IGNORED

R1200RT MY2014 - please give us your feedback

FreeAsA_RT

Dear R1200RT rider´s !

I work on the quality side of BMW Motorrad in Munich and just finished the consultation of a short questionnaire concerning the R1200RT MY2014 at a German discussion board.

The possibility to influence decision making gained many participants under the German R1200RT LC rider´s. The constructive outcome was quite amazing!

I was just wondering if you would like to participate as well. For me the US requirements appear slightly different in terms of use & climate for example?

In case you d´like to share your experience while riding the RT MY 2014 for at least one day. Please copy the questions below and post it together with your answers. Your answer will find the direct way to BMW & help us making the next RT more suitable based on your input.

I appreciate your support and wish you all a wonderful holiday season – hopefully traveling on a R1200RT!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few?

2. Where do you see space for improvement?

3. Is the illumination of the original headlight sufficient, even during turns?

4. If you tend to the suspension setting, is it too hard or too soft – which driving modes do you use? pro / dynamic?

5. Do you consider the volume of the exhaust pipe as appropriate?

6. Is the total load of 221 kilograms for you in practice enough?

7. Is the optional extras and accessories list providing all the things you need to set up your RT in reference to your whishes & needs? Do you have any other requests?

8. How satisfied are you with the wind and weather protection?

9. How practical is the Multi Controller and its attachment to the turn signal switch to you?

10. Is the tilt adjustment for the instrument cluster useful.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Members, I have received an email from the author. His name is Daniel and he appears to be from Germany and work for BMW. I can't tell you the importance of him making contact with us. For years we have all loved riding BMW's, but the ownership experience via our dealers and BMWNA has at times fallen short. At times VERY short. And to be fair, at times it was good. And while Daniel is asking specifically about the features of the motorcycle, it is the first time this door has opened both ways. We have suspected that BMWAG was monitoring this website, but now we are certain. And I think our mature, friendly and cooperative community has a great deal to do with them reaching out to us as a feedback source. So please answer fairly and honestly. Perhaps, as we prove to be of value, we will have other opportunities at which time we may be able to address issues related to BMWNA, dealer training, and more transparent and customer-friendly problem resolution processes. Daniel, thank you for this opportunity.

Dear R1200RT rider´s !

I work on the quality side of BMW Motorrad in Munich and just finished the consultation of a short questionnaire concerning the R1200RT MY2014 at a German discussion board.

The possibility to influence decision making gained many participants under the German R1200RT LC rider´s. The constructive outcome was quite amazing!

I was just wondering if you would like to participate as well. For me the US requirements appear slightly different in terms of use & climate for example?

In case you d´like to share your experience while riding the RT MY 2014 for at least one day. Please copy the questions below and post it together with your answers. Your answer will find the direct way to BMW & help us making the next RT more suitable based on your input.

I appreciate your support and wish you all a wonderful holiday season – hopefully traveling on a R1200RT!!!

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few?

4. If you tend to the suspension setting, is it too hard or too soft – which driving modes do you use? pro / dynamic?

7. Is the optional extras and accessories list providing all the things you need to set up your RT in reference to your whishes & needs? Do you have any other requests?

9. How practical is the Multi Controller and its attachment to the turn signal switch to you?

(This really belongs in Wetheads section....)

[quote=

The functional performance is the best of any RT, ever. It's a phenomenally capable machine with enormous utility. The new engine, especially, is a gem.

The stock seat is terrible. The fabric is slippery, the foam is spongy and soft, and the shape is completely uncomfortable.

The new BMW tank bag is also extremely disappointing. Why did they replace the excellent, easily removable, expandable, and paint-friendly design of the hexhead tank bag with this new, small model that has cheap, flimsy snap-straps? You have to actuate those straps every time you fill the gas tank, and I'm betting they won't last two months before they break. Total crap! I've had straps on my 2004 which were beefy and strong - lasted 5 years. On the 2013 R1200R in my garage, they're thinner and cheaper, and lasted 1 year. Now on the RT they're not even suitable for a child's toy.

Also, I wish the "old fashioned" BMW turn signal actuation was here. I do not like the left-hand-only Japanese style actuation on the new RT. I do not think it's as intuitive. The best in the industry in my opinion is Harley Davidson. Same style as "old RT" BMW but you hit the same signal button again to cancel, eliminating the need for a third "cancel" button as on BMW. That's the perfect design. Go back to it!

Maybe backlight a few of the main buttons on the control housings for night time riding?

Yes. With a proper bulb upgrade the spread is even and strong. Of course, aux lights never hurt!

For everyday use, road / normal is just fine. The driving modes are a great feature. Sport mode is fantastic, only ruined by the awful stock seat which causes the rider to slide forward. I can't wait to replace that seat!

Sure. Mine is chrome which is a bit flashy for an RT, but I can live with it. Volume is fine although the sound of a flat twin remains anything but interesting or engaging.

Yes. It feels light and at speed, it the bike seems to shrink. Amazing.

Yes. Many like to relocate their foot pegs, since the stock Wethead (more than any other RT) feels a little "cramped." The footpegs are too high, even for my small 30" inseam. On the older bikes, the brake lever was on a spline, so you could adjust its position if you relocated the pegs. The new design brake lever is fixed - again likely a cost-saving move. That was a mistake by BMW as it makes a simple adjustment much more complicated now.

