IGNORED

Mounting iPhone 5S on 2015 RT

ExGMan

I have moved from a 2008 RT to a 2015. On my 2008 I had a very simple RAM 1" ball attached to one of the eight handlebar bolts. To that I attached a medium RAM arm and then a RAM Universal X-mount and then the iPhone to that. That system worked fine for many touring miles using the WAZE iPhone app. FWIW, I don't use the 'phone while riding, but only use it for navigation. I wear earplugs while riding.

The 2015 has the GPS prep package, but I don't want a BMW/Garmin GPS. That said, I have been looking hard at that empty location in my dash, wondering about a way to attach a RAM 1" ball in there somewhere. That little cover plate over the GPS mount doesn't seem robust enough to me. Maybe there's more substance back there?

Anyway, I imagine that others have figured out a solution for this problem. I have looked at various RAM products, but finding one which would attach to the handlebars (which seem to have some odd angles & curves) does not seem possible with the RAM system.

I'd appreciate hearing from any who has some ideas (short of buying the BMW Navigator) about this.

Can't give you a true ride report but did buy an extra GPS cover plate (think it was ~8$) and then drilled holes in it to mount the RAM clip horizontally, added a tether just in case and took it around the neighborhood and it did fine. Perhaps someone else has a comprehensive ride report relative to vibration and durability. I went to a 6+ so didn't get to test it out.

Thanks Jim. I thought about attaching a RAM ball to the cover plate, but wondered if it were strong enough to hold the bracket, arm and iPhone. Maybe that's the solution?

Don't remember where but 1 of the forums had a link to a guy that makes a mount where the roundrel sits now. Looked pretty slick.

Whilst I know the Nav V is not for everyone, BMW have done a good job of integrating its operation with the 2014 and later RTs.

For example, I have just spotted that there is an option to have the Nav V show the remaining tank range. Which means I can have my tyre pressures showing on the BMW dash and the remaining fuel range showing on the Nav V.

Given that the Nav V is a pretty good unit built to work with the RT I would need a very good reason to fiddle about trying to get an alternative solution - just saying.

Whilst I know the Nav V is not for everyone, BMW have done a good job of integrating its operation with the 2014 and later RTs.

For example, I have just spotted that there is an option to have the Nav V show the remaining tank range. Which means I can have my tyre pressures showing on the BMW dash and the remaining fuel range showing on the Nav V.

I think it's a preset distance per tank vs. distance rode. I went to Billings for the rally one tank was 55 sMiles per gallon, others with head winds 42. Average distance per tank isn't much help in this case.

When you hit the mark for the low fuel indicator the bike change your preset display to range. Then goes back to your preset after refueling very nice.

Jay

When you hit the mark for the low fuel indicator the bike change your preset display to range. Then goes back to your preset after refueling very nice.

Jay

I observed that feature of the RT's display today. Fuel gauge turned yellow and even though I had external temperature on display, it removed that and put the countdown of miles to empty up. Once I filled up, it reverted to the temperature. Nice is right.

Archived