IGNORED

New Beemer Owner in Georgia

LuckyRicky799

LuckyRicky799

Hello All,

I purchased a 2011 R1200RT back in June, and on my first nighttime ride I noticed that the high beam headlamp was very dim. Further inspection revealed that the high beam has a Halogen bulb installed, whereas the low beams are HID. Since i don't have the sticker from the dealer, i have no idea if the bike came equipped with HID, or if the original owner upgraded the low beams to HID.

Anybody got any ideas? I want to boost up that high beam, since the halogen installed is pretty anemic, but it would be nice to know a little more about how the bike comes from the factory. :Cool: Thanks! -Alan

Halogen light bulbs are the bulbs supplied from the factory.

HID's are after market. Most people don't use HID for high beam, because it takes to long to start. You can try a LED bulb or buy auxiliary driving lights. Everything from marker lights to flood style landing lights are available. It's your budget.

A halogen for a high beam on the RT is suffucient. The problem is your main beam HID's. The main beams throw a different light color and pattern. It's miss matched and your eyes do not adjust to the difference. Your going to either deal with it or figure out a new combination of lighting. Aux lights or led lighting. Even going back to full halogen (OEM) is a option. I left the headlight configuration alone on my 2012RT. I added the Clearwater leds. I have fork mounted and a set up under the mirrors. Very bright and effective. I decided against HID'S because I did not want the hassle of running the extra wiring and ballast mounting in a tight area under the dash.

LuckyRicky799

How about using a high performance Halogen bulb in the high beam position? I was thinking about using a Nokya DAOT super white (3800K lumens) to improve the high beam visibility. I have LED aux lights, but they are pointed lower.

Face it halogens and HID lights are two different technologies. A brighter halogen will throw more heat and create another problem. You will not match a HID color and intensity with the brightest halogen available. It's your choice on how much money you want to spend experimenting with different configurations. In the end it will be what works best for you without blinding oncoming drivers and your preferences in light beam combinations.

LuckyRicky799

I totally hear what you're saying. I'm not expecting to "match" the color or intensity of the HID lights.....only looking to improve Hi Beam intensity to the point where it is useful as a Hi Beam. Right now it's pretty much useless....it puts out the same amount and color of light as a 2-D-cell maglight. I live in Georgia and deer are everywhere; a good Hi Beam greatly improves my ability to see them in time to avoid them.

Thanks for the input. I will try a HP Halogen first, since it's relatively inexpensive, and if that's still unsatisfactory, i'll try something else. I'll follow up here when i get a chance. Thanks again! -Alan

terryofperry

Great Alan, that is plenty close enough to join the SECFF lunch rides this winter and take a look at the upcoming FART get together, great riding and better people.

Welcome to the group.

Terry

LuckyRicky799

Terry,

Do tell me more about these groups! Do they have a page or website? Do I have to sign up somewhere?

Also, wanted to follow up about the lighting upgrade. I installed a Nokya DOT Super White 3800K bulb in the high beam position, and i got to ride it to work this morning at 5:00am. Before i even left the subdivision i spotted a deer by the entrance, from about 100 yds away, so the Nokya bulb is working as i had hoped. I would still like a little more light (brightness), so i may upgrade again in the future. But the improvement was worth the expense. At least i noticed a difference......

terryofperry

Alan

On this Forum look under riding events.

FART is here.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=928700&nt=7&page=1

The ride to eat lunches will start sometime Oct or Nov, I will keep you in mind but they are posted on this board in the events section.

Feel free to ask any questions, good group of people. Continue to let us know how the high beam performs. If you come to FART, if only for a day or two, you will see every light option on the planet.

Terry

Archived