IGNORED

Brake Failure Light on 2013 R1200RT

Mike05

Changed tires on a 2013 R1200RT today.

Took the bike around the block & "Brake Failure" flashing light came on & is staying on.

Rechecked everything; can't find an obvious cause.

Does the 2013/Camheads call for an automatic fault code reset?

Any suggestions welcome!

Afternoon Mike

Check the wheel speed sensor wires for rotor contact & check the ft brake rotors for bent teeth on the tone ring.

Especially look for the front speed sensor wires rubbing on the L/H brake rotor.

If problem right after a tire change then usually a stretched speed sensor wire, or bent tone ring tooth.

Or a damaged front speed sensor if the wheel tone ring or brake rotor slammed into it upon front wheel removal.

I do hope it is something as simple as DR suggests

In my case I was a bit too enthusiastic in opening up the the pads when refitting the front caliper and have apparently damaged the ABS modulator with fluid backpressure. A piece of black tape now conceals the brake failure warning text while I save up the pennies to have the pump reconditioned (brakes work just fine otherwise)

Dirtrider nailed it, as usual. :thumbsup:

Speed sensor "pinched" between fork & brake housing, removed/reinstalled & all is right with the world.

Interestingly enough the sensor wire was "clipped" inside the fork. I looked at an older 2005 RT & the wire was run outside the fork & zip-tied to keep it from flapping around. So that's what I did here & everything now works properly.

Thanks as always,

Mike

Archived