IGNORED

Zero at the track

eddd

I took my CBR900RR to Mountain Springs Motorsports Raceway in Pahrump, NV on Saturday. I was at the tech inspection station when another bike came up next to me. It took a moment to realize it was moving but not making any real noise.

It turns out that a company out of Hollywood had brought a couple Zeros to run on the track.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I had some track time with one of the bikes, and everything they say about instant torque/power seems to be true. The acceleration was impressive, especially down the straightaway.

There is a 180 degree turn just before the longer straightaway that brings your speed way down. As soon as the Zero cleared the turn it was flying down the straight. As you might imagine it wasn't the fastest through the corners since it isn't a sportbike, but they were no slouches.

It turns out that a company out of Hollywood had brought a couple Zeros to run on the track.

I'm guessing it was Hollywood Electrics.

https://hollywoodelectrics.com

I believe they are actually in the City of West Hollywood.

It's very exciting to see the progression of electric transportation.

Recent developments like Graphene & Supercapaciters as well as Tesla's Gigafactory 1 make the future of electric transportation look Bright :thumbsup:

"Whhoooooooooooooooooosh......."

I rode one. Try it. You'll discover a whole new level of safety you never knew existed. For example, contrary to the "loud pipes save lives" nonsense, you can actually HEAR the road noise of cars coming up behind you. You can hear them WELL before you normally do, and react accordingly. It's actually quite astonishing. Full torque from zero rpm on up - no muss, no fuss, no waiting. It's an experience!

-MKL

I don't subscribe to the "loud pipes save lives" BS but instead feel that a bike's exhaust note is a visceral part of the riding experience, more for some than others.

I admit I'm intrigued by that lack of valve checks and oil changes. Brake fluid, drive belt and tires look like all that's required. I could be a winner for my commuting needs.

It's a very strange feeling, "whooooshing" through the air, especially on the highway. You hear things going on around you that you never heard before - this undoubtedly has the effect of making you more aware, and more alert.

Where I miss the "traditional" gas engine is canyon carving or mountainous roads. There is an art to shifting well and it is a hard won skill. Relearning how to "engine brake" instead of downshifting takes some time - but like everything else, with effort over a period, it can be mastered.

I'm often wondering if someday, the same phenom that has taken hold in cars will take hold in bikes. After getting used to the family EVs (including a Tesla,) not a single EV driver I know has any plans to switch back. Nobody misses the noise, the vibration, the expense, etc. of gas cars. They feel crude and unrefined by comparison, and the instant torque of electric is very, very addicting.

But bikes are much more visceral than cars. Even the crappiest $800 moped has more emotional involvement in it than most cars under $100,000. I wonder if, someday, electric bikes will truly gain a foothold. If the range improves a great deal, I suspect the answer will be yes. They're getting better, all the time!

(And, unlike cars, America is in the leading product position in the electric bike industry - maybe we can actually do something beyond making slow straight line cruisers?)

-MKL

Took one of these for a test ride, a student on his basic safety course turned up on one. They are very quick in a straight line .

Found the lack of engine braking wierd but got used to it. There is some discussion as to wether or not they fall into a learner125cc category as they are very quick and the torque is unbelievable.

As in a Tesla and most other EVs, the rate of engine braking is adjustable. NO way (if adjusted to your tastes) that there would be a "lack" of engine braking. If anything, it's quite powerful and you would very rarely use the mechanical brakes at all other than full stops.

-MKL

"Whhoooooooooooooooooosh......."

I rode one. Try it. You'll discover a whole new level of safety you never knew existed. For example, contrary to the "loud pipes save lives" nonsense, you can actually HEAR the road noise of cars coming up behind you. You can hear them WELL before you normally do, and react accordingly. -MKL

Excellent point. Being able to hear what's around me has saved my tail more than a few times on the freeway.

RPG

Archived