IGNORED

Wethead Small DRL Mounting....

moshe_levy

All-

Since the dawn of the modern Oilhead RT, we have been mounting small DRLs under the oil cooler. Still looks like there's plenty of space in that region under the cowl on the Wethead. Is anyone selling brackets to mount small DRLs there? So far I haven't seen any.

-MKL

No ideas because I didn't look for under-nose mounts like the R11xxRT or K12LT -- IMO, the DRLs are not far enough away from the headlight to be as effective as a larger light triangle.

Every little bit helps. On my older RTs I used to run Darlas under the oil cooler and Motolights on the forks, like this:

ymcartbigindian.jpg

All different colors, which in my opinion stood out in traffic like a sore thumb.

Eventually I added Kristas under the mirrors, too - which I then upgraded to Ericas when they became available. (Now there's Sevina, just in case you want to have a showdown with the sun!)

rt1200rtkristas.jpg

I am going to try to transfer that setup to the new bike, since I still have all these lights.

-MKL

If I ever find a good mount for up around mirror height, I will move my Ericas up there and install a set of Darlas on the engine bars where the Ericas currently reside. The Ericas down low are not nearly as effective at reaching down the road as they were up under the mirrors of my K16s.

I'm looking into it. Will let you know what I find because I agree with this completely. The big lights need to be up high and aimed downward and outward to light up the sides where the headlight beam tails off.

-MKL

I like the visibility of the extra lights. I installed Photon Blasters just for that reason. They have almost no usable light output as far as night vision goes. The flickering built into them along with the directional LED bulbs make them REALLY stand out in the daytime! I also like the wider "V" pattern mounting on the engine bars gives.

DSC01739_zpsxy3vkph7.jpg

DSC01740_zpslf28vjwl.jpg

Still..... The two torx bolts that hold the tupperware in place under the headlight ass'y are more or less the same location as the hexhead and oilhead, which used "EZ-Mounts" for under oil-cooler lights. In this case, they're spaced even more widely apart, leading to more clearance from the fender - a good thing. I'm really surprised nobody's making brackets yet. Some Darlas would fit very nicely there!

Realshelby-

I also have the Photon Blasters on my RT. They are great!. But, mounted on my front fork. I also have the Wunderlich engine guards like you and was wondering how you attached your lights to them. I like the look and spread of the lights.

Thanks.

The Wunderlich bars are thick enough to drill through then tap threads into them. I done that, then modified the aluminum bracket the Photon Blasters come with to fit nicely. Then simply installed them with a small bolt. I used the rigid plastic wire loom covers to cover the wires to them. That looks a lot better than wires hanging in the breeze.

It might be more simple to mount them to the fairing somewhere. But from the start this is where I wanted mine.

Thx!

The Wunderlich bars are thick enough to drill through then tap threads into them. I done that, then modified the aluminum bracket the Photon Blasters come with to fit nicely. Then simply installed them with a small bolt. I used the rigid plastic wire loom covers to cover the wires to them. That looks a lot better than wires hanging in the breeze.

It might be more simple to mount them to the fairing somewhere. But from the start this is where I wanted mine.

Archived