100% satisfied. Perfectly happy with the stock shield.

The Multi-Controller is an ergonomic masterpiece. It's I-drive flipped over on its side - a genius method to controlling so many functions with a minimum of distraction.

Yes.

I waited for an update to the appearance of the RT. Engine performance and seeming lack of drivetrain issues caused me to buy a first year model.

One area is heat from the radiator outlets. While not the worst bike I have seen for heat on lower legs, I have to tuck my legs in tight or put them on highway pegs to get away from the heat for a bit. Under 90 degrees F it isn't much of a problem. Been 100+ on my dash display for over a week. Maybe extend the radiator outlet part of the fairing to push hot air out further?

Considering it is only one bulb, I can live with it. But it is poor compared to other bikes I ride. Works ok in turns ( incandescent bulbs are usually better in turns) but on dark roads, especially if damp, you really cannot see quite as well as a bike of this quality should allow.

I ride in "Road" mode most often. Which is a bit firm for Interstate highway travel where you are just eating miles. Still a good ride, just firm. I find "Soft" has too much bounce on any road not perfectly smooth. I would like to have "Soft" with a bit more damping. Dyna is very good like it is.

This might surprise some. I find the new RT a bit too loud! Sounds good at low speed and at full throttle. But, I find I can hear the exhaust noise quite plainly when cruising and wish I didn't. My previous RT was noise/drone free from exhaust noise while cruising.

Plenty

Hard to top what is provided on the new RT! One thing I would pay extra for is an accessory switched power box under the seat. Not tied into the CanBus circuit. Maybe two circuits, one low amperage for a trigger, one higher amperage for direct power to driving lights. The majority of BMW owners add accessories, the CanBus system can complicate doing that.

More satisfied than usual with a new bike. But, I have made improvements to the windscreen already. One reason I ride an RT is for the lower leg protection, this RT is marginal compared to previous models imo.

Takes time to get used to it. I don't know how you could do this better now that I have some time with it. What I do wish is some other way to select a mode without going through so many menus each time.

I don't think most owners even know they have this feature! I don't think it tilts up enough for taller riders, but that may reduce glare by not tilting too high. I wouldn't miss it on another bike.

Dear R1200RT rider´s !

I like the matt paint option. the engine power, the sound, the relatively high comfort level. I just did a 1,050 mile ride in less than 20 hours... enjoyed the bike the entire ride.

The owner's manual is an important thing for new Wethead Owners.... but it is not user friendly... for instance, look at the section on the audio system where it says there is an additional manual... but there is no additional manual. BMW of NA was not able to tell me where it was or what it says. Bad mistake. And OIL... it seems crazy to specify an oil that costs as much as the liquid gold sold at the dealer. Why is it like this? Contact me for more information

Bigger mistake is BMW Motorad NA is very unhelpful. All they can really say ... Contact your dealer. Mistake.

and if you are going to have a telephone response, at BMW Motor rad NA with options, such as Road Side Assistance... please allow someone to answer on the weekends. It may be a surprise but people may need assistance then.

3. Is the illumination of the original headlight sufficient, even during turns? Yes.

I like the options... and use normal most of the time.

5. Do you consider the volume of the exhaust pipe as appropriate? Love it.

yes

Yes indeed. The seat is clearly not up to state of the art quality. At best the seat may be tolerable for some but is not called "comfortable" by anyone.

8. How satisfied are you with the wind and weather protection? Good

Actually a very clever solution to a complex problem. Good job here.

It is very difficult to change the tilt, and it does not really help the glare problem. There are many naturally occurring lighting conditions when the rider cannot see anything. The Nav V is very hard to see at some times.

One more thing... the upper side panels have the tabs to secure the top of the panel to bike. They break off too easily. You need to find a better way to accomplish the mounting. The dealer broke two of mine off ... have not yet offered to repair/replace it.

Overall I love the bike as it is. As an experienced BMW owner I think it is the best bike yet, but it has some issues that need to be addressed. My largest complaint is the dealer education and responsiveness. You can produce a great new bike but the service technicians and the service writers need to very well educated.

Additional information on my complaint shown in item # 2, above.

See the "Audio system and Pairing manual", page 44... where it says "Your motorcycle comes complete with a supplementary manual containing detailed instructions on pairing with different device combinations".

This is nice but THERE IS NO SUPPLEMENTARY MANUAL! and no one at BMW North America knows anything about it, and cannot advise me except to say go to your dealer... who knows nothing about it either.

Is there a Manual or not?

Really?

Panhandle Chuck

- There’s so much to like! The motor and the feedback with a twist of the throttle, the quick response, subtle sound, suspension and overall handling, highlighted by a chiseled stealth design, and incorporating of state of technology designed to improve rider experience.

- Use of the standard matte color to cut cost on paint for side panels and front windshield fairing. Owners are often removing parts to have them color matched with the rear top case to complete the overall appearance.

- The tank bag design is a step backwards.

- Comparing to the camhead fender, the rear portion of the front fender is to short. It allows road debris to beat up on the front cover of the oil tank.

- Bluetooth pairing of non-BMW Bluetooth systems continues to frustrate consumers.

Ergonomics, I think most people recognize riders’ come in all shapes and sizes. So, to build a one size fits all bike is impossible without riders adjusting the needed creature comforts. I’m sure you’re aware of the common items requiring adjustment.

