IGNORED

Gas Milage for New BMW R1200RT Liquid Cooled

Rogerl

I currently have a 2008 BMW R1200R and I am thinking about upgrading to the new BMW R1200RT with the liquid cooled engine. I have heard GREAT things about this bike. I currently use my R1200R mostly to commute back and forth to work. I drive 30 miles each way mostly freeway. The R1200R gets around 48 to 50 MPG for the commute.

What gas mileage are you guys getting with the new R1200RT's? A friend of mine has a 2010 R1200RT and he gets a consistent 52 MPG.

Thanks

Roger L

I've only got 2500 miles on my 2015 R1200RT, but it seems to be in the 48-52 mpg range. This number is derived from actual fuel amounts and miles driven, not the bike's computation.

... This number is derived from actual fuel amounts and miles driven, not the bike's computation.

How does your figure compare with the bike's computer?

I commute about 80 miles a day and am getting ~45mpg. Now that is on 70 mph highways which means I am usually doing 80-85 mph so I am sure that hurts the mileage some. I have about 11,000 miles on mine. One place to look for mileage numbers is on fuelly.com and there is about 20 2014 and 2015s showing 47-48 mpg.

Alan

My commute consists of 54 miles each way, of which about 48 of those miles are high speed highway riding, with the balance in town.

I am getting 49 with the new RT. On my same commute with my former 2009 RT, I was averaging 43. On my same commute with my former 2004 RT, I was averaging 39. On my same commute with my soon-to-depart Harley FLD, I was averaging 27. Ahhhh, progress.......

-MKL

Too many variables to compare gas mileage. The LC RT will get better mileage then the 08 RT, in my option 1-4 sMiles per gallon.

Please report back should you buy an LC RT.

Jay

The actual mpg one gets depends a lot on one's riding style. I can tell you that my '15 RT gets better mpg than my previous '07 RT. Right now, I am averaging about 46 mpg, but I also want to note that the engine of my '15 RT must have been quite tight at the beginning because I had gotten mpg in the mid 30s for the first couple of tankful, and the number had been improving as the miles gets racked up. Best number was 50.5 mpg, and the last ten tankful have been ranging in the high 40s. My mpg numbers are calculated from actual amount of fuel pumped into the tank along with the odometer reading at the time of the fill up.

Just finished a 3500 trip. Freeway and lots of go fast twistys. Averaged 48 mph for the trip. Bike has about 5500 miles on it now.

GT

Thank you all for your replies. I just wanted to verify that the new bike was not going to get worse mileage than my current bike does.

I am still thinking about what I want to do. I have not taken a test ride yet because it might get me in trouble. If I do take a test ride I will leave the check book at home.

Thanks Again

Roger L

Thank you all for your replies. I just wanted to verify that the new bike was not going to get worse mileage than my current bike does.

I am still thinking about what I want to do. I have not taken a test ride yet because it might get me in trouble. If I do take a test ride I will leave the check book at home.

Thanks Again

Roger L

If you do that then you will just have to go back home to get the check book.

Alan

My friend has a 2013 R1200R he keeps in my garage, so I sometimes ride the new RT and the older R back to back. My advice?

Leave your checkbook at home. Resistance is futile.

-MKL

Resistance is futile.

I recently found out how true this is, darn it. I had the opportunity to ride the LC RT last week and that's all she wrote. I'm going to squeeze a year out of my RT, but the new one is a vastly superior ride by a long shot. Darn it again.

19K miles and averaging around 47 since late October of last year. Right around 50 now when it's hot. Sweet spot on the slab is around 65, I get low-mid 50's if I can hold it back. But I avoid the slab unless I have a schedule to keep and little time to do it. I have years of data on bikes and cars that tell me to expect mid-low 40's in the winter when the temperature drops.

Just completed a 3,000 mi trip and averaged 52. I ride 60-70 mph. A few mph +/- makes a big difference pushing that barn door windshield.

