IGNORED

Russell Day long provided rain cover question

Lone_RT_rider

I've had a couple of these covers over the years, this being my second. When I received the current cover it worked as advertised and kept the rain off my seat. Now, not so much. Can anyone recommend a spray, wash or any other kind of secondary treatment that would allow this to come back to life and do it's job again?

Shawn

If it were mine I would get a can of silicone spray in the tent/camping section of your favorite store. Make sure the cover is clean and dry, then apply a couple coats of repellent and let it dry. Beyond that, I don't know what could be done.

I had a couple seat covers for Russells too. They are an absolute pain to use, I kept worrying about them coming off if I stood on the pegs for a moment. The past two Russells are like the rider, out in the rain and breeze naked! Or at least without a cover on them. I keep leather conditioner on the one on the RT. Bought it to ride on, not fuss with and so far have seen zero effects from riding in the rain. I do have a bike cover that I use for overnight stops, that is probably helpful to the seat for dew and rain showers.

Ever see a cowboy use a rain cover on his leather saddle? I didn't think so. Leather has been getting wet for thousands of years and does just fine, especially when maintained correctly.

Ever see a cowboy use a rain cover on his leather saddle? I didn't think so. Leather has been getting wet for thousands of years and does just fine, especially when maintained correctly.

On my R12RT It's not leather, it's their grip-tec sport material and it needs to be protected from the sun, that's why I use a cover at work. I just noticed yesterday that it also doesn't seem to do well keeping the rain out anymore.

I have a leather Russell on my R11RT and will never have one again. Once it gets broken in, it get's slippery as hell. The minute you have an "emergency braking" situation, your singing soprano.

Hey buddy - while not necessarily a rain repellent, 303 is the only thing made that should be touching vinyl, according to my old craggy and very expensive boat upholstery dude. It will add some slip to smooth vinyl though, not sure how that would work for your seat grip. Keep practicing those high notes, I say.

303-aerospace-protectant-32-oz-4.gif

Archived