BMW Factory Tank Bag

Milo172

I purchased the BMW tank bag for my 2014 RT. Aside from the fact that it is smaller than previous tank bags and rubs against the mat-finish paint work; the thing that really bothers me is that you cannot put a map in the transparent map pocket because it leaks like a sieve when it rains and the map turns to mush.

To those with the same tank bag, are you having the same experience or is my tank bag defective? And yes, I tried sealing it with tent seam sealer, did not work.

I purchased the BMW tank bag for my 2014 RT. Aside from the fact that it is smaller than previous tank bags and rubs against the mat-finish paint work; the thing that really bothers me is that you cannot put a map in the transparent map pocket because it leaks like a sieve when it rains and the map turns to mush.

To those with the same tank bag, are you having the same experience or is my tank bag defective? And yes, I tried sealing it with tent seam sealer, did not work.

Mine too leaks, I don't have the problem rubbing the paint. The transparent plastic is now yellowing who know how long it will last, not happy with the map pocket at all. My bike lives in my shop when not on a ride so it not out in the sun all the time...

Jay

The tank bag is a POS. You forgot to complain about the cheap, flimsy snaps that hold it in place, that WILL break soon because they're not suitable for the job. Horrible.

-MKL

That's a my thought to when I was looking for tank bag. Wound up with the wunderlich elephant bag and am very pleased with its performance and ease of use to fuel. Works well and seems it's going to last long time.

Those of you who have used other brands - let me know about them. I'm sure most owners will be disgusted with the factory bag. It's worth writing an article about other alternatives.

-MKL

RKA Shiloh 13L: http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/11SR3%20Build%20sheet/113W%20Build%20Sheet.html

Expandable, built-in electric pass-through from front or rear on left side, available metal box for the front 40% of the bag for electrical/electronics cord corralling. No RT handlebar interference (at least that I've noticed). Matches the curve of the tank well. I originally purchased it to use with a K16, now use it on my '15 RTW and '04 RT-P. Purchased a second set of straps to leave one set installed on each bike.

IMG_8277_zpsjqlwvlyw.jpg

I have got a Hepco&Becker "Street Enduro".

It has it's own "Lock It" system that attaches via a ring that is mounted on the tank opening with standoffs.

The bottom is molded and will not rub on the tank.

It has a quick release system that makes mounting and installing measured in seconds.

Haven't used it in earnest yet and hasn't seen rain. So maybe somebody has more time on them then me.

I also have a RKA Shiloh 13L on my 14RTW. It fits the bike perfectly (in my opinion), looks great (in my opinion) and works great for me too.

When getting gas, I just unclip the bottom, flip it forwards over the handlebars, then pull back down, clip back together and on my way. Holds a ton and is a quality made bag.

The 3 mounting straps don't bother me at all and feel the bag is very secure. Bottom of bag protects the bike very well. RKA is also a great company to work with - no affiliation, have just had positive interactions whenever I needed to speak with them.

Anyone else? I must say I'm partial to the "quick release" systems having been spoiled by the factory bag on my 2009 RT, which suspended the bag above the paint (so never a rubbing issue) and clipped on and off the bike in seconds. A genius design. I see this new bag as several hundred steps backward.

Anyone using the new Touratech bag?

-MKL

I got this bag from twisted throttle. It has the easy on easy off tank ring purchased separately. I think the clear map overlay was separate. I don't use it anyway but I do have the map overlay. The bag fits my bike great, looks great, easy on easy off, and it seems to be of very high quality. I really like it. I talked to them before I ordered and ask them to send me two sizes so I could check the look and fit before I made up my mind. They let me do that and gave full refund provided returned without damage and never installed.

It sits above the paint and after more than a year of using it, no paint issues and I would definitely buy it again.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-city-evo-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

BMW has never offered a tankbag with a waterproof map pocket

Most of the tank bags I've had including BMW have come with a rain bonnet. They work but I don't like the way they balloon up, some come with a strap you can hold them down with, still not good in my option.

I no long put maps in my BMW tank bag (on my 14R1200RT) I rely on the Nav V with maps in the tail bag when needed. The only good from that is no more head bobbing now I must stop to review a map, maybe that's safer...

Jay

+1 on the 2014 and up tank bag. Waterproofing system looks a lot better than the prior model. I had a Marsee tank bag on my 2008 RT and the so-called "rain cover" was a nightmare to use.

whitelightning99

I have a Givi tank loc bag. No touch, quick on and off, pass thru for power, but don't much care for the left turn audible indicator. Has an interior "sack" closure that's supposedly waterproof, but never really tested it.

I had the BMW bag on my 2008 RT and really liked it. I was so disappointed with the 2014/15 one that they brought out with its silly attachment method that I did not get it. Now it seems that it has a leaky map case what a step backwards! The previous mounting system seemed so good, why on earth did they abandon it??

So I guess when I next need to use a tank bag I will just get the Bagster harness for my old tank bag (lucky I keep buying the same colour bikes!).

Here's a picture of my RTW tank bag, the Bags Connection Evo Tank Lock bag from Sierra BMW. Like some of the other bags, it's molded to fit the contour of the gas tank and also has an expansion zipper. It does not interfere with the handlebars and has substantial capacity. It's not waterproof, but does come with a waterproof cover. I'm very pleased with it.

6512.jpg.552bd8a0d755b82079ae4a8dd433e4f6.jpg

Effjay...I'm new to the forum. How did you put your image in the body of your message? I see mine didn't show up on my previous post. Thanks!

Effjay...I'm new to the forum. How did you put your image in the body of your message? I see mine didn't show up on my previous post. Thanks!

Sending PM with BMWST tutorial link so as not to go off-topic...

I actually really like my BMW tank bag on the '14 RT. Like the built in dry bag on the interior, could care less about map pocket.

Me too

I have a stock BMW tank bag on my 14 and after 22,769 miles and many rain storms I have never had the problem you have experienced. The only problem I had is with condensate forming when going from one type of weather to another. If going from warm and humid to a higher elevation where it's cooler condensate will form inside the map compartment . I would have to guess that you have a defective bag.

Archived