IGNORED

Throttle balance port plugs ?

Froggy

Throttle balance port plugs ? What and where are these? I am trying to correct a terrible surging at all speeds and a hunting idle. I saw this term in one of the threads.

Thanks all...

Morning Froggy

Those are vacuum plugs that go on the bottom nipples of your throttle bodies (IF) you (or someone) has removed the Evap system (evap can) from your bike.

Those are not your surge issue at above idle speeds.

Thanks dirtrider, in fact I have been looking at a threat that you helped quite often in June for Indy. Turns out major part of his surging was caused by 02 sensor...among other things.

Sheeze, first the input splines and now this with less than 34,000 miles. Did I screw up some connector, who knows.

The hunting idle is weird - at least I've never encountered that. Anyone else ever have that? (DR to the courtesy phone....)

Otherwise I'd start with a valve clearance checks (especially intakes), carefully clean the throttle bodies including all internal porting, measure the throttle position sensor wiper terminal voltage (should be somewhere around 370 milli-volts) & report what you find.

Others should then be responding.

The hunting idle is weird - at least I've never encountered that. Anyone else ever have that? (DR to the courtesy phone....)

Afternoon NRP

Yes, I have seen a couple of 1150's with what could be considered an unstable idle or even close to a hunting idle.

One had a very erratic o2 sensor & the other was a 2004 (twin spark) that had the o2 sensor pig tail running along, & close to, the R/H lower spark plug wire & the spark RFI crosstalk into the o2 wiring was driving the fueling crazy (there is actually a BMW service bulletin on this issue)

Otherwise I'd start with a valve clearance checks (especially intakes), carefully clean the throttle bodies including all internal porting, measure the throttle position sensor wiper terminal voltage (should be somewhere around 370 milli-volts) & report what you find.

Others should then be responding.

Did the valves in August at 31000 miles, there's only 34000 on her now. New plug wires and routed away from everything. T-bodies were clean but I cleaned them again.

Afternoon NRP

Yes, I have seen a couple of 1150's with what could be considered an unstable idle or even close to a hunting idle.

One had a very erratic o2 sensor & the other was a 2004 (twin spark) that had the o2 sensor pig tail running along, & close to, the R/H lower spark plug wire & the spark RFI crosstalk into the o2 wiring was driving the fueling crazy (there is actually a BMW service bulletin on this issue)

Only 34000 on odo, could 02 sensor really be bad. Im used to these lasting over 100 thou on cars.

Only 34000 on odo, could 02 sensor really be bad. Im used to these lasting over 100 thou on cars.

Afternoon Froggy

Sure, it could even be bad at 100 miles-- It only takes little silicone into the intakes or in the fuel to poison the o2 sensor.

Or the o2 wire pigtail hanging down & burning on the exhaust system.

Or moisture in the o2 connector.

Or an oil burning engine & the wrong engine oil.

If in doubt just unplug the o2 sensor & ride the bike a couple of days.

Have you re-set the TPS learn lately? If not then try that next.

Afternoon Froggy

Sure, it could even be bad at 100 miles-- It only takes little silicone into the intakes or in the fuel to poison the o2 sensor.

Or the o2 wire pigtail hanging down & burning on the exhaust system.

Or moisture in the o2 connector.

Or an oil burning engine & the wrong engine oil.

Have you re-set the TPS learn lately? If not then try that next.

Unplugged 5 fuse for 10 min. And did ign.on throttle twice. Guess I'm taking the tank off again to unplug 02. And I just topped off the tank too.

Does this put the bike in "limp home mode" or what does it do? Rich mixture?

Afternoon FireKit

I have no idea what "limp mode" is (I haven't ever seen a BMW limp) but disconnecting the o2 sensor puts the fueling computer into open loop operation so it then fuels to the pre-programmed fuel mapping & various engine sensor inputs rather than to the o2 sensor input.

With no o2 sensor input the 1150 runs pretty decent on non-alcohol fuel & runs a little worse on 10% alcohol fuel.

Wh e n I unplug the 02 sensor, what am I looking for ? If it still runs like crap its not the 02, if it runs much better it is the 02 ?

When I unplug the 02 do I remove #5 fuse to reset motronic?

Evening Froggy

When I unplug the 02 sensor, what am I looking for---

If it still runs like crap its not the 02--Basically YES

If it runs much better it is the 02-- Again, basically YES

When I unplug the 02 do I remove #5 fuse to reset motronic?-- Yes remove fuse 5 for a good 15 minutes, then after fuse reinstall do a new TPS relearn.

Ok, have not had much riding until last Sunday and was able to take 125 mile ride on nothing but twisties to empty or lighten tank so I can remove to get to 02. I think part of my problem wad bad gas. With new fuel bike did not shake near as bad and was able to idle without fast idle on. Don't get me wrong, there is still a problem, or problems. It stalled on me once when disengaging clutch when slowing down at 30 mph for a truck turning, and it still rattles the trans at times.

On another note I read a thread here that stated when the pink or any colored ccp is removed the motronic goes into open loop and will not take signals from 02,is that true? I checked and my pink ccp was not connected and was laying inside the fuse box unused. I also have an ice air spoofer hooked up to the air box, is the motronic also not reading the air box sensor with ccp disconnected?

I desided last night to install ccp and see how it ran. Pull fuse, wait 30min.install and reset tps. Worst surging ever...felt like engine could not decide if it wanted to use one cylinder or both. My body was swaying forwards and backwards from the drastic changes in engine power. I even locked the throttle at 2000 and then at 4000rpms to make sure my wrist pressure was not causing this. It still did it.

I also rechecked the BBS and the right side was 2.5 turns, left was 2.25 turns, this seems excessive.

On another note I read a thread here that stated when the pink or any colored ccp is removed the motronic goes into open loop and will not take signals from 02,is that true? I checked and my pink ccp was not connected and was laying inside the fuse box unused. I also have an ice air spoofer hooked up to the air box, is the motronic also not reading the air box sensor with ccp disconnected?

Morning Froggy

Watch what you read about the BMW 1100/1150 bike's Motronic systems.

On the 1100 (Ma2.2 system) removing the CCP disables the o2 sensor use.

But NOT on your 1150 bike with a Ma2.4 system)--on the 1150 (Ma 2.4) removing the CCP

does not disable the o2 sensor or disable the air box intake air temp sensor.

Bottom line-- remove that darn ICE air temp spoofer, reinstall the pink CCP, & get the engine to run correctly that way.

Then once it is running LIKE IT SHOULD you can play with removing the CCP or adding an intake air temp spoofer to see how little doing that actually improves anything.

I also rechecked the BBS and the right side was 2.5 turns, left was 2.25 turns, this seems excessive. -- Not really, that is pretty even & not way out of place. Get the engine running correctly THEN worry about the BBS position.

Thank you dirtrider. I will recheck my valves this weekend and also remove spoofer. I will temporarily leave the pink ccp in.

I will also take your advice and start a new thread under Rough running woes... maybe :rofl:

• 4 months later...

Hhhm :S, not sure what post that was but it's about the time I bought the bike. Turns out previous owner never did any work to it. Me coming from Japanese bikes 10 years prior this BMW to me ran like crap. Turns out I was unaccustomed to having to do so much work on a bike to have it idle and run smoothly. Did not realized Germans thought it cathartic to continuously work on their bikes. So the mild surging and rough idle made me think I purchased a lemon. Turns out they're all lemons :rofl:

To give everyone a heads up, this thread continued under rough running woes. Then that got too long and is cont.under "Huck a Bucking or Rough Running woes reloaded".

Archived