Waddya know about web hosting?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Comcast is eliminating its web-hosting service this fall, which means I have to relocate my cheesy little website. This is new territory for me. Some questions, hopefully someone here will have answers:

What should I be looking for in a web-hosting service? I found these guys. Are their prices representative of what's out there? Are they amazingly cheap/ridiculously expensive?

What are the parameters they're talking about that are associated with each level of service? "Disk space" is easy enough (my site is about 1GB, so 5GB of disk space would be enough), but what about:

"FPM Max children?"

"PHP script time?"

"MySQL limits?"

"PHP memory limit?"

"Database query limit?"

I tried Googling for some of these terms, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. :confused:

My website is peppered with Google AdSense ads; according to Google, I'm getting about 120 pageviews per day. For those parameters listed above, what kind of quantities should I be looking for?

All of the parameters you listed above are for websites that use much more than HTML, which is what I think your site consists of.

From the Wikipedia page on PHP - "PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development but also used as a general-purpose programming language. "

You don't have any PHP, or a database running in MYSQL, so don't worry about those pieces.

I used to use hardhathosting.com when I had a need to do this, but their pricing is much higher than what I saw on the link you provided.

I think that should work fine.

The trick is going to be getting all the links that direct traffic to your Comcast site to be updated to get the customers to your new site, wherever that might be. Is Comcast offering any services to make that transition smoother?

Mitch...if you use credit card or other personal info, you might want to understand their limits of liability around PII and PIA. There are a lot of cheap webhosting options that generally don't cover you legally or financially if you run into PII and PIA. Those claims are becoming frequent and quite menacingly large. If you are storing PII or using credit card info for transactions, you don't want to carry the risk of poor security practices. There aren't enough mojo levers on the planet to pay for the claims should your web hosting provider breach confidentiality.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The trick is going to be getting all the links that direct traffic to your Comcast site to be updated to get the customers to your new site, wherever that might be. Is Comcast offering any services to make that transition smoother?

Comcast hasn't said anything, and I doubt they're going to offer anything. They gave me about two months' warning, and so I think the expectation is that customers will upload their own redirect pages to their Comcast site to redirect customers for a while before it gets shut down for good. That should work fine for me for the next month, and by then hopefully my new site will be showing up on Google searches. I may also buy some Google ads for a little while to make sure I pop up in searches. Fall is a slow sales season anyway, and this ain't my day job, so if there's a little hiccup I won't be too bothered.

Mitch...if you use credit card or other personal info, you might want to understand their limits of liability around PII and PIA. There are a lot of cheap webhosting options that generally don't cover you legally or financially if you run into PII and PIA. Those claims are becoming frequent and quite menacingly large. If you are storing PII or using credit card info for transactions, you don't want to carry the risk of poor security practices. There aren't enough mojo levers on the planet to pay for the claims should your web hosting provider breach confidentiality.

A good thing to be careful about, but this shouldn't be an issue for me. My customers pay by mailing me a check/money order or by PayPal; the only PII I end up with is their shipping address, which doesn't pass through my website at all.

Mitch,

I've had good results with Hostmonster. I currently have in excess of 20 web sites hosted with them. Click the link below to check out the speed of your site running at Hostmonster.

mojoweb.us/mojoweb.html

It's best if you get your own domain name so if you get dissatisfied with your hosting company, you can just move your domain name to a different hosting company (or point to a different name server). Then all of your Google search history will still be valid.

Steve

Archived