IGNORED

2010 K1300GT VS 2014 R1200RT

Francis

I'm bikeless now and looking to get back in the saddle. I had a K1300GT in the past and really liked the power and the ride. The wet RT seems to have a lot of power and improved weather protections and rider amenities. Each bike has a multi-plate wet clutch which is very appealing to me.

The price spread on the two bikes over the winter will seem to be around $6K-7K plus taxes etc.

Has anyone had the experience of owning each bike and can he share the differences between the two?

Thanks

I didn't have the K13GT but did ride a K16GT for a few seasons before making the switch to a 2014 RT-LC. Plain and simply, the RT is an easier bike to ride. But weight there's more. :grin:

The smooth rush of power and torque out of that six cylinder motor was intoxicating but the weight penalty over the RT was rather harsh. I assume the 13GT would be similar. The overall performance difference of both bikes meaning (throttle to the stops) was minimal. Ride them both if you have the chance and then decide! :thumbsup:

Pat

Pat,

WRT weight;

GT road/wet weight is 635 pounds with a load capacity of 512 pounds

RT road/wet weight is 629 pounds with a load capacity of 464 pounds

GT a clear winner, IMO, wrt weight issues.

Of course there are other factors, but that model GT has a huge tank and range also.

YMMV

I don't own either, but, could anyone speak to the cost of maintenance between the two? From what I understand the new WC RT's are much more reasonable as it relates to maintenance than the prior year RT's.

no taking apart the bike to lube splines. drain and fill. 10 minutes instead of hours. My 1150 was a major take apart to lube splines. I did my WC RT in minutes last fall. My first value check at 13000, was no adjustments. I know 12000 was suggested but I was 1000 miles from home.

All in all making it sound a lot more like a K, finally...

:grin:

My old brick, 84k, 1 valve adjust, more cuz we wanted to then anything.

Just look up recommended maintenance schedules.

Best wishes.

John Bentall

Over here in Europe, the factory weight of the LC includes saddlebags because they are standard. The weight measurement standard for Europe changed for 2014, causing an apparent weight increase for the LC over the oil-cooled boxers.

Everyone should check that they are comparing like for like when dealing with weights.

John,

I used same source that described bikes as "wet" on the road.

AFAIK that would have them same trim wrt bags.

Best.

John Bentall

Hi Tim,

Therein lies the problem. It is only in the tiniest of the small print on some websites (in fact only the German one in my experience) that state explicitly whether saddlebags are included or not.

The wet weight of the RT went from 259kg to 274kg for the LC - some of that was the saddlebags.

Which is still apples to apples when both bikes have bags and are weighed in road trim.

Not a big deal, just trying to provide info for OP.

Best wishes.

• 5 weeks later...

I have owned a K12-RS and an 1150RT. The K engine was silky smooth, wc, and had real cruise control. The bike also ran way up in the temp zone all the time and sitting at a light for just a couple of minutes would kick the fan on. There was a slight lean into the bars so arms got a bit tired.

The RT boxer engine creates more vibration felt throughout the bike. It also keeps the weight nice and low and is more fun through the twisty bits. You sit upright with no weight on the arms.

Both bikes are meant for all day in the saddle riding and have more pluses than minuses. The 2014 is getting rave reviews from everywhere. Even the sport bike mags love it. You really can't go wrong but if you can't make up your mind buy both!!

I have owned a K12-RS and an 1150RT. The K engine was silky smooth, wc, and had real cruise control. The bike also ran way up in the temp zone all the time and sitting at a light for just a couple of minutes would kick the fan on. There was a slight lean into the bars so arms got a bit tired.

The RT boxer engine creates more vibration felt throughout the bike. It also keeps the weight nice and low and is more fun through the twisty bits. You sit upright with no weight on the arms.

Both bikes are meant for all day in the saddle riding and have more pluses than minuses. The 2014 is getting rave reviews from everywhere. Even the sport bike mags love it. You really can't go wrong but if you can't make up your mind buy both!!

How do you like the F6B? It's a shame they don't have ABS on it. I think they finally added cruise control.

I've got a wedge GT and a hexhead RT- the GT would make a good anchor and I'd sell it to anyone who wants it.

The GT rides like a brick by comparison to the RT and handles worse and frankly I'm not nearly as impressed by the wedge motor as I am by the prior generation brick motor (the one of those I ride is an RS with a RhineWest chip and Ohlins- it has by far the nicest motor of any of our 6 BMWs- torque all over, smooth as glass, adequate punch).

There is a lot more to a decent bike than hp..

If the C14 has rational ergos and cruise, I might have gone that way. I find it odd how the Japanese makers slice and dice options that leave prospective customers wanting. No cruise or ABS on the F6B. The C14 doesn't have cruise, neither does the ST. Insofar as ABS goes, it's standard on some models in foreign countries like in England, Canada and Australia, so what's the big deal? I don't think you can find a new car without ABS anymore. At least with BMW, there are choices and they come fully outfitted while not long in tooth. Want ABS on a GW? They list for 28K with ABS. At that price, a K bike makes sense.

Archived