IGNORED

New to Board and 1st Problem on '04 R1150RT-P

RonG

Hi

Just bought this bike. It has 77k miles. Rode it home 120 miles and it ran and started great. I left it on the side stand over night and she wouldn't start. On the center stand now. The starter solenoid is a known problem, sometimes kicks out and won't engage. Been that way awhile. Anyway, she sometimes tries to start but holds a low rpm for a few seconds under slight throttle. The choke doesn't seem to do anything. It worked fine when the person I bought the bike from started it. That might be the place to start. I've order a starter and have new plugs to put in. On travel this week, but will tinker next weekend. Looking for some things to possibly look at

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron, welcome to the forum. I have a few more questions regarding your no start condition. So, she turns over, consistently?

If she does turn over, she runs for a few minutes when you hold the rpms low, and then dies?

If you give it more throttle, she dies immediately?

Can you try pulling the choke up while turning her over?

Or she doesn't even turn over at all, ie. starter clicks, or doesn't even make a noise. (hence, you buying a new starter??)

thanks!

When she fires up it's only for a few seconds and then dies.

Yes, more throttle and she dies immediately.

I will try to pull up the choke when turning over on Friday when I get back home. I tried starting with the choke in several positions but the best results were with it off

She turns over. It's just that some times the solenoid kicks out or doesn't even engage to start with

Thanks for working with me on this problem. I appreciate the help

Ron

I will try to pull up the choke when turning over on Friday when I get back home. I tried starting with the choke in several positions but the best results were with it off

Afternoon Ron

Do realize that your CHOKE is just in name only, it is NOT a real choke as ALL it does is raise the fast idle (choke on is same as holding the throttle open a little, nothing more)

The starter needs a good cleaning to begin with. Cant try to start if it wont engage.

Is the starter repairable, with a cleaner? Tell me more

Okay. Replaced starter, cranks over fine now. Replace plugs. Bottom ones were pretty dark. But made no difference. Still doesn't want to start and eventually rough idles for a couple of seconds. Added a couple more gallons of gas, no difference. Popped the air cleaner cover and squirted some carb cleaner. She fired up over 1,000 rpm, then died out. I have a fuel problem. Previous owner replaced fuel pump, lines and filter, but didn't ride it much. What would be a good next step?

I do hear the pump come on for a few seconds when the key is turned on. And there a dribble in the the tank for those few seconds.

Thanks

RonG

Evening Ron

Next step is to do a fuel return flow test.

Open up fuel return line between fuel pressure regulator & fuel tank then hook a hose to the end coming form the fuel pressure regulator.

Now power up the fuel pump & see how much fuel return flow you have. If NO fuel return flow then you have either an in-tank pump problem, or a ruptured or disconnected pressure hose inside the fuel tank.

Problem is usually a ruptured "U" shaped hose inside the tank (common issue)

The U shaped hose is inside the tank. You'll probably need to remove the tank. I just replaced my fuel pump assembly, that's the only reason I know anything about that part.

you can either go with the factory u hose, or do what I did and use some steel brake line, which is the same diameter as fuel line, and bend that into a 180 turn. you may also consider moving the filter outside the tank or just reattaching the steel u shaped hose inside the tank.

I did a small write up here: u hose

I'm going to get into the tank. When I remove the fuel line quick disconnects will fuel flow out or do they have a ball valve in them?

Found split straight fuel line going to the filter. Going to order new lines and filter from Boneyard. They have a 10" flex fuel Line that looks like it would work for the u shaped hose. Is that the way to go?

"Product Description

Set of 2 10" long flexible nylon fuel lines with 4 clamps. Suitable for use inside the fuel tank. Meets SAE 30R10 specs and can be bent into a U-shape without kinking which makes it the perfect replacemnet for all BMW in- tank fuel lines. Perfect for R850/1100/1150, K75/100/1100/1200/1300 bikes and also R1200 series bikes."

Going to remove the canister. The two vent/canister lines in the tank are cracked. I don't believe they're leaking yet but should be replaced. I don't see a Boneyard replacement. Is it difficult to replace? What should I use for replacement hoses?

Thanks

Ron

I used that kit to replace the lines on mine. It works OK but the bend turns out to be a bit larger radius than the formed hose. Makes it a little more difficult to get it all back in but it does work and is lots cheaper than the BMW part. For the in-tank vent lines I ordered a meter of the tubing from Max...look at the fiche for the part number. A meter is just barely enough.

Yep, that Max.

Sorry...I shoulda been more specific.

A couple more dealers that I've ordered from...

Bob's BMW

A & S BMW

They all have pretty much the same prices. Max is probably the best known. A & S is in Calif. so shipping to AZ might be a little faster. I've purchased parts from all of them with pretty much equal results.

Archived