IGNORED

Nav V

davagail

Got in bike today and GPS won't come on. So I stop take it out of cradle touch the button and it wakes up. Great I thought so I put back in cradle and dead nothing. Scroll through menu and display is shut off and won't turn on with wonder wheel. Called Bmw they said take battery out but haven't had time to do that as of yet. Any one elst have his problem and is so what's the fix?? 14 RT

Mine didn't come on after a fuel stop. I tried taking it loose and reinstalling it with no success. Was playing with wonderwheel and turned off/on display. It was on when I looked up. Not too concerned, my Zumo's have been like this for 10 years. I would probably take a cheap version GPS with me on a long trip. I was doing that with the Zumo's the last couple. I like Garmin GPS software and interface. But I do think they are lacking in reliability....

I have had that happen as well. There is nothing wrong with the GPS. The contacts on both the GPS and the ones on the bike are dirty! Clean them with alcohol and you will be good to go. GT

I have had that happen as well. There is nothing wrong with the GPS. The contacts on both the GPS and the ones on the bike are dirty! Clean them with alcohol and you will be good to go. GT

+1 Got off the bike and took the Nav with me, salt spray got on the bike contacts and the wonderwheel wouldn't work. Cleaned the contacts (nav and bike) with a damp cloth and all was well.

Took bike to shop for software update and they cleaned and greased contacts. Been working as it should since... Not sure how I got dirty contacts. GPS stays on bike all the time.

For what it is worth... brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department...

One of the first things I did when the bike got home from purchase was to apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to the Nav V contacts...

No issues...

Please be careful with dielectric grease on contacts. I personally will apply it on the rubber bits and try to keep it off the contacts. Too much could cause the magic electrons not to get to where they want to go.

Dielectric grease is by nature non-conductive. So it won't subvent rogue electrons. But, if it gets dirty it could become conductive I suppose. At any rate, I agree that less is better on the contacts. Kind of just enough to seal the contacts.

Archived