IGNORED

RE: R1200C

Skywagon

2001 BMW R1200C Phoenix...There is a bike in my neighborhood for sale. I've always thought these bikes looked like a cool cruiser but have no knowledge of them. I've owned several RT's airhead, oilhead, and now wethead. Do these bikes have conventional or whizzy brakes. What things should I look for such as final drive play,clutch slipping, maintenance records, etc. Bike has about 40k miles and is cosmetically perfect. Thanks.

Yes,everything. Well almost. Plenty of info. They have the same 259 engine,defined for cruising. Has great balance, but don't plan on keeping up with the rt crowd unless your really really good in the twisties.

Pitted rims are common unless cast wheels. Yes,wizzy brakes but dependable. Also go to pokiespages.com for a bunch of repair info.

The Rocketman

No whizzy brakes on pre-2003 R1200C's. Some '03's have them, and all '04's have them, but '98-'02 don't. Final drive failures are as common as on most other oilheads. Shake it down for movement, look for signs of leaks and/or stains on the rear wheel, tire, etc (look like tiger stripes). Look for drips/burn marks on top of the silencer to see if the transmission output shaft seal has a leak. Verify functionality of ABS or you're looking at $1200+ for an ABS module, or time doing an ABS-ectomy. Check inside the fuel tank to see if the liner is peeling. Other than that, everything is fixable and maintenance records will help a lot.

Thanks all.. I really like this bike, but neighbor may be asking more than all the books say its worth. I'm working it...we'll see how it comes out.

As well he should. The phoenix is considered a limited edition because of the paint scheme. Not as limited as the last year run of a Montauk but rare and beautiful enough to warrant a higher price.

Archived