- Handlebar design adds a degree of difficulty for bar backs, it would be nice to just add a plate under the bar to lift and set back like the previous model.

- How about foot pegs with a degree of adjustability? Perhaps, foot pegs with a normal and low setting in combination with the seat and bars to dial in ergonomics?

- Speaking of seat, replaced at 1500 miles, wanted it work and tried to make it work, but couldn’t.

Sounds like your talking nighttime riding which I generally avoid. For daytime riding, other riders have commented my headlight is useless on the low setting, while acknowledging once I switched to the high setting, the difference is night and day, pun intended! I love the “eyes” and they add a unique look to the BMW touring line. I would like to see the “eyes” in a brighter LED configuration.

I find the “Road” and “Normal” setting as a single rider, with or without load to be acceptable. I will “soften” up the suspension for long slab rides or “firm” it and go to “Sport” for tight twisty riding. I find the array of settings to work for any scenario.

- Perfect for me.

- Absolutely.

- OEM plug and play Handle bar options.

- OEM plug and play Foot peg options.

- Awesome!

- The multi-controller is a class leader in design and execution, and one must assume with software upgrades it will continue to evolve.

- A limited range based on height.

Engine performance tops the list followed closely by handling...particularly with the PR4’s I have on it. The other likes are situation dependent I suppose: On-the-fly windshield adjustment, storage capacity, range, Bluetooth, the Nav V, cruise control. I know a lot of this stuff has been standard for a long time but it’s all new to me.

First and foremost, the seat. Two hours and I’m done. I had to replace it. How about a built in garage door opener?

No. Low beam is inadequate. High beams are great.

Hard + Dynamic except on a trip. Then it’s Soft + Dynamic. The options are great.

It’s okay by me. With this constant ringing in my ears, I’m not sure I’m a good judge. In general, the quieter the better.

More than adequate.

I’m with Panhandle Chuck on the adjustability of handlebars and pegs.

I think it’s incredible. I do wish there was a way to vent some air across legs and torso when it’s 90-100 degrees like it has been here.

It’s great now that I’ve quit inadvertently changing the radio station. I do wonder how it will hold up…it gets a lot of use.

Yes. Wish I’d known about it sooner. Just read about it here not long ago. I must have glossed over that part of the manual.

Thanks for asking!!!

Ken

My approval of the RTLC is pretty much at 100%! :thumbsup: The only request I have is basically cosmetic, build us an S version similar to the K16 GT Sport.

My best effort to date.

image.jpg1_zpsx5ga7pcq.jpg

Pat

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few? It's plenty fast, love the new clutch, love the hillstop, like the speed shift, like the long range of 300+ miles.

Bluetooth sucks. Hard to sync, won't stay in sync, wonderwheel doesn't work volume with external devices like Sena SMH 10. As others said seat is awful, looks good, but terribly uncomfortable after 2 hours, wish the turn signals were the old paddles, horn sucks. Need more leg length without raising seat height...only a couple of inches would do. Would be nice to hae a ride off center stand like the old Reynolds.

Yes.

Suspension is perfect for me.

I like it. Just enough grunt without being loud.

Yes. Although up from prior RT gives good stability. No issue.

Incredible. Love them. Fix the Bluetooth. Need connection for IPhone past 4S

Incredibly good.

Multi Controller is good. Wish the turn signals were paddle type

Yes. Others have reported glare issue, but I have not had that issue.

Thanks for asking. No other bike I would rather have.

Asymmetrical

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few? Love the engine flexibility and performance, but would never decline even more of that. The transmission and clutch are a leap forward. The handling, balance, turn-in and braking are excellent with a margin for error that is forgiving. Fuel economy is remarkable especially considering the high performance.

A.) As mentioned by others, the seat needs improvement as it is awful after more than an hour or two.

B.) There needs to be more storage for a few tools and other items so that panniers can remain fully available for luggage.

C.) A complicated machine needs a user manual that is more reader friendly and includes maintenance schedules.

D.) The flat matte surfaces cheapen the appearance of an expensive machine.

E.) I’d like to see engine protection bars as standard equipment.

F.) I’d also like to see a better use of the displays so that more of the information available in the menus could be displayed simultaneously.

G.) The audio system seems that it could really be improved in terms of audio output through Bluetooth and the cumbersome controls.

H.) I’d like to see BMW work with Garmin to improve the NAV V daytime visibility and usefulness. Route planning is torture through BaseCamp limiting its use on what is a touring motorcycle.

I.) There is a light load surging issue that has not been conquered.

3. Is the illumination of the original headlight sufficient, even during turns? A high intensity headlight in either LED or xenon would be an improvement. Never having ridden a bike with adaptive headlamps, I don’t have an opinion about that.

4. If you tend to the suspension setting, is it too hard or too soft – which driving modes do you use? pro / dynamic? I mostly use Dynamic/Hard, but occasionally will use Road/Normal if I want the benefit offered by earlier intervention of the ASC. I find the Soft setting underdamped and a bit ‘giggly’ and consequently don’t use it. Regarding the load setting: I am about 6' and 200# suited up without luggage, but generally set the suspension to ‘single rider plus luggage’ to improve ground clearance. Having said that, I have no idea what BMW intended each setting to equate to in terms of adjustment for load.

