Normal. The pop is because the ignition is basically being shut-off for that instant while shifting.

Normal. The pop is because the ignition is basically being shut-off for that instant while shifting.

Agreed. The unburnt fuel is igniting in the hot exhaust.

I saw saw the other day that there was a software update around June for the rt. Does anyone know if these is correct and does it allow downshifts with the throttle open like BMW newest bikes do.

I had the software update and it is definitely smoother than before. I didn't even know to try and downshift with throttle open. dealer didn't say that was a possibility or maybe he just forgot? I'll let someone else try first :-)

It's more noticeable on the GSA so suspect it's exhaust related since the GSA has a different system configuration. BTW, when I had the 6000 mile service on my 14 RT they did a SB on the shift assist and it could be my imagination but seems like the throttle blip at gear change was more noticeable after that.

Do you know what the GSAP service bulletin was supposed to address? I'm curious because the GSAP on my 2015 RT has never worked well enough for me to make use of it. Gears 1 through 3 are so jerky -- only shifts to gears 4 through 6 were smooth enough. In comparison, the GSAP on my S1000XR works flawlessly. So I'm curious about what the service bulletin addressed.

Sorry don't know the specifics of the service bulletin but I'll inquire when I visit the dealer ( Touring Sport in Greenville) on Tuesday. They've got some pretty savvy techs there.

Wasn't aware that anyone was using it for the 1-2 up shift, gearing differences I would guess....

I believe the bulletin is a software update. Everyone I've heard from says it operates much smoother. I can shift thru all the gears smoothly without using the clutch

Mine does not pop on shifts, but does sometimes on the overrun. I think it sounds cool.

I had the service bulletin done on mine, and it now works well on 1-2 and 2-1, whereas previously it did not.

Other shifts seem a bit slicker, but only my subjective opinion.

Made no noticeable difference on mine.

I think mine has the issue of having too much engine oil in it.

I can confirm that too much oil in the crankcase will affect the shift! Too much is relative, of course. My 600 miles service was done by my dealer at 1,000 miles, and they had put in the 4 quarts of oil in after the oil change, which took the level to just on the very top of the sight glass. After picking up the bike from the dealer, I noticed that I was no longer able to make clean gear-change in the lower gears, at low speed. Fast-forward to now, at 6,000 miles (I am just about to do my 6k service), the RT had burned a little oil and brought the level down from the top by about 3/16", and now all of my gear-changes, at any speed or conditions, are noiseless again!

Well mine has had it's annual service done and of course they filled it to the top again.

Mine so far uses zero oil as far as I can see.

Due to ongoing issues when the dealer services my bikes, past and present, I will be doing all my services again. So next service I can fill the bike to the correct level of oil and see if that improves the shifting.

I have to say, that mine doesn't shift bad, it's just not as smooth as the 2015 R1200RS I wrote as a loaner bike some weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived