IGNORED

Hello from Council Bluffs, IA

DJ_Fission

Hello all, since I just joined this forum, I thought I should introduce myself. I ride a 2012 R1200R, I am a member of the IBA, and I really enjoy riding and touring on my bike. I'm not a huge fan of rallies or group rides. I got out of the Navy last year and did a 7500 mile "victory tour" of the United States, heading out to California and visiting friends along the way.

I look forward to seeing what this forum is about. My R1200R forum has good discussion, I really enjoy my friends and the community there, but sometimes new topics don't come up as often as I'd like. Other forums, such as the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum or SportTouring.com/.net seem to have too much noise and chatter, and not as much real riding information. I'm hoping that this forum, with its focus on BMW sport touring, will be a happy medium.

I look forward to getting to know the regulars here, and contributing when I can.

Welcome to our little sandbox - and thank you for your service. Take a look around, don't be bashful, and consider joining in on our UnRally next summer (not tooo far from you) - sounds like you will fit right in.

Oh, and please send me a piece of that killer carrot cake from M's Pub in Old Town. (former Offutt Air Force Puke)

I had an aunt and uncle that lived. Used to stop in for visits on our annual road trips to California to visit grandparents in the late 60's. Beautiful area. Was the Bertrand steamboat ever recovered and displayed? As a kid, my uncle took us to the archaeological site where they had found it (1968).

RPG

I certainly appreciate the welcome to the forum, but I always wonder why people thank me for me service. While I didn't have it as hard as the guys on the ground (I was on a fast attack submarine), it doesn't sit right with me.

This article is one of the more neutral articles on this topic...I'd ask that you read it. Of course, a Google search will turn up many more articles more filled with opinion, and the comments on those articles really are not worth reading.

I know this comes off as political, and I know that is forbidden on this forum, but I think it's an effective way for everyone to see what my mindset is.

And by the way...I love carrot cake! I will check out M's.

I had an aunt and uncle that lived. Used to stop in for visits on our annual road trips to California to visit grandparents in the late 60's. Beautiful area. Was the Bertrand steamboat ever recovered and displayed? As a kid, my uncle took us to the archaeological site where they had found it (1968).

RPG

I can't say if it was or not; I haven't heard of it. I only moved here in December, though.

I certainly appreciate the welcome to the forum, but I always wonder why people thank me for me service. While I didn't have it as hard as the guys on the ground (I was on a fast attack submarine), it doesn't sit right with me.

This article is one of the more neutral articles on this topic...I'd ask that you read it. Of course, a Google search will turn up many more articles more filled with opinion, and the comments on those articles really are not worth reading.

I know this comes off as political, and I know that is forbidden on this forum, but I think it's an effective way for everyone to see what my mindset is.

You're old school. My dad was a WWII vet. Flew in B-17s. You'd never know because he'd never talk about it as it was behind him. Today, it's like everyone has to know. Must be a difference in generations.

Dave_zoom_zoom

That's some pretty insightful stuff DJ. Thanks for sharing!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum and my hometown. I have lived in Florida for 9 years now but get back a couple times a year to see family. @ places you have to try if you haven't already, Pizza King (everything is great) on North Broadway and Sam's Italian on West Broadway (some of the best onion rings I have ever had). I always take the family to Pizza King when we are back and try to make it to Sam's but don't always get back there.

I just upgraded to a 2012 R1200RT premium myself.

DJ,

There are several slang meanings for the term squid, two of which are probably coming in to play here. From a motorcycling perspective, squid typically is used to describe a sportbike rider, especially one who may have overestimated his ability.

I don't think that's what Chris (lawnchairboy) meant.

It's also used as a less than complimentary reference to a US Navy sailor. (As with most such terms, those who are in the group feel comfortable using the term to others in the group without the negative connotation.) Since you said in your intro post that you had recently separated from the Navy, this seems more likely, especially, since Chris retired from the Navy just last year. Of course you had no way of knowing that, since you're a recent addition to the group.

Urban Dictionary - Squid

DJ,

There are several slang meanings for the term squid, two of which are probably coming in to play here. From a motorcycling perspective, squid typically is used to describe a sportbike rider, especially one who may have overestimated his ability.

I don't think that's what Chris (lawnchairboy) meant.

It's also used as a less than complimentary reference to a US Navy sailor. (As with most such terms, those who are in the group feel comfortable using the term to others in the group without the negative connotation.) Since you said in your intro post that you had recently separated from the Navy, this seems more likely, especially, since Chris retired from the Navy just last year. Of course you had no way of knowing that, since you're a recent addition to the group.

Urban Dictionary - Squid

Yes, I'm familiar with both uses of the term. That's why I asked...no malice intended, just curiosity. There wasn't any context in the post, and I didn't know that LCB was retired Navy. That's why I was thinking it might be the "sportbike rider" definition, since the R1200R could be considered a squiddy bike, compared to the RT/GS bikes that a lot of tourers prefer to ride.

But that's why I just simply asked the question, instead of flying off the handle at a possibly incorrect assumption...I'm new, and being an accusatory dick is the quickest way to be told to leave. I hope that's understandable.

Archived