5. Do you consider the volume of the exhaust pipe as appropriate? Very happy with it but I use ear protection so volume isn’t likely to be much of an issue for me.

6. Is the total load of 221 kilograms for you in practice enough? Yes.

A.) Someone else said it here too, but the tank bag attachment system is only so-so and the bag is expensive for its size. The map pocket is so small that maps have to be folded to an almost uselessly small size.

B.) I’d like an option to have pulsing/flashing brake lights integrated into the system.

8. How satisfied are you with the wind and weather protection? I find wind buffeting and general wind protection to be only adequate. Bugs are lodged in locations previously unknown to me. An earlier R1100rt I had with the stock windshield was far superior.

9. How practical is the Multi Controller and its attachment to the turn signal switch to you? I like the multi-controller and the easy access to menu items. Unlike some of the others, I prefer the new turn signal switch to the traditional BMW switches, but would like to see a signal cancellation system that turns off sooner after a turn.

10. Is the tilt adjustment for the instrument cluster useful. Yes.

I took a nice 3 hour ride today and wanted to reinforce some suggestions and shortcomings.

1. the Horn is pitiful. If a rabbit or squirrel is in the road and you honk at them, they just laugh at the meep-meep.

2. The Audio system has an irritating hummm when playing through the radio or the USB using the B/T connection to the helmet. This should have been addressed by now, really irritating.

3. The Pro Shift Assist is not ready for primetime yet. Maybe the software update will help but early reports suggest it has no effect at all.

4. Vibration... Why can't BMW figure out how to reduce or eliminate the vibration in the grips? Maybe some vibration absorption material underneath the headstock where the bars mount? A machine of this age and cost should not put your hands to sleep.

good luck with your report to the Mother Ship.

Coming from a 2002 R1150GSA, it is the engine performance. Great improvement!

Seat has to be the highest priority as it lacks any long term comfort and has a forward tilt. I have raised the front of the seat 3/4 of an inch to reduce the sliding forward effect and will be replacing the seat with an aftermarket unit.

I added a shelf to shade the Nav V which can completely washed out and becomes useless.

The Nav V voice instructions stop and the NAV V touch screen mute / un-mute sequence needs to be performed to get them back. It always happens at the least convenient time.

Not everyone uses bluetooth. An audio out - 3.5mm stereo - for wired headsets would of been nice. Better yet, an intercom feature built into the Alpine would be great.

When I purchased the RT I had to drive home 80+ miles on a mountain road in the dark. Didn't notice any limitations to the illumination from the headlight.

I have used all the driving modes and find them useful. I have used the soft and normal but not hard damping settings. I find that the suspension can bottom out - abrupt stop. Might need a more progressive approach.

This has to be the 2nd best feature of the RT. You got it right.

Appears to be ok. I ride single 99% of the time.

No comment.

It would be great if the shield could be low enough in the summer to have the turbulence at or below the shoulder and over the helmet in the winter. The current shield, in the lowest position, places all the turbulence at my helmet, the highest position clears the top of my helmet. I am 5"11" and use ear plugs.

The cleanest air is with the shield in the lowest position, standing on the pegs. The C3 Pro is quiet!

Weather protection is good, Can stay generally dry in monsoon rain (short bursts) at 55+mph speeds.

Took a bit to become accustomed but once there it works great.

I'm one of those that had no idea this feature was available!

THIS IS THE BEST BIKE I HAVE OWNED IN THE 50 YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN RIDING...I smile every time I get on it...

Panhandle Chuck

2. I understand on the K1600 the GPS release button is on the top side of the dash allowing for a security feature once the windshield is lowered. It would be nice to see the release button on the RT GPS relocated to provide the same feature!

I read this in another thread or perhaps another site and thought that would have been nice!

r//Chuck

I don't own one, don't know if I ever will at this point, but I am surprised that no one said color selection. 50 shades of gray or silver suck. The blue is nice, but how about that nice red from 2005, or a british racing green or midnight blue (or even Ford's blue flame metallic), or some other shade of red/orange/blue/yellow, whatever. BMWs need better color choices. Other than that, the only thing that stops me from buying one is the price, but what can you do.

I am surprised that no one said color selection. 50 shades of gray or silver suck.

Agree! :thumbsup: I would bet there's time to get an S version of the RT in the pipeline for 2016.

You know, like this! :clap: More than a few fifty somethings out there trying to hide the graying sideburns. ;) This would help! :grin:

K1600GT-2016-02.jpg

Pat

Mike the Ghoul
Dear R1200RT rider´s !

the engine.

That it is familiar and similar to my older rt .

the seat

foot peg adjustment, especially lower. Includes the passenger ones also.

add additional straps to the side cases so stuff in the lid doesn't fall while you are trying to close the case and get stuck in the gap.

an additional favorite button on the menu. I like to have the trip reset as my favorite, but also like to be able to access another function quickly without having to navigate the menu structure.

more small item storage. I was used to the large storage compartment in the fairing of the r1100rt and it is difficult to get used to the small pockets now.

a proper tool kit.

I don't have a lot of night time riding in yet. But I think it is ok.

They all seem ok. I usually use road/norm for solo riding. With my wife this last trip I used 2up/road/soft on the highway and norm otherwise. When pushing it I used dyna/hard and it was pretty incredible in the twisities.

I like the sound.

I haven't had a problem, though I haven't weighed or computed my loads.

