IGNORED

update, 03 ping, tires , oil change.

joeb

Hi all. Just an update after a 4500 mile ride from Chicago to the twisties of the Colorado Rockies. In the past I had pinging issues at altitude and high temps. After a few bottles of injector cleaner bike ran strong all week. Tires : started trip with Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs. Had a little over 4000 miles on them , now close to 8500 miles. Performed wonderfully and looks like I can still get a few thousand more. This seems consistent with my last pair which lasted about 11000 miles. And no, I don't baby them. Oil change before trip. BOSCH 3330 FILTER from Walmart, $ 11. Mobile 1 V Twin full synthetic oil, Auto Zone $10 quart. Mobile Web site said their synthetic oil can be mixed with non synthetic oil. Good to know if miles away from a good source for oil and running a little low. Only issue I had was on two mornings after scrapping frost off bike, had a hard time starting. Think I flooded it, or maybe battery a little weak. A Gel Cell that may be 4 yrs old. Hope this update helps some.

Only issue I had was on two mornings after scrapping frost off bike, had a hard time starting. Think I flooded it, or maybe battery a little weak. A Gel Cell that may be 4 yrs old. Hope this update helps some.

Afternoon joeb

It was probably just that V-twin oil-- That is a good heavy based oil but sure doesn't allow quick cranking on cold mornings.

You might also try opening the twist grip to between 1/8 & 1/4 throttle on those cooler mornings (that usually really helps cold morning start up)

Thanks for input, I did notice the oil seemed unusually thick , 20w-50. For now dealing with hot weather, but will probably go for a thinner oil as the weather turns cold.

Archived