IGNORED

Help with pulsing front brake

kellenbenz

2008 R1200RT with 101870 miles.

I just replaced the front rotors because they were at minimum thickness (4mm). I replaced them with new EBC MD 803 rotors.I put all washers and shims back exactly as they were when I took them off. I torqued the NEW bolts first to 12 NM then to 24 NM in crisscross manner. I now have a horrible pulse that gets stronger the harder you brake. I can feel it in the lever also..

I have checked for wobble in the rotors and see none. I have measured the gap on the ABS sensor at about 1mm. There is a slight rub as you spin the wheel on the left caliper area. I did reuse the pads which were even and quite good looking.

I also hooked up the GS 911 and have no faults in the ABS or anywhere else.

I am running out of ideas.....any suggestions?

Ron

Afternoon Ron

No brake pulsation before new rotors/ brake pulsation after new rotors-- Obvious place to look is that the new rotors.

It might be a bent rotor, or mis-manufactured rotor, or a rotor with a thickness variation.

Unless really bent bad usually warped rotors don't give you a kickback into the brake lever.

On the other hand a rotor thickness variation can give you a very pronounced lever kick back or lever pulsation.

If you have access to a micrometer then you might mike the rotor thickness around it's circumference to see if you can find any thickness variation.

If a rotor problem found then EBC will probably replace them but they might not help you out without you telling them EXACTLY what is wrong with them.

In any case-- I would call EBC to get them involved in your troubleshooting as I'm sure they are used to dealing with new brake rotor customer issues.

For the time being I reinstalled the old rotors and the pulsing is gone. There went a day of my life without accomplishing anything....LOL

I'll see if EBC will do anything but I doubt it since I bought these on line.

Thanks for your help DR!

Ron

I thought I would leave praise for EBC. I emailed their support with a description on what went on and almost immediately got a reply with an offer to exchange both rotors. Now that is service!

I have the old ones in the mail to them and will let you know how the new ones work out.

Ron

Don_Eilenberger
I thought I would leave praise for EBC. I emailed their support with a description on what went on and almost immediately got a reply with an offer to exchange both rotors. Now that is service!

I have the old ones in the mail to them and will let you know how the new ones work out.

Ron

When I had a problem with one of their rotors - they just sent me a new one and said to toss the old one out.. they didn't want it back. Very nice company to deal with, so they get my recommendation when someone is looking for brake parts.

Archived