See answer about pegs.

I like it. I think it is better than my old r1100rt. I feel like I don't get as wet in light rain. My wife however doesn't like that her head is now taller than mine and she says she is getting a lot of wind blast that pushes her head back.

It works great for me. The only thing is sometimes I have to search for the turn signal switch. If I have my hand on the clutch already it is difficult for me to reach over the wheel with my thumb and use the turn signal switch.

I still get glare in the lowest position. It is good in theory but not in actual use for me.

Members, I have received an email from the author. His name is Daniel and he appears to be from Germany and work for BMW. I can't tell you the importance of him making contact with us. For years we have all loved riding BMW's, but the ownership experience via our dealers and BMWNA has at times fallen short. At times VERY short. And to be fair, at times it was good. And while Daniel is asking specifically about the features of the motorcycle, it is the first time this door has opened both ways. We have suspected that BMWAG was monitoring this website, but now we are certain. And I think our mature, friendly and cooperative community has a great deal to do with them reaching out to us as a feedback source. So please answer fairly and honestly. Perhaps, as we prove to be of value, we will have other opportunities at which time we may be able to address issues related to BMWNA, dealer training, and more transparent and customer-friendly problem resolution processes. Daniel, thank you for this opportunity.

Peter Horrocks

" My wife however doesn't like that her head is now taller than mine and she says she is getting a lot of wind blast that pushes her head back."

[/color]

Having had a test ride on the LC, my wife didn't like it as she got too much wind blast also. I fail to understand why pillion passengers are put so high these days

• 2 weeks later...
Dear R1200RT rider´s !

I am considering updating my trusty 2002 1150RT and have taken a couple of test rides of a 2014 and 2015 1200RT.

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few? It feels more responsive than my 2002 and I like the seat being a bit lower lower to the ground.

2. Where do you see space for improvement? There are few adds that I think would make the bike perfect. First, the bike is set up with many creature comforts and keyless lock and a proximity ignition allow you to park and walk away. No fuss. That being said, the current mount for the navigation is not secure and requires removal for a stop of any duration. This needs to be secured, somehow. The other issue has to do with options if the key fob where ever to run low on battery. The dealer showed me what would be required and it would seem to require the removal of the speaker to get closed enough to the antenna. But wait, I can't get to my tools because my key fob won't unlock anything.

3. Is the illumination of the original headlight sufficient, even during turns? No night riding, so can't say.

4. If you tend to the suspension setting, is it too hard or too soft – which driving modes do you use? pro / dynamic? I cycled through the various modes and they all seemed appropriate.

5. Do you consider the volume of the exhaust pipe as appropriate? It was stock pipes in both cases and they seemed to produce a nice note.

6. Is the total load of 221 kilograms for you in practice enough? Yes. Took my wife along on one of the test rides and it had plenty of pep.

7. Is the optional extras and accessories list providing all the things you need to set up your RT in reference to your whishes & needs? Do you have any other requests? I plan to order the works. Secure integrated navigation would be great. Also, I will likely add bar-backs as I did for my 1150. I wear a 35" sleeve, but for some reason the the grips do not seem quite far enough for my liking.

8. How satisfied are you with the wind and weather protection? This all seemed good, both for me and my pillion.

9. How practical is the Multi Controller and its attachment to the turn signal switch to you? I found it to work well, although I thought the universal turn signal was a bit a step backward. The turns signal tabs on both side of my 1150 took some getting used to, but I really missed them on the 1200. They also seemed more out of the way.

10. Is the tilt adjustment for the instrument cluster useful. The dealer demonstrated the feature and it seemed pretty minimal. Could be useful for addressing glare.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the design of the water cooled RT is better than the previous 1200RT, though I think I liked the more compact look of the 1150RT best. With regard to comfort and performance, having come from sport bikes (Yamaha YZF-600, Ducati 748, Suzuki GSX-R750) and sport-tourers that emphasize the sport over touring aspect (Aprilia Futura, Ducati ST4s, Honda VFR), the RT is SO much more comfortable, while still giving sporty performance. Amazingly, for a bike weighing well north of 600-lbs, fully equipped, it performs very well. And with such performance, I still get low- to mid-40’s MPG commuting around town? Brilliant!

When I first read about the hill-start assist I thought, “Ok, in a car, I get it, but on a bike? What a bunch of dolts! Put your left foot on the ground and use your right foot to hold the bike with the rear brake!” Then I used it a few times. Nice addition, guys! It’s especially helpful with a passenger.

A) The seat doesn’t bother me as much as it does others; however, I do notice some numbness after riding for more than 45 minutes, or so. Still, it only takes a short time off the bike to recover. Speaking of the seat, in inseam-challenged, fantasy-option-land there would be an option for an automatically adjusting seat height, wherein two heights are set: one at a stop and another while under way. As the bike accelerated, the seat would rise from its feet-on-the-ground height. As the bike decelerated, the seat would lower from its comfy-legroom riding height. Ok, ok, back to reality…

B) Weight. The original 1200 lost weight compared to the 1150 it replaced (which has always been strange to me, since the 1200 looks physically bigger than the 1150), but since then, the 1200 has been gaining weight. That trend should be reversed (says the guy who just suggested a weight-increasing automatic seat-height farkle).

