IGNORED

Considering Servoectomy

Will46r

I recently did a servoectomy on my 04 RT with 160K miles. The only reason that I did it was because the servo completely died. It wouldn't even go through the self diagnostic at startup and refused to communicate with my GS911. I really liked the servo assisted brakes and wish I still had them. I couldn't see paying the price for a new servo and the used servo's that I have seen are priced to high for not getting any kind of warranty that they will even work.

The brakes without the servo are plenty strong. I now worry more about locking up the wheels then I use to.

If you do do a servoectomy let me know what you want for your servo.

Any reason why I shouldn't do a servoectomy on my R1150rt with 120k other than losing ABS?

That's a pretty good other. I would probably scrap the system too, if it failed, given the price of a new one. But... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" might apply here.

Ask yourself what the value of the bike will be if you try to sell it without an ABS.

Ummmmm you don't even want to know how little I paid for this bike...... :rofl::dopeslap::rofl:

Ask yourself what the value of the bike will be if you try to sell it without an ABS.

This is good advice. I did a servo removal on my '04RT when it only had about 35K miles. Now with 47K miles i am interested in a new RT and no dealer will touch my '04 on a trade. My only option is to sell myself IF i even can. It's a good thing for me I still like my '04.

However, if your servo fails in the same way that mine did, you might not even have a bike let a lone sell it, as you may not be around to do so.

Will46r is it working ok at the moment? If so, leave it on and look after it. If it has failed, my advice is take it off. The bike is great without it.

If anyone needs a walkthrough for taking it off, PM me with your email and I will send it to you.

Morning Will

No reason that I can think of-- Unless you are the type of rider that relies on the ABS system to save your butt every time you ride.

If you have ridden that bike for a few years & never had the ABS engage except to play with it then you won't even miss it.

Actually the braking modulation on the 1150Rt is better without the ABS controller servo pumps in the system so you will probably like the brake system better without the brake controller on the bike.

On the other hand, if the ABS system has saved your butt a few times in the past then you might think twice about removing the ABS system.

As far as resale goes-- on a bike with well over 100K on it I doubt the ABS system being there will make any difference on resale to a private party (I know personably I would buy a non ABS 120K bike before a like high mileage bike with ABS)

Removing the ABS WILL more than likely hinder your ability to trade that bike in to a BMW dealer but even with the ABS intact I doubt a BMW dealer would offer much in trade for a 120K+ bike.

If your present servo/ABS system is working then you might actually be better off taking it off now before it quits as THEN you could put a functional ABS system back on if you would ever trade the bike into a dealer. (once it quits you are SOL either way)

The only real answer for you is-- that YOU need to make the decision on (IF) you can live without a functional ABS brake system on your motorcycle.

Had my 02 R1150RT in the shop last week for a few minor things. I told the service advisor that I was about ready to do a servoectomy and just waiting on a few parts to come in. To my surprise he said "why don't you let us do it?". My reply was " I didn't think you could due to the liablility". His reply was "we can't get the servos and BMW tells us we can take them out". I asked him how much they would charge and he told me to give him a list of what parts I already had to do the job and he would go from there. I haven't been back in to give him the list. Just imagine I will do it myself. Just find it interesting that they were willing to do the servoectomy, even though mine hasn't caused any problems so far.

Thanks guys. I've never ridden an ABS bike, the servo appears to function but am afraid of a catastrophic failure due to age and unknown condition.

Thanks guys. I've never ridden an ABS bike, the servo appears to function but am afraid of a catastrophic failure due to age and unknown condition.

Will,

Find a nice deserted road somewhere. Get it up to 60mph, neutral, key off. Then, get a feel for the residual brakes if the servo goes south. I suggest everyone with that system give it a try, a few times.

Will,

Find a nice deserted road somewhere. Get it up to 60mph, neutral, key off. Then, get a feel for the residual brakes if the servo goes south. I suggest everyone with that system give it a try, a few times.

Mine failed not long after I returned to the city after a spirited ride in the mountains and I managed to "limp" home using gear selection. I can't imagine what the experience would have been like had my ABS system failed whilst doing some serious twisties. :eek:

I can't imagine what the experience would have been like had my ABS system failed whilst doing some serious twisties. :eek:

grieffster, when you know it ain't working it is fine, you can compensate for the lack of braking. However, when it lets go when you are not expecting it, it is more frightening than you would believe.

Will46r, I personally wouldn't remove it for the sake of it if you have a reliable working system.

I would however fit new brake hoses if they are still original, I'd also replace the fluid in the control and braking circuits.

grieffster, when you know it ain't working it is fine, you can compensate for the lack of braking. However, when it lets go when you are not expecting it, it is more frightening than you would believe.

No question. It's difficult to prepare for the unexpected. But, why not at least have an idea what "residual" braking actually means?

No question. It's difficult to prepare for the unexpected. But, why not at least have an idea what "residual" braking actually means?

Yep, fair point and can't argue with that. :-)

Archived