IGNORED

GPS glare on Nav 5

gordiet

My GPS is useless with the glare on the screen at times. I saw an ad in one of my boating magazine for a product called NuShield. I ordered one that is cut to fit. WOW! What a difference. That thing really works. 13 bucks, worth it.

GT

I'm installing today and then writing an article about it.

-MKL

Afternoon MKL

I have used those matt screen covers for years (not the Nu Shield product though)

When you do your testing-- be sure to also test with the GPS in the shade with bright sunlight directly out in front of you (where mine shows some resolution degradation).

If you get enough material you can make a 1/2 screen cover (split vertically) as that shows how (or IF) the screen cover improves bright sun viewing or detracts from shady veiwing. This is how I tested the effectiveness of the one I use.

Will do, DR. Installation was under 3 minutes, working slowly and methodically. Couldn't be easier. This film is precut to the exact dimensions of Nav V, so there is no "leftover" material.

-MKL

My GPS is useless with the glare on the screen at times. I saw an ad in one of my boating magazine for a product called NuShield. I ordered one that is cut to fit. WOW! What a difference. That thing really works. 13 bucks, worth it.

GT

THANKS

I bought a NuShield film for my Nav5 and it doesn't make a difference in the one situation where I wanted improvement: direct sunlight.

"NuShield, your best defense against screen wear and glare." (Except when it's sunny.)

I bought a NuShield film for my Nav5 and it doesn't make a difference in the one situation where I wanted improvement: direct sunlight.

"NuShield, your best defense against screen wear and glare." (Except when it's sunny.)

I agree. I also got one based on the feedback on this thread. Put it on on Sunday and went for two-hour ride in late afternoon sun.

I think that the shield's effects are minimal in most lighting situations. When the sun is directly behind me, shining over my shoulder onto the display, it may even be WORSE: no way can I see anything with all the glare.

Color me disappointed.

At least it cost less than 20 bucks to experiment.

YMMV.

Just finished a ride through Washington Oregon Idaho Nevada and Utah. I had the sun behind me from the side and in front of me and I have to tell you I think it works great.

Wonder if the glare issue is a function of the unadjustable angle of the Nav5 on '14+ RTs. In any case, the NuShield is useless in my case.

I am very sure that you are spot on! I don't have any issues at all whatsoever, even with the sun low and directly behind me, and I have my Nav V set to just 80% brightness. I attributed my not having any visibility issues to the fact that my physical statue places me in the perfect position for viewing my Nav V in its mount! No, I don't use the NuShield or any extra shading at all. Don't need to! :)

Is there a hooded screen shield out there that will fit over the Nav 5 unit and it's mount. The BMW parts guy found one online that was a snap on / wrap around that looked as if it would work. Silly me, I left the webpage info behind when I picked up the new bike.

I need something. The direct sunlight makes the unit worthless on my RS. Anyone?

I may have answered my own question. Go to Amazon and look up the Glare Stomper Model 320 Sun Shade Visor. There are a couple of pics depicting the install on a bike or two.

I think it is used with the popular fish finder equipment.

And take a long look at your Nav 5 swivel mount that is secured by two star bolts. If you loosen those up you can rotate the screen to a more upright position and that can help out the glare issue by getting away from a flat screen effect......

• 1 month later...

I rode today for the first time in bright sun with the NuShield DayVue installed on my NAV V and I can honestly say that I'm very impressed. I think that it cuts the glare by up to 75%. I wear Hi Viz jackets, and one of my major problems was when the sun hit my jacket and reflected forward onto my GPS ( and dash gauges ). I still have the glare on the gauges, but no more on the GPS. For $13 this is a great improvement!! I have to check out whether they sell sheets of this stuff that I can cut for my gauges?

Doug

I may have answered my own question. Go to Amazon and look up the Glare Stomper Model 320 Sun Shade Visor. There are a couple of pics depicting the install on a bike or two.

I think it is used with the popular fish finder equipment.

And take a long look at your Nav 5 swivel mount that is secured by two star bolts. If you loosen those up you can rotate the screen to a more upright position and that can help out the glare issue by getting away from a flat screen effect......

I am actually using the old Glarestomper that I had for my Zumo 550 on my Nav 5,found the proper matching adhesive velcro like product at Walmart.

Works good!

JR356

MCN got a few letters in response to my article about this - http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcn-nushield.pdf - from guys claiming no difference, or claiming a very difficult installation. Could be that the height of the rider changes the angle at which he sees the screen, and thus affects how much the film helps him. As for difficult installation, "I just don't get it."

-MKL

I don't see how anyone could complain about a difficult installation? It literally took me less than 5 minutes. I'm 6'2" and my NAV V is mounted using a Wunderlich dash mount so my NAV V is mounted about as high as it can be mounted, which means it's right in the sun all the time.

Doug

Well, please write to MCN then. Editor Searle is sending me letters from people who are having major issues.

I don't understand it either. I ordered and paid for a set as a private citizen. Never spoke to anyone about an article or anything else, so I assume I got the same kit as anyone else would. And my 4 year old could put it on in 2 minutes.

These guys are not sure what side is sticky, then they're wrinkling the film and having to throw it away, etc. etc. It's really something I do not understand.

-MKL

Morning___

The way one GPS screen reacts to a screen filter film may be totally different than how a different screen type reacts.

There are different types of GPS screen operation & some do well with a screen film & others do MUCH worse. (if the GPS needs ambient light IN to make it work then a screen film can block some of that light entry needed for screen brightness back out to the user)

Even things such as touch screens can add an additional layer to the screen for the light to reflect from or though.

Different types of GPS screens---- (probably others but these are the majors)

Transmissive TFT – Uses backlighting to illuminate the display.

Reflective TFT – Uses sunlight) to illuminate the display.

Transflective TFT – Has a mirror like surface that allows backlight to pass through, yet also has the ability to reflect ambient light.

If a screen filter film works on YOUR GPS then all is great with the world. But, just because a screen filter works on XX brand/type GPS doesn't mean it will work that way on ALL GPS units.

Although I did not write in, I am one of the people who had difficulty installing the film on my GPS. I have a Garmin 665 and the film was supposed to be a drop on fit. Well either the screen on my Garmin is not square of the film was not cut square. I ended up throwing away the first piece after it got messed up after repeated attempts. I took the second piece into work and used a trimmer to take a mm off of each length. It does not cover the entire screen but does fit on the GPS now.

Dirtrider, noted. But most of the letters MCN got were like the post above, having more to do with installation issues than actual usage issues or functionality of the film once in place.

-MKL

Archived