IGNORED

2005 ESA Preload Adjustment Problem fixed

John Bentall

John Bentall

I had a problem where the ESA preload adjustment on my 2005 would not operate reliably.

My independent mechanic was prepared to strip down the motor and un-seize the adjustment mechanism - as this had positive results with other customers' machines. This fix will work where the problem is either wear or corrosion.

However my problem could be fixed temporarily by the dealer recalibrating the ESA to reset the upper and lower limit points on the stroke of the piston rod of the strut. This fix would work once or twice and then revert to being FUBAR.

I eventually talked to a knowledgeable BMW UK employee and we found a permanent fix by using a software update to the chassis Control Units.

When my RT left the factory in 2005 its overall chassis software level was K024-05-02-510 and the last update it received during a dealer service was K024-09-08-500. Since then, the factory software has been updated to reset and reduce the upper and lower limits of the stroke of the strut to try to stop the problem.

On 23rd December 2014, my machine went to the dealer and the software was updated to K24-14-08-500. This included Reprogramming the ZFE; Encodings for the control units ZFE, ABS, RBT and KOMBI, and Initialisations for the ESA calibration, rear, and the windscreen. BMW UK logged into the software session, checked the revised limit points & that everything had successfully completed.

I no longer have the preload adjustment problem at the present time.

Hope this helps someone.

John Bentall

Well, writing about the solution this morning put the jinx on it. Not working this afternoon, so it's back to square one.

Thanks for your patience in reading this far :S

Morning John

You might try revving the engine slightly when cycling the rear shock. Sometimes the little extra alternator output will help overcome a slightly sticky rear adjuster.

Archived