Electrical Problem - 2006 R1200RT

marcopolo

Yesterday, I was trying to add a bit of air to my tires. I plugged a pump into one of the bike's accessory sockets. When I flipped the switch on the pump, it didn't start. It just made a small "clunk" sound. I tried all three accessory outlets, with the same result. Thinking it was a pump problem, I then switched to a second pump I have. It too would not operate, no matter which of the three sockets I plugged it into.

Thinking that the computer that controls the accessory sockets must have been "tripped" by that first pump, I switched the ignition off, then back on. I still had no power out of any of the sockets. I tried this several times, with no luck.

Another strange thing happened. In the middle of all this, the Skene P3 lights on the rear of the bike stopped working (they had been on each time I switched on the ignition initially).

Everything else (all lights, turn signals, brake light etc.) seem to be fine, and the bike starts, but no power to the accessory sockets and no operating P3 lights.

I installed a new Odyssey battery as of a couple of months ago, and there don't appear to be any loose connections at the battery terminals. I also charged the battery for good measure. Still have the same two problems.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on?

Morning Mark

If you don't have an under seat (aftermarket) fuse box, or unseat add-in fuse, then you might have to disconnect your rear P3 lights to take that lighting load off of the accessory circuit so it will re-set at key on.

Also make sure you have the air pump unplugged before re-keying on.

Most of those little air pumps draw more than 10 amps so do tend to trip the computer controlled accessory circuit protection.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I solved the problem by managing to get in to see my independent tech on short notice. First he hooked up his GS-911. As expected, there was a fault: short in accessory circuit (or plug, I can't recall exactly). That said, no matter what he tried, he could not clear the fault. He even unhooked the battery at one point. And yes, the P3s were getting power from the rear accessory socket. The fault code eventually was cleared, but the problem persisted. Then the GS-911 said that the accessory socket was "off", but there was no way to turn it "on". At one point he wondered whether I had somehow done something to the ZFE.

Finally, however, as a last ditch go at it (before suggesting I get it plugged into a dealer computer), he disconnected the power wire from my old Autocom that was also getting its power from the rear accessory socket. Bingo. Both problems were solved in an instant -- accessory sockets were live and the P3s were working. I guess whatever I did with the pump somehow affected the Autocom. When it was removed from the equation, all was fine. Guess it's time to remove the Autocom, given I haven't used it in a number of years.

Great news, glad you got it fixed.

A valuable lesson, if you don't use it anymore, remove it.

Thanks, Bernie. See you on Wednesday (I'll be riding down with Bob).

And you're right, it is time to remove that Autocom.

Hello Mark. Long time no see.

If all the loads for your added accessories are originating from your rear accessory outlet, then perhaps a redistribution of the loads are in order. If nothing else, to eliminate problems losing three accessories at one time. I'm sure you are under the load rating of the outlet. I'd be looking at an aftermarket fuse block to get away from that canbus thing.

Happy riding.

MB>

Hello Mark. Long time no see.

If all the loads for your added accessories are originating from your rear accessory outlet, then perhaps a redistribution of the loads are in order. If nothing else, to eliminate problems losing three accessories at one time. I'm sure you are under the load rating of the outlet. I'd be looking at an aftermarket fuse block to get away from that canbus thing.

Happy riding.

MB>

If I recall correctly, the Autocom turns itself on every time the bike starts. With it now effectively "removed", I'm down to the P3s and whatever I plug into an accessory socket. That's a good idea about the fuse block. Thanks.

Yesterday, I was trying to add a bit of air to my tires. I plugged a pump into one of the bike's accessory sockets. When I flipped the switch on the pump, it didn't start.

Think you'll need to have the motor running to get power to the sockets. For sure there will be no power if the bike's been sitting with ignition off for a while.

Think you'll need to have the motor running to get power to the sockets. For sure there will be no power if the bike's been sitting with ignition off for a while.

Afternoon lkchris

I never needed the engine running on mine, just had to have the key on.

Yesterday, I was trying to add a bit of air to my tires. I plugged a pump into one of the bike's accessory sockets. When I flipped the switch on the pump, it didn't start.

Actually, I've been powering my pump in the exact same way on this bike for nine years, i.e., by simply turning on the key (and never starting the bike). What changed on Sunday is that I used a different pump at first, and that did me in.

Archived