IGNORED

adding top case brake light

Paul4450

I'm new to this forum and also to owning a BMW- 2014 RT. I'd like to add the stock brake lite to the top case (light version) (it would be great if it would function as a running lite as well), but do not have central locking, and so cannot apparently just hook up the OEM top case brake light. I've looked around and I think the Skene IQ-160 might do the trick. I saw their installation instructions but am not sure if that is the wiring for an RT w/ central locking or not.

Has anyone had any experience with this? The Skene LED's are just rectangular pads, and while they seem to work really well, I'm not in love w/ their appearance. My understanding so far is that w/ the Skene controller won't throw an error code and can make the OEM brake lite function as both a brake lite and running lite, correct??

I am running the Skene lights in my top case. I also wanted running lights as well as brake lights. The "flicker" they rave about on their sight is surprisingly eye catching, less irritating to others than I would have guessed. I like have the rapid initial flash of the brake light, but beware it is hard to program on the RT.

Sure was easy to program on my 2015 RT. No problem!

GT

Then BMW must have changed the brake light system for 2015. On the 2014 there is a delay after you release the brake lever. Which makes it VERY difficult to get the right number of "flashes" to run the program. The fast/least effort way to do it would be to use an external power source to trigger the program, then hook it back into the brake light trigger.

I have changed mine several times with no issues. Try going slow and very deliberate. It should work. GT

Well, that is proof that the 2015 must be different! The problem is that you cannot go fast enough. Meaning that the bikes brake light stays on momentarily after your release of the brake pedal. So that if you try to do it fast it simply never shuts off and that means the program isn't seeing the on/off cycles needed to set the program and it times out.

PS. Just checked the Skene Design website. There is a new software package with the lights. Instead of 5 seconds to complete the program, it appears they have removed that timer for input completion. While the 2015 RT is likely the same, the difference is in the lights. So anyone buying these will have an easy time programming!

Thank you for the information and feedback. I do not have central locking on my box, so there is no existing wiring in the box to tap into. So I will hope that the wiring diagram on the Skene site for the 2014 RT will apply to my bike without central locking. I will contact Skene to see if the OEM brake lite is capable of variable brightness, so it can function as a running lite and brake lite. Skene seems to be my best chance at the solution I am looking for.

There is brake light wiring you can tap into in the tail section of the RT. Even without the factory accessory package including remote locking. Easy!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not that easy, but doable, with a lot of time and effort to do it neatly and "right". Since the "light" top box has NO wiring in it (but does have the sealing grommets on the bottom and in the brakelight recess in the top shell), I had to disassemble the whole box, with no instructions (none that I could find). It just took time and patience. Dealing w/ the locking mechanisms for the mounting brackets and the lid took some time to figure out, along w/ figuring out how to remove the gas struts, so the top could be removed, so I could then remove in lower inner shell so I could run the wire properly. If anyone has changed their air filter, then you will understand! I set it up with a waterproof connector (from Summit Racing) under the rack so I don't have to remove the seats to install or remove the top box.

Archived