C) The transmission is clunky (both up and down) in the bottom 3 gears unless shifted under just the right RPM/engine load conditions, which isn’t always convenient. 1st to 2nd (and 2nd back to 1st) is especially rough. The Shift Modes Pro is a great idea – and I understand works brilliantly on the S1000RR – but needs some work in the RT application. Downshifting seems to work better than upshifting and, of course, works best in the higher gears and at certain RPMs. I’ve only just recently, and after much experimentation, come to terms with the upshift: it seems that it works best, again, in the top 3 gears and only at constant, part-throttle openings. I guess the system wasn’t optimized for full-throttle upshifts?

D) Bluetooth connectivity. Thumbs up for allowing 2 helmets to pair with the bike. BIG thumbs down for requiring that those helmets be BMW-branded Bluetooth helmets. Fortunately, the aftermarket (thank you, Cardo Systems!) has an answer in a system that allows the rider to share/stream the RT music to the passenger. Also, apparently the Multi Controller controls the Bluetooth volume…again, provided you have a BMW-branded Bluetooth helmet. Boo. Lastly, Nav V voice instructions are intermittent/inconsistent via Bluetooth.

E) Two words: louder horn.

F) Under seat storage, including a proper tool kit. There isn't even a proper place to keep the rider's manual under there.

G) Would love for the Nav V mount to be incorporated into central locking so that I could leave the GPS in the mount when stopped for meals/sight-seeing/etc. without worrying about it “growing legs and walking away”.

H) The rubber grips on the foot pegs aren’t attached well; they’re basically flaps of rubber attached only at the inboard end. Those of the passenger foot rests “roll” forward and off the top of the peg on longer rides.

Sufficient, yes, but not exemplary. Although, the “halo eyes” are a cool, identifying feature.

I really like the options and the ease of switching between modes! I ride in Dynamic mode, but with the suspension damping set to the Normal setting; Hard seems a bit too stiff for public roads. I only switch to Rain mode when the pavement is wet (duh?) but then change the suspension damping from Soft back to Normal. When it’s wet, I prefer the earlier intervention of traction control, not so much the softer throttle response. The Soft suspension setting is so “wallowy” that it can be unnerving, especially when the roads are slippery. For point of reference, I weigh 170lbs w/o gear. I ride in full gear (jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and helmet) with all three cases attached, though rarely full. I find that the rider + bags preload setting works best for me when riding solo, even with the bags empty; the full-featured BMW top case weighs so much that I felt a noticeable change in the suspension the first time I sat on the bike with the case installed.

It sounds good but it may be a bit loud for a touring bike. On the rare occasion that I go for a short ride without earplugs, the exhaust is definitely loud. Even with earplugs, at low engine speed and closed or neutral throttle openings (i.e. riding through a residential neighborhood), the exhaust volume is noticeable inside my helmet. I often wonder if it’s just the way the exhaust resonates to the rider’s position, or if it’s that loud away from the bike, as well.

Let’s see, carry the 1…ah, yes, 487 lbs! Perfectly acceptable.

Call me superficial, but BMW absolutely has to offer color-matched top cases. So the K1600 is the touring flag-ship…does that mean the equally venerable RT shouldn’t get the same color-matched choices? It borders on criminal to charge well north of $1500 for the top-level case in a color that merely attempts to “compliment” them all, without actually matching any of the stock RT colors. Why has BMW opted for the Henry Ford philosophy of colors, with regard to the top-case: “You can have any color you like, as long as it’s (white aluminum)”?

Quite satisfied; however, it seems that, in giving such good weather protection, the RT is somewhat more susceptible to turbulent air than I’m accustomed. I don’t know if it’s a trait common to touring-oriented bikes with such nimble handling, but the bike feels almost nervous at higher speeds, markedly so when riding among other vehicles on the highway. Then, again, it could be the tires. This is the first bike I’ve had with Metzelers. Also, my passenger (who’s not overly tall) complains of wind buffeting unless the windshield is in its highest setting; at which point I feel like I’m trying to steer a barn door through a wind storm at anything above 35 mph.

It puts the turn signal switch a bit farther away from my thumb than I was previously accustomed, but not cumbersomely so. I think the multi controller works very well. And I’m glad that BMW has ditched the old paddle-style turn signals in favor of the more universal style currently in use, though that’s a purely subjective issue.

10. Is the tilt adjustment for the instrument cluster useful?

Yes, although I almost never adjust it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a 73 year old 2014 1200RT BMW owner. This is my 4th BMW(3 RT's and 1 1600GT). In a stop and go situation (semi truck fire closed one lane) of I-5 South in California on a very hot day in May, 2015, after about 30 min of just moving forward one truck at a time, the clutch on my 2014 RT with 6000 miles stopped working. Would not engage or disengage until the engine finally stopped running. I was finally able to get bike in neutral and walked the bike to the right hand edge of the interstate. After setting for about 5 minutes I started the bike and it seemed to shift correctly. I stayed on the right berm of the interstate until I got past the truck fire accident to avoid the stop and go.

From that point forward and until this day, the bike clutch just is not the same. In 1st gear the clutch does not engage until the lever is fully extended and then it almost "jumps" into gear. the is especially difficult when stopped on an uphill grade.

Local BMW dealer says they cannot replicate problem and they have never heard of the problem before. They tell me the clutch must have over heated (summer in Southern California, 95 degrees and stop and go traffic is not unusual). The dealer says BMW Motorrad corporation would consider this as "clutch abuse" and would offer no warranty assistance.

