Air Pump For Garage -- Suggestions?

marcopolo

I'm looking for a good, reasonably priced, AC-powered air pump for my garage. I'dll be using it to top off my bike and car tires (I do not change my own tires).

I have a pump that I carry on the bike (powered through an accessory socket), but I'd like one just for my garage. That's why I want one that's AC-powered.

Any suggestions?

+1 for the small pumps like posted above. All you need for airing up tires and toys. Easy to store. Easy to tote to the car instead of running air hoses or electrical hookups. Not much good for air tools, but that is another story altogether.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Would something like this work for you?

Looks like a nice little unit. Having a tank (even a small one) is a step up because you don't have to sit next to it while it runs: flip it on, walk away, and come back when the tank is full. As Terry notes, this is small enough to lug to each tire instead of trying to manage a 50-foot hose.

For $99 (with coupon), it's hard to go wrong with that unit.

I've got a Black and Decker Air Station. They're like $45-50 at Home Depot or Walmart. It works great for bicycle tires and OK for motorcycle tires. It does not have a tank so car tires take forever. But, its small and light.

Would something like this work for you?

I have that very unit (from Harbor Freight), but I wouldn't say it's easy to carry around. I keep a 25' hose coiled around it, short enough to manage but long enough to reach all four tires on the car from one point. One nice thing is you can fill it up, unplug it and leave it in the corner, and it will air up a lot of MC tires before it has to be plugged in again. And it will drive intermittent air tools like nailers; it just can't keep up with continuous demand like a paint sprayer, and an impact gun would probably be a stretch. For me that makes it a nice intermediate unit - more than just an inflator, less than a professional grade compressor.

Pete

I use a small cheapy from Harbor Freight in a garage where I just air up bikes/cars etc. BUT mine is fitted with a nice self coiling hose and a race inflator that cost more than the compressor (has a built in bleed and calibrated gauge).

See Longacre for good inflators

For tire changing you want a 20 gal or larger tank and a good 3/8 hose to set beads. I've used a bunch but my present is a 27 gal 150 psi cheapy. It will run air guns wtc just fie but you'd waqnt a better compressor if you use continuous duty air tools to do, for example, body work or painting.

Archived