Tire for long wear ?

90RedRider

Looking for tires soon , what has given you good mileage with moderate riding not that aggressive . I figure any good tire is gonna have the traction. With a trip I find most riding is on middle of tire and tends to wear leaving sides of tire w/ lots of tread . When I get there I can even them up some but... Have a Mich. on front and a Dunlop rear. Just got the bike , I didn't do that . Appreciate any advice , Sid

I've had good luck with Metzler Z6s in the past, and have heard similar reports from the more current Z8 model - up to 14000 on a set for me. Currently running Pilot Roads with about 10000 that still look good.

My latest find has been the Avon Storm 3D X-M. On my 2008 RT I got 11000 miles on them and they were not completely to the wear bars when I removed them. Sticky when wet....quiet riding. I changed them due to an upcoming trip with the same tire.

Ron

OK, here is my $.02's worth. It's Michelin for my '11 RT. I got 13,900 on a rear PR3. I then went with a PR4 GT rear and got 16,000 on it with tread left...replaced only because I had a long trip too. You can't complain about that kind of mileage from a motorcycle tire. Of course with 3/32nds less on the front tire new you get fewer miles...but Michelin for me. "Your mileage may vary."

I've always liked Avon tires but for the last few years have been running Michelin "PR 3/4/4gt tires. I'm (apparently) almost singularly under-impressed with the PR4 GT's.

So I started researching alternatives, beginning with the Avon's.

I found this ad on Motorcycle SuperStore while researching the Avon 3D X-M tire:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/70276/i/avon-storm-3d-x-m-radial-rear-tire

Notice the last line under "Product Information":

15,000 Mile treadwear warranty on all Avon Cobra and Storm 3D X-M tires

Under the heading of "probably too good to be true" I called Motorcycle SuperStore & asked. After several minutes on hold their Rep. came back on the line & stated that was indeed the manufacturer's policy, subject to verification. Asking how to prove it he said the tire(s) are returned to them & they in turn send on it to Avon.

Not knowing any particular's beyond what is stated here and for no other reason then I have never seen a tire/thread warranty as "generous" as this appears to be I decided to share.

Truth be told, I've never seen 15k out of a rear tire!

So there you are; thought it worth posting.

Archived