IGNORED

Plug near rear aux power socket

Magpie

I have a 1996 R1100RT and there is an unused two wire plug near the rear aux socket. Green/white & Green/blue.

Can any one tell me what this are for or should be connected to, as I connected it to the aux socket(Bad mistake) and now it wont start but turns over. No spark or fuel. Please help me.

It connects to your fuel tank vent valve and is controlled by the main computer.

Not a good thing to be plugging random cables into random plugs. But you know that. Now.

I would check fuse #6 to start with, it provides power for this vent valve. It also powers your fuel pump, the injectors, the Oxygen sensor......

Hope this helps.

Stan

It wasnt connected to anything and the bike was running fine. There was nothing for it to connect to and the aux power socket was close and 'empty'so I connected it.Where should it go?

Hopefully you checked both sides of each fuse.

If it's not a fuse, it's possible you damaged the fuel pump relay. Counting from the right, it's relay number 4. That's one big relay then 3 small relays. I no longer have an R1100 so I can't check this but it may be the same type of relay as the horn relay number 3 just to the right of the fuel pump relay. If they have the same part number you can swap them to check them out.

Where does it go

It probably wasn't connected because someone in the past removed the charcoal canister that the US bikes originally had. The tank expansion valve connected the charcoal canister to the engine to purge any fuel vapors stored in it whenever the engine was running (hence the reason for using the fuel pump relay to power it). No charcoal canister, nothing to purge, valve not needed. Some wrenches leave it connected, some disconnect it.

If you have a charcoal canister then it does need to be connected.

Stan

Isn't there also a "loose" three pin connector that hangs out by the rear power port on the RT? My bike is not close at hand and I don't remember the color coding for the wiring, but I'd swear there was a loose connector back there...which of course I also can't remember the function of. I have disconnected my evap system, so maybe I'm just making this up :)

Morning Magpie

There is nothing in the aux socket that should cause fuse blowing or an issue (both aux plug pins are open & not connected to each other).

Make sure your side stand is in UP position.

dirtrider

I was thinking the same thing about the aux plug. One thing I didn't know for sure is if the plug is internally grounded. I don't think so. What probably happened is after hooking up the wires the OP plugged something into the plug to test it. Depending on the resistance of that something might be the reason for the current problem even though it is now removed.

Archived