GPS Power Question

Dean Wirsing

I have an 07 RT. I bought it used, it came with a BMW Garmin Zumo GPS. I think it might be the Nav III, but I'm not sure. I have the Garmin mount for the bike and for the car. It works in the car, but it doesn't work well on the bike. It starts coming up, but then shuts off after a few minutes. If I hit the power button, it will start powering up, then shuts down again. I think the power is not steady. I haven't taken the bike apart yet to trace the power. Is the power the cable on the left side of the mount (as I face the GPS), or the right side? I suspect one is power and the other one is an output to the intercom (which I don't use).

Thanks,

Dean

I'll go out and try to hook it up. However, I have the power problem on the bike, so it never really gets booted up. I'll try it in the car tonight.

Dean

Answered my own question. I don't normally wear my glasses while riding, as my distance vision is good enough, so I didn't even realize the inputs on the left side were marked - microphone and audio output.

So that leaves the line on the right side to be the power supply. Makes sense, it is larger diameter wire, and the jack is screwed in.

I think when I moved the cradle from below the speedometer to above, and then tested it, the GPS must have been on internal battery power, because it worked fine then. I haven't used the GPS in a few years, so I think the internal battery is now almost dead. I suspect there is no power at all to the cradle.

Sorry to waste anybody's time.

Dean

Archived