IGNORED

Garmin Nav V: Master reset vs. battery out/in?

Sailorlite

When the Nav V gets really confused or just quits, evidently it can be "rebooted" by removing and reinstalling the battery or by performing a Master Reset.

Which procedure should be chosen when?

Morning Sailorlite

Best answer is: use the one that works for the situation you are in.

If master reset doesn't work then try the battery removal next.

On the road it is usually easier to do the master reset as that doesn't require battery removal but in some cases battery removal is the only thing that will work.

The first thing I usually try is power down (if possible), then remove from bike's 12v power, then try a simple power on a couple of times (this retains all your info & routing data so is the least intrusive)

If that doesn't work then you need to get serious!

The whole thing is for the birds. The fact that this happens (apparently) so often is pathetic.

We have a Tesla in the family, which uses an enormous 17" high definition screen to display a detailed GPS using Google Maps. Makes this crashing Garmin stuff look positively amateur.

-MKL

The whole thing is for the birds. The fact that this happens (apparently) so often is pathetic.

We have a Tesla in the family, which uses an enormous 17" high definition screen to display a detailed GPS using Google Maps. Makes this crashing Garmin stuff look positively amateur.

Morning MKL

Try taking that 17" high definition screen display & mounting it on the hood out in the weather, then completely disconnect the power & remove/reinstall it once in a while, then make the power supply use both it's internal battery & external (varying voltage) power supply, then get that system to use custom routes made on another device using added-in via points & using maps that don't always match your GPS system. Then just to give it a real test stick in a route someone else made that has conflicting time-stamps on the routing data.

The Nav5 is pretty stable as long as the power supply stays constant & you don't add in a corrupt mapping item, or add a route with a glitch in it.

I've had my Nav V since December, 2013. It's generally been very stable throughout. I can think of one glitch out west last summer where I had to remove it from the cradle and simply shut it down and re-start it.

Morning MKL

Try taking that 17" high definition screen display & mounting it on the hood out in the weather, then completely disconnect the power & remove/reinstall it once in a while, then make the power supply use both it's internal battery & external (varying voltage) power supply, then get that system to use custom routes made on another device using added-in via points & using maps that don't always match your GPS system. Then just to give it a real test stick in a route someone else made that has conflicting time-stamps on the routing data.

The Nav5 is pretty stable as long as the power supply stays constant & you don't add in a corrupt mapping item, or add a route with a glitch in it.

I get that, DR, but the day is coming (and soon) when the capabilities (and more importantly, ease of use) of a GPS program right on your phone or tablet (like Google Maps, for example) makes the Garmin type (and all its basecamp user friendliness) obsolete.

-MKL

I get that, DR, but the day is coming (and soon) when the capabilities (and more importantly, ease of use) of a GPS program right on your phone or tablet (like Google Maps, for example) makes the Garmin type (and all its basecamp user friendliness) obsolete.

Morning MKL

That is already here for non-power users. People that just want to get from point A to point B are already using phone GPS systems or vehicle OEM onboard systems to great effect.

Where Garmin systems (still) really shine is in using custom made mapping (like open street) & making custom turn-by-turn back tracking, through non-routable areas & on twisty back roads that a phone system would never try to route a vehicle on.

Try to stick a track into your smart phone, tablet, or OEM vehicle system. Try to get that same smart phone, tablet, or OEM vehicle system to route you over a non routable road or through a woods trail.

Try to do a custom turn by turn route with track-backs, track-overs, hundreds of via points, then put those on any smart phone, tablet, or OEM vehicle system let alone put the VERY SAME route on 12 bikes in the same riding group so they ALL follow the very same convoluted routing & turn directions.

I do a LOT of GPS riding in areas that are not on Google maps or other conventional GPS maps & for this type of riding there just isn't ANY other way than using BaseCamp & custom maps with custom routes or underlying tracks.

Panhandle Chuck

-MKL

Totally agree. I use my iPhone mounted in the cage over any Garmin I own (currently NAV V). I always thought Google should sell/lease/develop their maps program to a satellite based GPS company for us outdoorsy types!

My Nav V acted up one day and just kept repeating a street name: "Turn left at Barney Street, Barney Street, Barney Street, Barney Street, Barney Street, Barney Street, Barney Street, Barney Street, Barney Street..... You get the idea.

A master reset wouldn't do anything in this situation. After battery removal: ALL WAS GOOD.

As mentioned before, it depends on the situation. I expect that in most cases, a master reboot will do.

Archived