IGNORED

Aerostich refurbishing. What's your experience?

EffBee

I have a 1-pc Roadcrafter and I love how it has performed for me. But I've had issues with Aerostich, starting from when it took 11 months of back and forth from CA to MN to get the suit right, even though I was at the factory in Duluth for my initial fitting. And culminating with the suit FINALLY being made, but with the silver instead of the hi-viz ballistics I'd ordered. After some substantial discounting, I agreed to accept it.

After many years of good use, I recently decided to send it in for cleaning/refurb/re-waterproofing, as well as to have their new waterproof (water-resistant) main zipper and leg zipper installed. A 4-week promise time turned into 8 weeks, but I did get it back today. The zippers appear to be fine. A few pieces of Velcro were also replaced (they could have done more, as a few others aren't exactly pristine, but were left alone). However, the suit looks 90% as dirty as when I sent it in.

I understand that road grime is a PITA to wash out. Especially after many years. So I called them to make sure it actually was laundered and treated, and they assured me it was, that the checklist was checked and signed by the person doing it, each stop of the way. So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now, because if it wasn't laundered, I'll know when it gets wet because it won't have been re-waterproofed either (since both take place when laundering).

My question to those of you who have sent your Aerostich products in for this service is, How Clean Was Your Gear When You Got It Back? I've heard people rave, saying their 'Stich products came back looking like new. Mine looks just about like the day I sent it in. Is this the norm? Am I expecting too much? Or has the personalized service, quality, workmanship and attention to detail faded from the Aerostich operation?

I'm curious. Me or them? What's your experience?

I had the exact same service a year or so ago. 12-13 yo Roadcrafter. Upon return the suit looked basically the same -- maybe a tad brighter/cleaner, but not much -- but the functional condition of the suit was improved -- refreshed water repellant and new zipper works fine. I was satisfied with the cost/performance.

I never considered paying the money to have it washed. It's just nylon and gore-tex. Your home washing machine (or the jumbo unit down at the laundromat) should work just fine. Just wash it on cold and drip dry. Use a garden variety waterproofing treatment if you like. I try to wash mine at once a year. I will say that if you leave grime in there for 10 years and then try to wash it, it probably won't work out too well. At the same time, my home washing program wasn't ever a magic show either. It's a little less grey, but it's the same old faded red suit.

I have, however, sent the suit in for some velcro and / or zipper repairs. Perfect work - can't hardly tell anything happened, except for the new bits here and there.

I have also inquired at my local shop ( Rainy Pass Repair ) about replacing zippers. I thought perhaps I could save some shipping, etc. But they had some big convoluted procedure, and it was gonna cost about as much as aerostich + shipping. I figured I'm better off sending it to the guys that built it.

FWIW: That long wait / sizing issue when you bought it - do what I did: Order a couple sizes of suits in random colors. Try them on and send them back. Order the size / color you like. :thumbsup:

Greetings!

It was probably 7-8 years ago when I sent my RC 1-Piece back to the mothership for inspection/laundering. It came back not looking much cleaner, but the water repellency was much better.

Given those results, I just wash mine at home with Nikwax Techwash and TX Direct to clean (to whatever degree)/re-apply water repellent myself.

I just replaced my >10 year old roadcrafter with a new one this season. Same colors (suit/ballistics). The difference in color is pretty remarkable due to fading of the old one. It REALLY looks dingy compared to the new blue/black one that I have.

Perhaps that (fade) is also part of the reason it doesn't look as nice as you'd like? Just a thought.

Best regards!

Jim

Thanks. Good input. I guess after carrying most of the suit's grime for many years, it's probably too much to hope that it would at least come 75% clean. It didn't. Not even close. But it's not the suit's fault, nor Aerostich's. It's mine. I didn't wash it at all. And I guess it sort of "baked" in.

Dirty Roadcrafters are a sort of "badge of honor." They show that you ride. A lot. I was hoping to get it back cleaner so I could begin the process of accumulating the country's road grime all over again. But it'll just have to pile on what's already there. At least I got the fabric retreated and the zippers upgraded. Should keep most of the rain out.