I believe the over heating affected the clutch in some manner. I do not believe that BMW intentionally made a clutch for a motorcycle to be driven in Southern California

and that the clutch would over heat to the extent that it would no longer function.

The local dealer will only look at the bike if I agree, up front, the cover the cost as they do not believe BMW Motorrad will consider a possibly damaged clutch after 6000 miles as a warranty issue.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences with the 2015 1200RT.

Dan - Have you checked to see whether the clutch fluid is at the proper level (NOT full)? By any chance was the 6000 service done just before the problem arose? When you say "engine finally stopped running", did the engine actually overheat?

I wouldn't expect the clutch to be bad now and would start with adjusting the lever and the fluid level. And it doesn't seem that your freeway episode would cause the clutch itself to fail, but maybe the master or slave cylinder could be leaking - which would be covered by warranty.

Your local dealer sounds remarkably unhelpful. Can you check with another dealer?

The engine did not overheat. It stopped because I was unable to get the clutch disengaged while not moving. Basically I guess you could say I killed the engine.

This occurred just before I took the bike in for the 6000 mile service. When I took the bike in for the 6000 mile service I related this incident to the dealer service manager. I was told they checked the clutch fluid level and found it okay and there were no leaks.

The bike runs just fine other than the issue with starting from 1st gear. I plan to flush the fluid from the clutch master and slave cylinders this week just to see if it makes any difference. I have a service manual DVD.

I have discussed this with a couple other BMW owners and they stated that the "severe overheating" may have damaged the clutch plates in some manner. But as you are aware it is a major undertaking to get to the clutch on the water cooled RT.

I certainly agree with the comment about riding in Phoenix, AZ heat. Having ridden there when it was 113 degrees. Not on this bike though.

I believe, (just as a general fact),having the clutch overheat just from stop and go riding in warm weather should be a warranty issue in and of itself. But the service manager at dealer I purchased the bike does not agree. I am considering taking it to another dealer, but that is quite a distance from my home.

Not sure how to connect with a BMW Motorrad representative in my area to get a definite warranty answer.

The clutch on the LC RT is easier to do than older models. It's in the front of the engine and not between the engine and transmission as on older models. I doubt it's more than a $4-500 job where as the older bikes would be around $2000.

Dan...to get better responses I would suggest you start a new thread for this issue. This list was for something else and is getting a little old.

Heat in Phoenix should not have killed your clutch all by itself IMHO. We don't get Phoenix heat here in Houston, but we do get 105-110 in the summer with high humidity. I guarantee traffic is many times worse here in Houston. I have never had any heat issues with my 14RT and certainly no clutch issues.

Unless you were using the clutch to hold a hill or something, it just doesn't seem right.

I sent you a PM as well.

Send out a new thread and pretty sure you will get more replies.

Regards,

I've seen it as high as 119 on the freeway and 110 isn't a big deal from June through most of September. It's hard on any vehicle and if something isn't up to snuff, it'll sniff it out.

Not sure how to connect with a BMW Motorrad representative in my area to get a definite warranty answer.

Try this e-mail address: CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com

or:

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Dan,

It might be worth flushing the clutch fluid before jumping into replacing the clutch. If the fluid gets any moisture in the lines it can do funny things when heated up. Also if the fluid has broken down from extreme heat it won't work the same. Just as a reminder the clutch fluid is not the same as the brake fluid. Here is a link to the correct fluid.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/magminoil.html

Alan

For me it was my wife. She has I problem with her ankle and these bike was the smallest bike that worked for her. I would have bought something that leaned me a little forward if it wasn't for that.

I don't want to go on too long here. I'll bring up what has been said though. While these bike has the best all around stock suspension I've ever had doesn't mean I don't won't more. I want the ability to fine to preload and compression in all three modes of both sides. Even if this needs to done though a remote app.

It's ok. I don't see why a bike at these price tag isn't coming stock with hids or LEDs

Ride modes I use dynamic and rain. I then change suspension within those modes. While it's cute the bike changes suspension setting with the drive mode I don't like it unless I had control of how it changes. I don't find the road setting that tempting because I want a consistent throttle and don't find dynamic abrupt. I do use soft on compression for boring bits but for a rainy mountain road, it's to loose. So when I hit rain on a mountain pass (I know that never happens) and I want the traction control and abs to know what is going on I then have then change the suspension up to normal (witch is a touch stiffer then I would set it if I could control it). The softened throttle in rain doesn't bother me but I would be happy if it never changed, but I know no manufacturer is going to let me change that. In the dry I mostly use soft and hard.

Fine

Fine

Most this stuff is well handled by aftermarket.

At 6'3" the windshield sucks but that's life can't make it work for everyone. That being said I wish in the lower setting it was lower and I got more cooling in the heat. Even at 6'3" it is still in the bottom of my helmet and dirty. Not my chest where it should be.

Brilliant. I've been in very expensive cars that aren't this dialed in.

I guess. My is up and stays and stays up

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few? I have owned 5 RTs since 1997 and have 250,000 miles on them. I bought the 2014 because of the change to a unitized engine/transmission and a wet clutch.

2. Where do you see space for improvement? The stock horn was junk! The windshield is too small for cold weather riding.

3. Is the illumination of the original headlight sufficient, even during turns? A $22000 motorcycle deserves a better headlight. Perhaps LED?

