IGNORED

Learn BaseCamp

Mike

I am pretty comfortable with anything on a computer. Downloaded the information above and went to read through it. Always thought it would be nice to make a route on the computer then download it to the gps, like when wanting to take a back road instead of main highways.

Better just stick to a slate and charcoal to write down turns...... :dopeslap:

I've finally become comfortable with Basecamp, making routes and downloading them to 'PocketEarth' on my phone, which I use for my GPS device, for turn by turn guidance as required. Mspd for Basecamp are free from the Openstreetmap project as are detailed maps on the app.

Holy cartography Batman! Now I know how to occupy my time during the long drive to Boston next week (dropping Daughter and my net worth off at college).

At least I'll bring back some new skillz, albeit less brain cells after working through this. My printer now hates me, but this thing seems to be pretty darned thorough.

Thanks, I think.

Morning bwpsg42

OSM works good in some areas & not so good in others. In some of the areas that I ride OSM is lacking in detail or downright wrong.

OSM kind of depends on people inputting corrections & in some areas that input is good, constructive, & prompt in others there is not much input coming back so it is behind the curve so to speak.

One thing I do like about OSM is it allows me make actual routes in places that there are no routable roads. (this works good when some riders in a group have GPS's that can't handle off-road tracks). It also allows using routing off-road so the turns & other important (re hazards) can be flashed on the screen including the distance-to.

Joe Frickin' Friday

After the Un, I told myself I would switch over to Basecamp and learn how to use it before FART. Pretty sure that's not going to happen at this point, so I guess it'll be a wintertime pursuit...:lurk:

I dislike base camp. Mapsource works so well and is almost intuitive. Creating routes on the computer and downloading to an older Nuvi is easy. Every time I try the same in base camp it is a worthless effort after 30 or more minutes. A class where we could sit down with our computers, GPS, and an instructor would be ideal.

I dislike base camp. Mapsource works so well and is almost intuitive. Creating routes on the computer and downloading to an older Nuvi is easy. Every time I try the same in base camp it is a worthless effort after 30 or more minutes. A class where we could sit down with our computers, GPS, and an instructor would be ideal.

Evening Upfisk

Too bad you are so far out west. I occasionally do a GPS/BaseCamp class for my riding club & new GPS users that care to show up & put up with my arm waving.

Mapsource works so well-- Unfortunately Map Source doesn't work that well with the newer Garmin Map sets, especially if complex routes are made on newer mapping updates. The more complex the route the more chance of routing glitches. Map Source doesn't handle routing time stamp discrepancies worth a darn.

Garmin hasn't supported Map Source in a l-o-n-g time now so their newer mapping isn't tested to work with Map Source (& it shows rather blatantly on some routes)

I only have a Garmin 60-series, handheld. I use it on all my motorcycles - but mostly for the dirt bike, where I often get tracks to follow (not routes).

I learned BaseCamp by first just tracking and downloading where I went. After I saw how BaseCamp showed where I had been, it was easier to create routes and tracks to load into the GPS and follow them.

It's wasn't easy at first, but like anything, it's easier once you get used to it.

Creating routes works sort of like Google Maps. Once you create your start and end point, you can drag your route onto whatever roads you want - then you get turn-by-turn directions.

Archived