Cheap / discounted OEM TPMS / RDC sensors

TadaoBaba

Ok, time for a new set of tires on my 2008. It seems like, although I have low miles, that I should probably swap out my TPMS sensors, since they are going on 8 years old.

Anybody have a location to buy these, outside the dealer? They go for $150 each at the dealer, not including installation. Has anyone tried the OEM's for sale out of China on Fleabay? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

If you're handy the battery can be replaced (it's potted in place but many have been successful with a surgical replacement.) I'm not aware of an alternate/substitute, I tried contacting Schrader but they said that the model BMW uses is sold though BMW only -- 'for our protection' no doubt. That was a while ago though so maybe things have changed. If you do replace them you will either need to have a BMW dealer program the new units into your ECU or that can also be done with a GS-911 tool. If you replace the battery only then no reprogramming necessary of course.

I've really only seen one video on replacing the battery - anyone else had success with that? I don't mind giving it a try, as there is little risk in the end. Anyone have any input?

Guest Kakugo
I guess a better question - how many miles / years have you gotten out of your OEM sensors?

My bike is 6 years old and just shy of the 100000km mark. Still on the original TPMS.

Given my mileage has greatly declined over the past couple of years and hence I'll be probably keeping the bike long term, I've decided when the TPMS will fail I'll just buy OE and be done with it. No sense risking headaches with cheap knockoffs or attempting changing the battery, which is pretty much hit or miss.

PS: given your handle I take you own a Blade. ;)

No sense risking headaches with cheap knockoffs or attempting changing the battery, which is pretty much hit or miss.

I think the sense is saving $300, and if the job is done correctly it should be reliable.

As to how long they last, it seems to be a long time. I have over 6 years on a set although who knows how much longer they will last. If you will be paying full boat then it seems like a high expense to do 'just in case', I'd probably wait for the low battery warning and at that point you'd probably make it to the next tire change. For all you know that could be another couple of years.

I've got 8 years on the originals on my Mercedes where the service manual says they're good for 7.

Other than warning lights, nothing much happens when a sensor fails, although the safety warning is a good thing to have and I'd replace sensors when they fail. Makes most sense during a tire replacement, of course.

This SUV also has the original starting and auxiliary batteries both 8 years old and I'm probably going to proactively replace the starting battery as clearly the consequences could be greater than a warning light. The aux battery exists to run the transmission selector solenoid and probably equal consequences. Looks like a motorcycle battery.

Again, don't see the same need for proactive replacement of TPMS sensors, and besides, tire change intervals on bikes are lots more frequent anyway.

The TPMS sensors live in a pretty harsh environment in terms of vibration, temperature, and shock, and I'd think the battery life interval might come pretty close to the life interval for some of the other components, too ... meaning replacing the whole thing might be the best idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update the thread, someone noted to me that they purchased replacement BMW motorcycle TPMS sensors on Ebay and sure enough they are all over. Some are Chinese and some are advertised as being OEM but all are a fraction of BMW parts pricing and closer to typical TPMS sensor prices. At that price (maybe $50-75 for a pair instead of BMW's absurd $300) I'd probably replace instead of attempting a repair.

Guest Kakugo
Just to update the thread, someone noted to me that they purchased replacement BMW motorcycle TPMS sensors on Ebay and sure enough they are all over. Some are Chinese and some are advertised as being OEM but all are a fraction of BMW parts pricing and closer to typical TPMS sensor prices. At that price (maybe $50-75 for a pair instead of BMW's absurd $300) I'd probably replace instead of attempting a repair.

If do, please report about accuracy, ease of integration with the bike electronics etc.

Thanks!

Let's see, you got 8 years out of them....300 dollars/8= $37.50/year. Doesn't seem expensive to me.

Mine died at about 80K miles.....replaced under extended service contract.

You know what they say about BMW owners......

Is it that the sensor dies or the battery does? I know some people replace the battery and it works fine after. I don't know if that can be done with the BMWs.

Is it that the sensor dies or the battery does? I know some people replace the battery and it works fine after. I don't know if that can be done with the BMWs.

Generally it's the battery that dies. It can be replaced with some handiwork which at BMW's price of $150 each might be an attractive option, but as mentioned above you can get replacements from alternate sources at a fraction of that price so in that case it seems to make more sense just to replace the entire unit. The only downside of replacing the entire unit is that you will need a GS911 tool or a dealer to program the replacement serial number into your bike's TPMS module.

Archived