J

I have a 1-pc Roadcrafter and I love how it has performed for me. But I've had issues with Aerostich, starting from when it took 11 months of back and forth from CA to MN to get the suit right, even though I was at the factory in Duluth for my initial fitting. And culminating with the suit FINALLY being made, but with the silver instead of the hi-viz ballistics I'd ordered. After some substantial discounting, I agreed to accept it.

After many years of good use, I recently decided to send it in for cleaning/refurb/re-waterproofing, as well as to have their new waterproof (water-resistant) main zipper and leg zipper installed. A 4-week promise time turned into 8 weeks, but I did get it back today. The zippers appear to be fine. A few pieces of Velcro were also replaced (they could have done more, as a few others aren't exactly pristine, but were left alone). However, the suit looks 90% as dirty as when I sent it in.

I understand that road grime is a PITA to wash out. Especially after many years. So I called them to make sure it actually was laundered and treated, and they assured me it was, that the checklist was checked and signed by the person doing it, each stop of the way. So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now, because if it wasn't laundered, I'll know when it gets wet because it won't have been re-waterproofed either (since both take place when laundering).

My question to those of you who have sent your Aerostich products in for this service is, How Clean Was Your Gear When You Got It Back? I've heard people rave, saying their 'Stich products came back looking like new. Mine looks just about like the day I sent it in. Is this the norm? Am I expecting too much? Or has the personalized service, quality, workmanship and attention to detail faded from the Aerostich operation?

I'm curious. Me or them? What's your experience?

If you use a good spray on laundry pre wash/stain remover and scrub it in with a brush, let it sit for 30 minutes, then was with nikwash and then wash again with their water repellent wash in it should come out much cleaner. Even hi viz comes out 90% clean.

Doug

Dirty Roadcrafters are a sort of "badge of honor." They show that you ride. A lot.

Amen. This is exactly how I feel. I rode in to get fit for my new one and said to the woman helping me that I thought there should be a special place that we can retire well worn roadcrafters to once they've diligently done their job (in my case about 70k miles) but have worn/frayed/whatever so much that it doesn't make sense to repair them and they need to be replaced.

Best regards!

Jim

about three months ago, I had some minor mods, a small repair, and cleaning and rewaterproofing done. I have the a high viz two piece original road crafter. It appeared to be just as dirty as when I sent it in. The rewaterproofing appears to have been effective however. I was a bit disappointed in the appearance of the suit when it returned, I figured it would look cleaner.

still love the thing. it was purchased in 2006.

They offered me the same deal when I sent mine in to have the velcro replaced and I declined. Getting a stich perfectly clean is almost impossible as I have the high vis yellow with the silver balistic patches. I have found that even with hand scrubbing the heck out of it with a 50/50 mix of dawn soap and water, it gets about 70% of the dark spotted areas clean.

Oh....and the velcro they re-installed was half the width of the original. I was less than pleased with that.

Shawn

John Ranalletta
I have found that even with hand scrubbing the heck out of it with a 50/50 mix of dawn soap and water, it gets about 70% of the dark spotted areas clean.
Suggest you try diluted Resolve, available at WalMart, et al. I used it on soiled upholstery and car carpeting. Works great. My nephew uses it exclusively for carpet stains in his biz.

Haven't used it on a Stitch, but I'd try it for the $.

newpackshots_group_ccsr.png

I have found that even with hand scrubbing the heck out of it with a 50/50 mix of dawn soap and water, it gets about 70% of the dark spotted areas clean.
Suggest you try diluted Resolve, available at WalMart, et al. I used it on soiled upholstery and car carpeting. Works great. My nephew uses it exclusively for carpet stains in his biz.

Haven't used it on a Stitch, but I'd try it for the $.

newpackshots_group_ccsr.png

John, I have tried resolve. The dawn dish soap actually does a better job. I've had this suit for 10 years, I've tried so many things.

Archived