IndianaHarvey

With just 611 miles on my 2015 R1200RT I'm getting 56 mpg doing mostly 55 mph on two lane roads. After the frist service today I'll open it up a bit more and except that mileage to drop. It seems to be getting gas mileage than the 05 RT that I traded in. The 05 got about 49 to 51 mpg.

My 2014 Corn Popper is easily achieving 50-51 (calculated not indicated) in mostly highway riding (65-70mph), even with a few romps thrown in now and then.

Very pleased in this regard.

I'm still put-off by the unrefined mechanical noises of the engine, (and the transmission) but you can't have it all I guess.

d'milan

I'm still put-off by the unrefined mechanical noises of the engine, (and the transmission) but you can't have it all I guess.

Come and ride a V Strom. Or the Super Tenere. What noise? :grin:

My Wethead does have some mechanical engine noises. I am about to do the valves, don't expect them to need anything. So, if all is well there, I will just tune out any day to day noises. Transmission shifts better than my other RT, very much like the feel and action of the wet clutch. My only cringe while riding is going to first after sitting in nuetral. I just bang it in, get it over with!

I am getting 45 mpg around here. Which is 4 better than the old RT. I have gotten 50 on trips in the mountains. I am anxious to see my mileage at 75+ on the next trip after the 12k service and different windshield.

Long time lurker, just bought a "lightly" used 2015 RT from Sturgis BMW on Friday. It had 5800 miles on the clock.

I ran the RT at 70mph with cruise on my way back to Bismarck. First tank I got 59mpg, computer indicated, to Bowman ND. Forgot to hand calculate that one.

Second leg from Bowman ND to Bismarck ND, cruise again, but combined 70mph stretch and 75 on the Interstate, I dropped to 51mpg computer and hand calculated amount agreed.

Coming from a 1998 Honda Aero 1100 that got 38mpg and a 4.2 gallon tank, I'm thrilled with the mileage.

A Volkswagen Golf or Beetle diesel will get better fuel mileage than any bike mentioned. And diesel is now again cheaper than gasoline, especially the premium required for these bikes. And, you could stop on the way home and pick up a 2 by 4.

I know that's silly, but so, I think is concern about fuel mileage of motorcycles.

PS: Have a friend with 310,000 miles on his Golf Diesel. Got a new clutch at 300K. Gets in 50s on his commute. He's the king of short shifting and never gets through an intersection before shifting. Diesel torque.

A Volkswagen Golf or Beetle diesel will get better fuel mileage than any bike mentioned. And diesel is now again cheaper than gasoline, especially the premium required for these bikes. And, you could stop on the way home and pick up a 2 by 4.

I know that's silly, but so, I think is concern about fuel mileage of motorcycles.

PS: Have a friend with 310,000 miles on his Golf Diesel. Got a new clutch at 300K. Gets in 50s on his commute. He's the king of short shifting and never gets through an intersection before shifting. Diesel torque.

And no expensive seat required :D

Jay

Well, speaking for myself, I think anyone that rides a bike to work to save money over a car is.......well let me say uninformed about true economy.

I will also say that I get a good feeling when a well designed machine with the performance these bikes provide returns 50 mpg!

But the main reason I care about fuel mileage is Range per tank. Period. I hated having to stop every 140 miles on my DL 1000, my DL 650 only goes about 180 at high speed cruise. My new RT has gone 300 miles and I frequently get 250-275 miles per tank.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many factors determining MPG . I ride year round . In the winter @ 20-35 deg. at 70mph I average 42 mpg , in warmer weather 40-80 deg. it's 46-48 mpg at 80mph.However when riding at 60 mph or below I have gotten as high as 58 mpg. so like I said there are many determining factors, how you ride , your speed ,temperature , elevation , brand of gas etc.. but I'd say a good all around average for me on a trip is around 47 mpg.

• 2 months later...

Archived