4. If you tend to the suspension setting, is it too hard or too soft – which driving modes do you use? pro / dynamic? The ESA is wonderful. I use Dynamic and Road modes.

5. Do you consider the volume of the exhaust pipe as appropriate? The exhaust tone is perfect!

6. Is the total load of 221 kilograms for you in practice enough? Good enough for me.

7. Is the optional extras and accessories list providing all the things you need to set up your RT in reference to your whishes & needs? Do you have any other requests? This bike has options that I didn't know that I needed! I love the electric shift assist and hill hold.

8. How satisfied are you with the wind and weather protection? A larger windshield should be a no cost option.

9. How practical is the Multi Controller and its attachment to the turn signal switch to you? The controller is easy to use and learn.

10. Is the tilt adjustment for the instrument cluster useful. I leave it in the up position. Not really that useful.

1 more item. The topbox price is outrageous, but I bought it to take advantage of the central locking. That said, why doesn't it come painted to match the bike?

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few? Sounds like fishing for ad content. But seriously, the reduced seat height compared to my 2012 clinched the deal. Also, it seems the bike is more rigid, there's one rough corner that always set the 2012 yawing all over that the 2015 handles with no fuss

2. Where do you see space for improvement? Bluetooth hates to pair with anything other than BMW which is grossly overpriced; I would love to see user switchable english/metric units for travel between USA and Canada; quite arrogant of BMW to make handlbars and brake pedal essentially nonadjustable. Radio is excessively complicated, maybe not for someone at a desk with plenty of time but in traffic with both hands and feet in play is a different story. Imagine this: listening to satellite radio, you see a sign "tune to AM 1620 for traffic information" (last time was AM 580). Push source, then push mode. Which button down by my knee is which? Then change station - push, push, push,... All the while being mindful of position, other cars, congestion,...

3. Is the illumination of the original headlight sufficient, even during turns? Works OK but liked the adaptive headlight on my K1600 much better. Why not offer LED like they did for the GS? I haven't seen it in action but the sequential illumiating LED system on the Multistrada 1200S seems like it'd do the same thing as the K1600's light but with no moving parts. And any LED system would do away with the positively terrible process of changing the low beam bulb. I don't even want to think about changing out the high beams.

4. If you tend to the suspension setting, is it too hard or too soft – which driving modes do you use? pro / dynamic? Normal/road works for 90% of my riding. Soft is too bouncy, hard is good when I push it (not often).

5. Do you consider the volume of the exhaust pipe as appropriate? I certainly don't want it any louder.

6. Is the total load of 221 kilograms for you in practice enough? Never even come close to that load, so yes. I do like knowing I can carry more than most any bike on the market though :)

7. Is the optional extras and accessories list providing all the things you need to set up your RT in reference to your whishes & needs? Do you have any other requests? I'll echo others' request to bring back the tankbag rail system. I've already broken the tension buckle on the strap system. Map pocket on top isn't waterproof, and is too small. LED "fog" lights aren't very bright, though useful as position indicators/visibility enhancers.

8. How satisfied are you with the wind and weather protection? No complaints.

9. How practical is the Multi Controller and its attachment to the turn signal switch to you? Works well. I would like to see some changes in function, particularly changing radio stations. Why not spin the wheel to change stations instead of pushing/pulling to advance one station at a time?

10. Is the tilt adjustment for the instrument cluster useful. Not especially.

1 more item. The topbox price is outrageous, but I bought it to take advantage of the central locking. That said, why doesn't it come painted to match the bike?

+1

1. What do you like most at the water cooled R1200RT MY 2014? Design, engine-performance or comfort just to name but a few.

Coming from a well liked 2013 Triumph Trophy, I find the lightness, gas mileage, ease of ESA, shift assist, multi controller all add up to a great motorcycle! Engine performance compared to the Triumph is a little lack luster… BUT way better than past BMW R's we have tried in the past. One other thing that would really be a nice touch, lighted switches!!! past.

The horn…… It really needs to be a different tone and much loader! I will be changing it to a self contained air horn (AKA Stebel). The seat has it days. The best seat I have EVER ridden, was on a Aprilia Futura. Never have I ever ridden a bike that I could ride for hours on end the first day!!!!

I find that your company has such a nice set up on your cars, why can't something like those end up on your motorcycle! Adaptive headlights would be very nice!

Love the ESA. I ride almost 99.9% of the time with my wife. So it is set to the two-up w/luggage on Dynamic-soft. Perfect for the type of riding we do.

We both use custom ear headphones, so it's pretty nice. Not to loud but I can still hear it.

Only just with myself and wife with overnight essentials. BUT, I really don't need anything more.

7. Is the optional extras and accessories list providing all the things you need to set up your RT in reference to your wishes & needs? Do you have any other requests?

For us, not really. Maybe a separate plugs for heated gear.

For the pilot (compared to the 2015 Trophy), I feel a little more wind on my shoulders (I'm 5' 10"; 178cm). But my wife said she has less wind on her, so there is a win for sure!!!

I love the multi controller!!!! But unlike other long time BMW rider, I like the current turn signal switch.

I ride with day-glo jackets, so no matter how I tilt the cluster, I still get a refection. Would like to see a better hood for the GPS though!

Archived