IGNORED

2006 RT

lawnchairboy

Every time I psych up myself to sell it, i have second thoughts.

Over the last three days I put another 600 on the old girl. 52-53 mpg easy sea level mix of level ground highway cruising and stop and go from VA up to Cape May and back and then out towards smith mountain lake and back. I finally took the luggage apart for the second time I've owned it and douched out all the mechanisms cause they were getting ornery again.

Thing is like a slipper on me. Nearing 70k.

Just eats up miles in comfort and old style valves which are idiot easy to adjust. I'm posting this so someone can repost it for me if I ever sell her.

Dave_zoom_zoom

I hear you!

I'm still in love with my R1200RT. I bought her new in late 2005. Only got 99,678 KM on her. Still runs great! She is a red one. (one of the fast ones) :grin:

Dave

It's what I say every time I ride over 300km on my RT: this bike was just made to devour the miles.

This forum is a goldmine for all things that can go wrong, I know how much fuel, brake pads and tyre it uses, it has used maybe 150cc of oil in 100000km, I know exactly how much servicing costs, my dealer already quoted the eventual cost of a clutch replacement, I know how many km I can do on it in a day... what more can I ask?

My '06 RT is now at 225K miles, and I just returned from a 7K mile trip to CA and return to VA. It runs perfectly.

Did re-do the rear axle, plus the drive shaft at about 183K, and the fuel pump controller died at 125K, but otherwise it's been a great machine.

Only question is: when should it be replaced?

I bought a 2006 RT in July as well with only 14,500 miles on it. Sweet!

This is my 2nd RT. I also have a 2002 with 100,200 miles on it and it runs great.

I do have the same problem as Bernie, the usage of tires and fuel.

Finally, I also agree with tallman, the time to get rid of the RT is when they stop making tires, oil and gas for it, "OR" when you purchase a newer model.

I bought my 05 RT in 2010 and it is great. I did get a Russell Seat and just installed Ohlins shocks so in some ways, the bike is better than new. Actually, with the new shocks, it feels and handles much better than it ever did. I think my RT and I will be together for a very long time.

My '06 RT is now at 225K miles, and I just returned from a 7K mile trip to CA and return to VA. It runs perfectly.

Did re-do the rear axle, plus the drive shaft at about 183K, and the fuel pump controller died at 125K, but otherwise it's been a great machine.

Only question is: when should it be replaced?

That's impressive mileage. It's hard to believe that you are still on the original suspension. My rear ESA strut died at 55,000 mi.

Every time I psych up myself to sell it, i have second thoughts.

Still the only 12RT I have ever spent mentionable time on, she's a comfortable machine and definitely a fine touring mount. I'll be sad if you sell my favorite loanercycle...

• 2 weeks later...
Identical to mine.

Well,------------Do your lawn and shrubs look that good? :grin:

Mine don't!

Dave

That would be the work of my wife! She is my resident gardner! I keep my bikes pristine and she does the same with her hobby .... the yard.

• 3 weeks later...

My '05 r12rt has 66K on it. It runs better now then when I got it with 12K. I don't ever want to see her go. Best motorcycle I have ever owned !!

My '05 r12rt has 66K on it. It runs better now then when I got it with 12K. I don't ever want to see her go. Best motorcycle I have ever owned !!

As others have said before me... "then don't ride a wethead"

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous bite, I have the same in Anthracite dark grey.

I am the same, every spring, I think maybe it's time to trim the stable and replace a philly with a new one, then I wash her, take her for a ride and fall in love with it all over again. Soon after that, it's time to eat up the Japense disposables in the twisties of the Alps! :rofl:

Archived