Calif to Scottsdale, Az, in Dec

blackyam

Hi, everyone. I have a meeting in Scottsdale, Az, the second week of Dec. I'm thinking of riding out there from Calif. How are the weather and road conditions that time of year? Should I ditch the idea of riding? Thanks in advance.

---John.

CA to AZ is no problem in the winter. I10 LA to Phnx is much better than I40 Barkersfield to Flagstaff. I like US 60 from slightly east of Quartzite (on I10) to Wickenburg then 10 miles south to State 74 to I17. South of State 74 the US 60 becomes a commuter's nightmare. There have to be better roads than the interstate from LA to Blyth. Stay low in elevation, Flag is 7000 ft and can have snow and ice in Dec. Another boring route would be I8 San Diego to Yuma, then there are some slightly interesting roads to Quartzite or Maricopa. But this most southern route should not have snow.

• 2 months later...

Hi, all. I did the ride Dec 6 to Scottsdale and Dec 9 home. The weather was very good. Shoved off about 0300 each way. Beautiful night sky. Took about 13 hours each way. To Scottsdale, took I-5 S, missed the I-10 E exit, so I-605 N to I-10 to Phoenix, then Az SR-202 into town. On the way home, back tracked until around Redlands, then took the 210 to I-5. I liked that. Morning traffic was not so bad. Gas was cheaper in Az than Ca. Anyway, thanks again for your encouragement. I'm happy that I rode. :-)

---John.

Archived