Route 250, West Virginia?

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

Heading down to Elkins, WVA in a couple of weeks. Haven't been down there since 2012, and looking forward to tearing up Routes 33 and 250 again (all-time favs!)

I heard somewhere that 250 is a mess with pot holes, bad patches and gravel most everywhere. Has anyone been there lately to confirm?

I went down to Durbin early this year and I don't remember anything particularly "bad". But that is an old section of road.

If you have time consider riding 33 over to Buckhannon. My home town! Take RT20 south toward Rock Cave. At Rock Cave 20 goes left, 4 to the right. Stay on 20 Toward Webster Springs. That section of 20 to Webster Springs has some really nice sections, very low traffic. There is one stop light in Webster Springs. Right is rt20 and if you have time go up the hill out of Webster Springs and take the two most awesome switchback curves! Rt 15 is straight through the light. You simply MUST stop at the Custard Stand! Best Hot Dog chili in the United States! Then follow rt 15 toward rt 219. There you can go left, north, back toward rt 250.

Or, instead of taking 15, consider taking 20 south toward Cowen. Just as you get into the Cowen area there is a road on the left called Williams river road, or Dyer road, or Upper Dyer Road. There is a second entrance just past Leslie Brothers equipment. Turn in where the convenience store is. Once you get started up Williams river it is very scenic. The park area is now all paved and you can ride that to the Mountain Scenic Highway ( rt 150 ) where you can go toward Mill Point ( south ) or back toward the Edray/rt219 area (north). If you go toward Mill Point and ride 219 back north you can get refreshments in Marlinton and 219 north of there is really nice.

The Rocketman

All excellent choices. Thanks for the advice. Only thing I would add is heading North to Seneca Rocks, so I could then head west back towards Elkins via 33. All in all, about 6 hrs and under 250 miles. Just what I was looking for!

Archived